Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

I'm using Delpji 2.0 pro. version.  No SQL-Links and no Delphi
clients/server. Just straight delphi  2.0 linlink to NT 3.51 and a MS-SQL
6.0  backend. My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as to why
it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10 forms.
I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem could be
here?

Can anybody help? I'm desperate? My Clients want to skin me alive!!!

Thanks
John

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

John King wrote:

> I'm using Delpji 2.0 pro. version.  No SQL-Links and no Delphi
> clients/server. Just straight delphi  2.0 linlink to NT 3.51 and a MS-SQL
> 6.0  backend. My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as to why
> it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10 forms.
> I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem could be
> here?

> Can anybody help? I'm desperate? My Clients want to skin me alive!!!

> Thanks
> John

I would seriously look at your use of ODBC to connect to the MS-SQL
backend. ODBC is inherently slow. BTW, did this problem not manifest
itself during development, or were you using the local Interbase Server
for development?
Regards,

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

1. Never use tables against SQL-Backends !
2. Use SQL-Links V3.5 with BDE 3.5
3. Rewrite your startup so only the queries you need are opened and
filter the data as much as possible.

Christian Kaas, c.k...@osn.de
>Software-, Projektrealisierung u. Beratung
>640kB ought to be enough memory ! - Bill Gates 1981

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

John,

Our company hit all sorts of speed bottlenecks using the BDE to access MS
SQL.  We started out with the C/S version and SQL-Links and finally
ditched the BDE for ODBC Express.  While ODBC Express has some quirks, it
is much faster than the BDE.  The big drawback is that OE doesn't work
with Delphi's bound controls, but we prefer handle all of the SQL code
ourselves.

Chris Miller
Stochos Inc.

John King wrote:

> I'm using Delpji 2.0 pro. version.  No SQL-Links and no Delphi
> clients/server. Just straight delphi  2.0 linlink to NT 3.51 and a MS-SQL
> 6.0  backend. My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as to why
> it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10 forms.
> I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem could be
> here?

> Can anybody help? I'm desperate? My Clients want to skin me alive!!!

> Thanks
> John

What version of SQL Links are you usign ?

Performance of versions before v.3.5 is very, very poor using MS SQL.
We use Delphi 2.0 and MS SQL 6.5 and had the same problem when we were
using version 3.12, then we upgrade to version 3.5 and now the
application runs fine.

Carlos.

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

Your likely problem is using TTables instead of TQuery.  Use TQuery with
its SQL property  to request only the records you need.  With TTables, the
database engine brings everything from the server to the client to do the
sorting, retrieving, etc.  Such is fine with small tables containing a
small amount of data, however, with large tables, it takes a long time to
bring in all the data to the workstation.
Gene

Norman McFarlane <nmcsy...@iafrica.com> wrote in article
<32F3E2B7.7...@iafrica.com>...

> John King wrote:

> > I'm using Delpji 2.0 pro. version.  No SQL-Links and no Delphi
> > clients/server. Just straight delphi  2.0 linlink to NT 3.51 and a
MS-SQL
> > 6.0  backend. My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as to
why
> > it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10
forms.
> > I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem
could be
> > here?

> > Can anybody help? I'm desperate? My Clients want to skin me alive!!!

> > Thanks
> > John
> I would seriously look at your use of ODBC to connect to the MS-SQL
> backend. ODBC is inherently slow. BTW, did this problem not manifest
> itself during development, or were you using the local Interbase Server
> for development?
> Regards,

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

When I initially got the client server edition of Delphi, I tested the SQL
Links against ODBC and Links was noticably faster.  Recently, I upgraded to
the new BDE and SQL links, and the speed increase is amazing.

Delphi with the latest Links and MS-SQL is very quick IMHO.

Jim Scofield
jscofi...@mindspring.com

Gene <ge...@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<01bc146d$13b9b660$d79679a8@svr-htchsn>...

> Your likely problem is using TTables instead of TQuery.  Use TQuery with
> its SQL property  to request only the records you need.  With TTables,
the
> database engine brings everything from the server to the client to do the
> sorting, retrieving, etc.  Such is fine with small tables containing a
> small amount of data, however, with large tables, it takes a long time to
> bring in all the data to the workstation.
> Gene

> Norman McFarlane <nmcsy...@iafrica.com> wrote in article
> <32F3E2B7.7...@iafrica.com>...
> > John King wrote:

> > > I'm using Delpji 2.0 pro. version.  No SQL-Links and no Delphi
> > > clients/server. Just straight delphi  2.0 linlink to NT 3.51 and a
> MS-SQL
> > > 6.0  backend. My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as
> why
> > > it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10
> forms.
> > > I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem
> could be
> > > here?

> > > Can anybody help? I'm desperate? My Clients want to skin me alive!!!

> > > Thanks
> > > John
> > I would seriously look at your use of ODBC to connect to the MS-SQL
> > backend. ODBC is inherently slow. BTW, did this problem not manifest
> > itself during development, or were you using the local Interbase Server
> > for development?
> > Regards,

Re:Delphi 2.0 Interface to MS SQL speed problems.

> >My app. take about 20 minutes to load. I'm stumped as to why
> >it takes so long. The app opens 5 tables on startup as well as 10 forms.
> >I'm using Ttable components to connect via BDE to ODBC the problem could
be
> >here?

John,

Chris is correct.  The new BDE really speeds the connection to M$SQL.  Just
go to www.borland.com and look in the delphi area.

Other Threads