EDBEngineError "Invalid File Name"

I'm a newbie trying to teach myself database operation with Delphi II and
get a weird error when trying access a data base.

Here's the setup:

Set  up an alias with Data base desktop which continues to find the data
base under the named alias,  also Data Base Explorer can find the data base
under the alias.

I've set up and interconnected a TTable, DataSource and DBGrid with each
referring to the other appropriately and in the TTable I selected the alias
and .db (database) file.  However, whenever I attempt to set the Table
active I get an "Invalid File Name" message.

Also, when compiling and running the program I get a message "Exception
class EDBEngineError with message "Invalid File Name"".  The file name is
exactly the same as entered in the TTable and located in the alias' path.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why I get this error on table activation
when Delphi apparently can see and access it from every standpoint except
going "active"?  (The only oddity in my understanding is the data base is
empty - I'm trying to perform an initial load if that might have an impact.)

My sincerest thanks in advance for any help on this matter;
Tom Clydesdale

Re:EDBEngineError "Invalid File Name"

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:39:32 -0500, "Tom Clydesdale"

<tacly...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>I'm a newbie trying to teach myself database operation with Delphi II and
>get a weird error when trying access a data base.

>Here's the setup:

>Set  up an alias with Data base desktop which continues to find the data
>base under the named alias,  also Data Base Explorer can find the data base
>under the alias.

>I've set up and interconnected a TTable, DataSource and DBGrid with each
>referring to the other appropriately and in the TTable I selected the alias
>and .db (database) file.  However, whenever I attempt to set the Table
>active I get an "Invalid File Name" message.

Are you using the original version of the Borland Database Engine (BDE)
that came with Delphi 2? Do you have the Windows feature FAT32 enabled? If
yes to both, you may be encountering the conflict between the two. (My bet
is that this is the source of your difficulties.)

The solution is to either disable FAT32 or update your BDE to a later
version. Various 32-bit versions of the BDE are available for free download
from the BDE Developer Support page on the Web.

  http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/utilities.html

Steve Koterski                      "The knowledge of the world is only to
Technical Publications              be acquired in the world, and not in a
INPRISE Corporation                 closet."
http://www.inprise.com/delphi          -- Earl of Chesterfield (1694-1773)

Other Threads