Best Client-GUI for the Web (repost)

I'm in the design of a complex app. I want to provide a cross-plataform
solution (that its, Windows(or .NET), Linux, Web).

That have a lot of troubles, for example, i want to use Bold but not work
under linux now, etc... but my main concern now is the client part.

My first inclination is build 1-3 GUI clients (Win/Linux/Web), but this can
overkill my plans...so i think in unify the client in the Web side. However,
my kind of aplications is the worst for put in Web Client..is like a ERP,
with (maybe) grapics, validations build for the end-user, dinamic creation
of the forms, etc... Think now in the something close to a POS....

I'm coding a similar solution (other ERP) and use ASP.NET. The server-side
is fine but the client-side is a nightmare, because the interaction is soo
slow (however my boss like that)... The stateless nature of the web and the
limited HTML tool-set is overkill enough for a user for consider not usable
my kind of app...

So, i want to know if exist a kind of replacement of the HTML good enough to
emulate a fast native GUI, in a cross-over way...

My first tentation come to Flash, but i'm not sure...

Re:Best Client-GUI for the Web (repost)

Mamcx wrote:
> I'm in the design of a complex app. I want to provide a cross-plataform
> solution (that its, Windows(or .NET), Linux, Web).

If you can get the users to use Mozilla instead of IE, there is a very good
add on lib to help with GUI Web front end development. Mozilla has many
good features and an open API for developers.

If not, then Java or Flash are the other alternatives. Flash MX uses Java as
its scripting language, so using one will introduce you to the other.

Re:Best Client-GUI for the Web (repost)

Where is that info about Mozilla???

Also, with Flash MX i need instal the Java runtime??? or is only compatible
sintax??

Anyway, in Colombia everybody use IE and is hard push someting else (only
linux become a option when the law enforce legal licences) so i like to know
if Flash MX is viable, and how much...

pnichols <p...@comp.net> wrote in news:3e8244ed@newsgroups.borland.com:

> If you can get the users to use Mozilla instead of IE, there is a very
> good add on lib to help with GUI Web front end development.

if you're talking about XUL/XPCOM, it's not really an add on.  It's the
foundation for all of mozilla.  Some good resources are found at
www.mozdev.org, www.xulplanet.com, www.mozillazine.org.

--
Iman

There appear to be absolutely no rules in Hollywood. It is anarchy.
Hollywood is essentially Thunder Dome with fake {*word*12}. - Peter DeWolf

Re:Best Client-GUI for the Web (repost)

You use that?? Is enough usefull? how compete with Flash??

If i need force to install a diferent browser, i need compelling
reason...(or is available like a plugin?)

Re:Best Client-GUI for the Web (repost)

"Mamcx" <thism...@notexist.com> wrote in

> You use that?? Is enough usefull? how compete with Flash??

Not yet :).  There's seems to be a large learning curve.

> If i need force to install a diferent browser, i need compelling
> reason...(or is available like a plugin?)

There's a group working on a MRE(mozilla runtime environment), kinda like
the JRE.  But I don't think you could get this to run in IE.

--

Iman L Crawford <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com> wrote:

> pnichols <p...@comp.net> wrote in news:3e8244ed@newsgroups.borland.com:
>> If you can get the users to use Mozilla instead of IE, there is a very
>> good add on lib to help with GUI Web front end development.

> if you're talking about XUL/XPCOM, it's not really an add on.  It's the
> foundation for all of mozilla.  Some good resources are found at
> www.mozdev.org, www.xulplanet.com, www.mozillazine.org.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the article about a new tool that ties into the
XPCOM framework that alow kind of a drag and drop routine using
Dreamweaver, to create your Mozilla Forms. But of course you are right
about the former <G>.

Mamcx wrote:
> Where is that info about Mozilla???

> Also, with Flash MX i need instal the Java runtime??? or is only
> compatible sintax??

No Flash uses the Flash Plugin. The Syntax is now Java style for the
Scripting language of Flash MX (which is pretty cool, because most Web
Development IT team use Java, so it makes it much easier for Java
Developers to also be familiar with Flash and visa versa).

> Anyway, in Colombia everybody use IE and is hard push someting else (only
> linux become a option when the law enforce legal licences) so i like to
> know if Flash MX is viable, and how much...

Flash is viable and runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac. How viable would depend
upon your application requirements. Personally I use Flash for Graphics
based development (it does a very good job with Graphics), but I tend to
stick with Dynamic HTML/XHTML when developing Web sites. If I am doing
Intranet, I will use Java Applets for Database centric development and when
I need a richer GUI than DHTML can afford.

Internet is "the world" and you cannot depend upon users (generally) to be
able to down.oad and install all of the plugins they need to run "X", nor
can you depend upon a particular OS being used, nor a particular browser.
That is why I try to avoid using Plugins, not because I do not like what
many of them offer.

I too wish we had a browser framework that would offer a full and rich GUI
type environment. But until someone offers/creates such an envrionment,
which has an open source/open standards API framework, which would be
adhered to by everyone (including one particular company whose loves the
word proprietary), I do not see this happening.

Other Threads