NTVDM CPU error?

I have a program compiled with TP 7 that runs in the DOS prompt on my
old computer (P-II, WinME).  (The program doesn't use any units.)  On
my new Athlon with Windows XP I get the following message:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

prompt <program name>

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal operation.
CS: 00a7
IP: 12a3
OP: 0f 10 11 12 13
Choose 'close' to terminate the application

The message comes up immediately.  The first statement executed in the
program is a write statement, and it isn't executed.

What could be the problem?

Re:NTVDM CPU error?

Jan Philips wrote:
> I have a program compiled with TP 7 that runs in the DOS prompt on my
> old computer (P-II, WinME).  (The program doesn't use any units.)  On
> my new Athlon with Windows XP I get the following message:

> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

> prompt <program name>

> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal operation.
> CS: 00a7
> IP: 12a3
> OP: 0f 10 11 12 13
> Choose 'close' to terminate the application

> The message comes up immediately.  The first statement executed in the
> program is a write statement, and it isn't executed.

> What could be the problem?

Do you have the source code? If yes, could you post the relevant parts?
Just the beginning few lines where the error occurs...
What comipler settings were used at compile time?
Do CTRL-O twice in the IDE and give us the first two lines wich show up
then...

Greetings

Markus

Re:NTVDM CPU error?

"Markus Humm" <markus.h...@freenet.de> wrote in message

> Jan Philips wrote:

> > I have a program compiled with TP 7 that runs in the DOS prompt on my
> > old computer (P-II, WinME).  (The program doesn't use any units.)  On
> > my new Athlon with Windows XP I get the following message:

> > 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

> > prompt <program name>

> > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal operation.
> > CS: 00a7
> > IP: 12a3
> > OP: 0f 10 11 12 13
> > Choose 'close' to terminate the application

> > The message comes up immediately.  The first statement executed in the
> > program is a write statement, and it isn't executed.

> > What could be the problem?

> Do you have the source code? If yes, could you post the relevant parts?
> Just the beginning few lines where the error occurs...
> What comipler settings were used at compile time?
> Do CTRL-O twice in the IDE and give us the first two lines wich show up
> then...

Might be worth doing a "Search for error" at address 00A7:12A3 while you're
in the IDE there. If you have the source code for the part of the program
where the crash happened, it might show you something. Since you don't use
any units, in particular CRT, and since the offset is not 0091, it's not the
normal error that people get when they buy a new computer.

Although "0F 10 11 12 13" looks like a peculiar sequence of opcodes, if
that's what "OP" means. Looks more like data. Maybe you've jumped through an
invalid pointer.

FP

Other Threads