Board index » delphi » Delphi 97 = No need for 3rd party Access tools?

Delphi 97 = No need for 3rd party Access tools?

Quote
gl...@big.aa.net wrote:
> I read a post yesterday that stated that Delphi 97 will offer a
> fast connection to MS-Access databases.  If this is true, will their
> be any future need for tools like Opus or JetDirect, or TitanAccess?
> In other words, will these tools offer anything that won't be part
> of Delphi 97?

Their biggest offering in the short term is stability & support.

Big changes are afoot re Delphi and BDE.  The backend (driver side)
of BDE is being opened up so 3rd parties can write their own drivers.
As a part of this development Borland have added native drivers for
Access and Foxpro.  Exactly how good these 1.0 drivers will be when
Delphi 3.0 ships remains to be seen, but I doubt they'll be too
unreliable as in some of Borland's latest blurb they're trumpeting
their Access support in a big way.

(The other big change is that Delphi 3.0 is providing support for
direct use of latest ODBC drivers, bypassing the BDE, but that's
another story.)

Bear in mind that Delphi 3.0 probably won't land on our desks until
the mid/end of May.  That, together with likelihood of some 1.0 bugs
creeping in, is important.  Those needing to ship Access support
in a commercial D2 product within next 6 months probably should
go with a 3rd party vendor like those you mentioned: their products
are sure to be more polished and stable than the out-of-box
Access driver.  Most of them have developed sizeable customer
bases by now, so there's a good chance you'll be able to get your
problems solved quickly - more so than with a totally new product.

However if your deadline isn't so strict then obviously it's worth
waiting to see what problems people have with the Access driver.
With any luck it'll be solid and you'll have saved a couple of
hundred $$.  But if not then those vendors will continue to enjoy
good sales.

BTW, one of the best sources of facts & speculation on
Delphi 3.0 can be found at:
  http://www.{*word*104}us.ca/~bclarke/d97.html

 

Re:Delphi 97 = No need for 3rd party Access tools?


From what I have heard there will be a direct linkt to the ODBC. If we will
need third party tools its only a question of how well have designed the
link to ODBC. If that link will be slow while working with high amounts of
records well then other tools will be needed. Then its a question of
features e tc. If you take for example the DBGrid it will only due for
simpler application but when you need features as a scrollbar in the right
position, checkbox and memofields within the grid well then you need some
third party tools.

all from me :o) F.Larsson

--
:o) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mail2f...@hotmail.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (o:

gl...@big.aa.net skrev i inl?gg <5etjhi$...@big.aa.net>...

Quote
> I read a post yesterday that stated that Delphi 97 will offer a
> fast connection to MS-Access databases.  If this is true, will their
> be any future need for tools like Opus or JetDirect, or TitanAccess?
> In other words, will these tools offer anything that won't be part
> of Delphi 97?

> Thanks,
> Glenn
> gl...@aa.net

Re:Delphi 97 = No need for 3rd party Access tools?


Quote
gl...@big.aa.net wrote:
>I read a post yesterday that stated that Delphi 97 will offer a
>fast connection to MS-Access databases.  If this is true, will their
>be any future need for tools like Opus or JetDirect, or TitanAccess?
>In other words, will these tools offer anything that won't be part
>of Delphi 97?

>Thanks,
>Glenn
>gl...@aa.net

Sorry I don't know your problem, but I realy interest about the 3rd
party Access tools like Opus or JetDirect, or TitanAccess.

Which one is the best that you have tried. and Where to found the 3rd
party or where to buy it.

I really want it . the ODBC to Access is too slow to me!

Thank

Re:Delphi 97 = No need for 3rd party Access tools?


On 25 Feb 1997 23:27:40 GMT, "Fredrik Larsson" <Mail2F...@Hotmail.com>
wrote:

Quote
>From what I have heard there will be a direct linkt to the ODBC. If we will
>need third party tools its only a question of how well have designed the
>link to ODBC. If that link will be slow while working with high amounts of
>records well then other tools will be needed. Then its a question of
>features e tc. If you take for example the DBGrid it will only due for
>simpler application but when you need features as a scrollbar in the right
>position, checkbox and memofields within the grid well then you need some
>third party tools.

wrong... delphi 3.0's BDE can access the microsoft Access .MDB files
directly...without using odbc.  at least that is what a very close
friend told me.

but you didn't hear it from me.

Other Threads