ASCII Databases

Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I tried to
import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi Documentation you
can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

Thanks
-Alex

Re:ASCII Databases

asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at (Schatten Alexander) wrote:
>Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I tried to
>import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi Documentation you
>can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

I finally gave up and wrote my own!

You may want to try the VCL I wrote that converts an ASCII file to a table.  It
is called dbcvt.exe (self extracting) and can be found at my home page
(www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html) or at the Deplhi Superpage.  I am about to
release (well...after the holidays) a new, updated, more featured version so if
you like it, check back in a few weeks and you may be supprised with the
features I have added.

-------------------------------------
Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
-------------------------------------

Re:ASCII Databases

When I installed Delphi from the CDROM, there is a file
ASCIIDRV.TXT in the directory \DELPHI\DOC that explains how to use
an ASCII file as if it were a database table.  I haven't tried
using this information -- so I don't know if it works.

--
Earl F. Glynn
Staff Scientist

Re:ASCII Databases

In article <4bih9j$19...@mhafm.production.compuserve.com>
           73257.3...@CompuServe.COM "Earl F. Glynn" writes:

>When I installed Delphi from the CDROM, there is a file
>ASCIIDRV.TXT in the directory \DELPHI\DOC that explains how to use
>an ASCII file as if it were a database table.  I haven't tried
>using this information -- so I don't know if it works.

There is also Borland's TI2844 which is a better explanation. It
works but is a pain to use.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Re:ASCII Databases

In <4bdmfa$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill Florac)
writes:

>asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at (Schatten Alexander) wrote:

>>Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I
tried to
>>import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi
Documentation you
>>can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

>I finally gave up and wrote my own!

>You may want to try the VCL I wrote that converts an ASCII file to a
table.  It
>is called dbcvt.exe (self extracting) and can be found at my home page
>(www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html) or at the Deplhi Superpage.  I am
about to
>release (well...after the holidays) a new, updated, more featured
version so if
>you like it, check back in a few weeks and you may be supprised with
the
>features I have added.

>-------------------------------------
>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>-------------------------------------

I've had the same need recently and this is what I came up with.
Note:  This method is good for a one shot deal.

There is a file in the Doc dir of Delphi called ASCIIDRV.TXT that
expalins this.  In essence you need a delimited file if you are getting
a variable length ASCII file or no delimitations if it is a fixed legth
file.  Next you have to write a schema file with the extemsion .sch.
This basically describes the ASCII file.  Next you throw 2 tTables, a
tBatchmove and a grid(optional on a form.  You change the TableType
property for the ASCII table to ttASCII.  Create a table in database
desktop just so that you can enter the name of it the other tTable
component. Now if you've done all that just right click on the
tBatchmove component, click on execute and watch the table being
transferred in the grid.  This is poorly documented within Delphi.  If
you have any further questions you can EMail me.

Good Luck

Ben Arrow

Re:ASCII Databases

asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at (Schatten Alexander) wrote:
>Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I tried to
>import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi Documentation you
>can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

I gave up working around all the bugs and limitation in the ASCII driver and
wrote my own VCL.  It can be found on the Delphi Super Wep page or on my home
page at http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html.  It offers many more features and
does not require a external file.
-------------------------------------

In <4c7926$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill Florac)
writes:

>asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at (Schatten Alexander) wrote:

>>Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I
tried to
>>import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi
Documentation you
>>can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

>I gave up working around all the bugs and limitation in the ASCII
driver and
>wrote my own VCL.  It can be found on the Delphi Super Wep page or on
my home
>page at http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html.  It offers many more
features and
>does not require a external file.
>-------------------------------------
>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>-------------------------------------

Importing an ASCII file is rather simple.  Just read ASCIIDRV.txt in
\delphi\docs.  Basically you should have a schema file and then you can
use tBatchmove.  You dont even have to compile your project.  Just
right click tBatchmove and select execute.  That's all !
It is true that it is not documented but it's rather simple.
Ben
Arrow

Re:ASCII Databases

arr...@ix.netcom.com(Arrow ) wrote:
>In <4c7926$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill Florac)
>writes:

>>asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at (Schatten Alexander) wrote:

>>>Can sombody give me information about the ASCII format in DBTable - I
>tried to
>>>import an ASCII table with no success, because in the Delphi
>Documentation you
>>>can find a lot about DBase and Paradox, but nothing about ASCII!

>>I gave up working around all the bugs and limitation in the ASCII
>driver and
>>wrote my own VCL.  It can be found on the Delphi Super Wep page or on
>my home
>>page at http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html.  It offers many more
>features and
>>does not require a external file.
>>-------------------------------------
>>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>>-------------------------------------

>Importing an ASCII file is rather simple.  Just read ASCIIDRV.txt in
>\delphi\docs.  Basically you should have a schema file and then you can
>use tBatchmove.  You dont even have to compile your project.  Just
>right click tBatchmove and select execute.  That's all !
>It is true that it is not documented but it's rather simple.
>Ben
>Arrow

There are some documented errors in the ASCIIDRV.txt file as well as a number of
bugs.  For the files I was inporting the Batchmove just did not work (GPF's).
It took six calls to Borland to find someone who even new that the BatchMove
worked with ASCII files.  This person told me "we are suprised it works at all
because there are so many bugs in it".  Either way, it cannot handle records
longer than 256 bytes nor memo fields.  I have just release a new version of my
VCL for importing ASCII files. (rev 1.3) It can be found at my URL:
http://sumac.etcconnect.com/~fitco/

-------------------------------------

In <4ct33e$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill Florac)
writes:

>arr...@ix.netcom.com(Arrow ) wrote:

>>In <4c7926$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill
Florac)
>>writes:

