RichEdit and Oracle

Win 95, D 3.02, DOA to Oracle on a remote server.

I seem to reach a limit of 65K bytes in a RichEdit control.  If I try to
type any more, nothing happens.  It's like I got to the end of a field
(i.e. 30 bytes for a name).  Oracle says there are no limits to the Long
field I'm using.  DOA says there are no limits.  Delphi RichEdit says if
I specify 0 for MaxLength is not limited.

I guess there is a Win95 limit somewhere, but I can't find where.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Alan.S.MacArt...@boeing.com

Re:RichEdit and Oracle

Hello Alan,

You might try this line of code.

    Memo1.MaxLength := High (Integer) - 1024;

It appears that the default value of 0 sets a limit of 64kb.

Enjoy,
Bill.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:42:04 GMT, Alan MacArthur

<alan.s.macart...@boeing.com> wrote:
>Win 95, D 3.02, DOA to Oracle on a remote server.

>I seem to reach a limit of 65K bytes in a RichEdit control.  If I try to
>type any more, nothing happens.  It's like I got to the end of a field
>(i.e. 30 bytes for a name).  Oracle says there are no limits to the Long
>field I'm using.  DOA says there are no limits.  Delphi RichEdit says if
>I specify 0 for MaxLength is not limited.

>I guess there is a Win95 limit somewhere, but I can't find where.  Any
>ideas?

>Thanks,
>Alan.S.MacArt...@boeing.com

Re:RichEdit and Oracle

>You might try this line of code.
>    Memo1.MaxLength := High (Integer) - 1024;

>>I seem to reach a limit of 65K bytes in a RichEdit control.  If I try to
>>type any more, nothing happens. [snip]

I find this whole issue to be a complete pain. It seems to depend on
which version of the richedit DLL you have that determines whether
setting maxlength works or not. Of course, you can't be sure which
version of the DLL a user's PC will have.

It always seems to work on NT - ie you can set the limit to anything
up to a Gb or so.

On Windows 95/98 it seems to *usually* work provided you are only
writing 'straight' text to the richedit using, for example :

   richedit1.lines.add ('text');

As soon as you start writing text and then colouring it in by setting
text attributes etc, the 64Kb limit seems to apply whatever you set
maxlength to on 95/98.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I've not found a reliable way
to write over 64Kb of coloured text to a richedit on every PC.

Steve

--
Helpburger - easy and affordable Windows Help Authoring
http://www.langdaledesigns.co.uk/hb/helpburger.htm

Other Threads