>>tried to
>>Documentation you

>>>I gave up working around all the bugs and limitation in the ASCII
>>driver and
>>>wrote my own VCL.  It can be found on the Delphi Super Wep page or
on
>>my home
>>>page at http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html.  It offers many more
>>features and
>>>does not require a external file.
>>>-------------------------------------
>>>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>>>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>>>-------------------------------------

>>Importing an ASCII file is rather simple.  Just read ASCIIDRV.txt in
>>\delphi\docs.  Basically you should have a schema file and then you
can
>>use tBatchmove.  You dont even have to compile your project.  Just
>>right click tBatchmove and select execute.  That's all !
>>It is true that it is not documented but it's rather simple.
>>Ben
>>Arrow

>There are some documented errors in the ASCIIDRV.txt file as well as a
number of
>bugs.  For the files I was inporting the Batchmove just did not work
(GPF's).
>It took six calls to Borland to find someone who even new that the
BatchMove
>worked with ASCII files.  This person told me "we are suprised it
works at all
>because there are so many bugs in it".  Either way, it cannot handle
records
>longer than 256 bytes nor memo fields.  I have just release a new
version of my
>VCL for importing ASCII files. (rev 1.3) It can be found at my URL:
>http://sumac.etcconnect.com/~fitco/

>-------------------------------------
>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>-------------------------------------

It is bad business practice to kill someone elses product then promote
yours over that dead body.  I therefore highly doubt you
professionalism.  It took me one call to BorlandAssist to get the
information.  I used it approx 10 times without a snag.  It is not that
buggy as you state.  True - It has its limitations. If yours is better
just state your case to the audience without falsehoods and outright
lies.
Ben
Arrow

Re:ASCII Databases

arr...@ix.netcom.com(Arrow ) wrote:
>In <4ct33e$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill Florac)
>writes:

>>arr...@ix.netcom.com(Arrow ) wrote:

>>>In <4c7926$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com (Bill
>Florac)

>>>tried to
>>>Documentation you

>>>driver and
>on
>>>my home
>>>features and

>>>Importing an ASCII file is rather simple.  Just read ASCIIDRV.txt in
>>>\delphi\docs.  Basically you should have a schema file and then you
>can
>>>use tBatchmove.  You dont even have to compile your project.  Just
>>>right click tBatchmove and select execute.  That's all !
>>>It is true that it is not documented but it's rather simple.
>>>Ben
>>>Arrow

>>There are some documented errors in the ASCIIDRV.txt file as well as a
>number of
>>bugs.  For the files I was inporting the Batchmove just did not work
>(GPF's).
>>It took six calls to Borland to find someone who even new that the
>BatchMove
>>worked with ASCII files.  This person told me "we are suprised it
>works at all
>>because there are so many bugs in it".  Either way, it cannot handle
>records
>>longer than 256 bytes nor memo fields.  I have just release a new
>version of my
>>VCL for importing ASCII files. (rev 1.3) It can be found at my URL:
>>http://sumac.etcconnect.com/~fitco/

>>-------------------------------------
>>Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
>>Fitco: http://www.etcconnect.com/fitco.html
>>-------------------------------------

>It is bad business practice to kill someone elses product then promote
>yours over that dead body.  I therefore highly doubt you
>professionalism.  It took me one call to BorlandAssist to get the
>information.  I used it approx 10 times without a snag.  It is not that
>buggy as you state.  True - It has its limitations. If yours is better
>just state your case to the audience without falsehoods and outright
>lies.

1) I apologize if this offends you and infact, I will retract my statements.  It
was not my intention to promote my product nor offend anyone.  I fact, the VCL
is freeware so any promotion does me no personal good.  I was just descriping my
experiences.

2) The experiece above IS exactly as it happened and the quote is exactly what
the support person told me over the phone. I was so shocked at what they said, I
wrote it down at the time.  I have had no other problems with Borlands support
and I love Delphi.

3) There ARE bugs in the DBE ascii driver as well as mistakes in the
ASCIIDRV.TXT file. The mistakes in the ASCIIDRV.TXT file are documented at a
number of web sites.  With simple space delmited text files you would not see
the bugs. However, it does have problems importing some CSV files exported from
other programs.  The problem seems to be the way embedded commas and quotes are
handled.

4) My drive to write a freeware VCL was for the following reasons:
   - I was fustrated by the BDE ASCII driver.
   - I found others fustrated and confused about the driver on the
     news groups.
   - For the application I was writing (again not for profit) I needed more
     features (records longer than 255 characters).
   - I wanted to see what it took to write a VCL and associated help
     files.
  To my delite, the users that have used previous versions of this VCL
  have loved using it and have offered many suggestions (hence release 1.3).

5) My only gain is my personal statisfaction that I have helped someone with
their problems, reduce their fustration, and improved their programming skills.
For this reason, I include all source code, a demo program and a full featured
help file that looks like Borland wrote it.

Have a nice day.
-------------------------------------
Bill Florac: fl...@etcconnect.com
Fitco: http://sumac.etcconnect.com/~fitco/
-------------------------------------

Re:ASCII Databases

In article <4cvph0$...@grandcanyon.binc.net> fl...@etcconnect.com writes:
>>It is bad business practice to kill someone elses product then promote

etc.

>1) I apologize if this offends you and infact, I will retract my statements. > It
>was not my intention to promote my product nor offend anyone.  I fact, the VCL

etc

>Have a nice day.

<g>

Well said, Bill. Nice component, too.

--
cheers,
peter

     Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
 TCompress File and Blob Compression Components: http://www.href.com/software
<<< Humour, science, skeptics and SCA at: http://www.spis.co.nz/spis >>>
           ... and ... "Climbing Out on the Web" -- A Web Site Primer

Other Threads