Missing text when opening notepad from within Delphi 6

Hopefully someone can help me with this since I'm not sure what's
going on. I've written a program that goes through a standard text
file, parses some information from it, and then writes the parsed
information to a new standard text file. This part works great with no
problems.

Next the program launches notepad.exe with this new text file as its
parameter so the use can view it. Here's were the problem happens. On
longer files some of the ending text gets cut off. Shorter files seem
to have no problem. Since the program is so small I've included the
whole parse/view routine. Below that I've pasted the actual text file
it's having problems with. When it gets to the last line "Uklaa
purchased 1 Jade Chokidai Prod for ( 474p)." it cuts off the text
after the first number 4.

If I try to open this text file outside of Delphi using notepad it
works just fine.

Thanks,
Jason

procedure TForm1.btnProcessClick(Sender: TObject);
var
  {Textfile variables}
  EQFile, OutFile: TextFile;
  EQText: String;
  {CreateProcess variables}
  si: TStartupInfo;
  pi: TProcessInformation;
  {Windows directory variables}
  WinDir: String;
  Len: Integer;
begin
  try
    if dlgFileName.Execute then
      begin
        {Open the bazaar file for reading}
        AssignFile(EQFile, dlgFileName.FileName);
        Reset(EQFile);

        {Open the output file and clear it for writing}
        AssignFile(OutFile, ExtractFilePath(dlgFileName.FileName) +
'Purchases.txt');
        ReWrite(OutFile);

        {Parse the text file}
        while not EOF(EQFile) do
          begin
            ReadLn(EQFile, EQText);
            if (Pos('purchased', EQText) > 0) and
(Pos('right-clicking', EQText) = 0) then
              begin
                {Purchase line of text}
                EQText := Trim(Copy(EQText, Pos(']', EQText) + 1,
Length(EQText)));
                WriteLn(OutFile, Copy(EQText, 1, Length(EQText)));

        {Get the windows directory}
        SetLength(WinDir, 255);
        Len := GetWindowsDirectory(PChar(WinDir), 255);
        SetLength(WinDir, Len);

        {Create the process and execute the file}
        FillChar(si, SizeOf(TStartupInfo), 0);
        si.dwFlags := STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW;
        si.wShowWindow := SW_SHOWNORMAL;
        CreateProcess(PChar(WinDir + '\Notepad.exe'),
          PChar(' ' + ExtractFilePath(dlgFileName.FileName) +
'Purchases.txt'),
          nil, nil, False, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, nil, nil, si, pi);

        Sleep(1000);

        {Clear the EQText file if requested}
        if MessageBox(Handle, 'Processing complete. Do you want to
clear the' +
          ' log file?', 'Clear Log', MB_ICONQUESTION + MB_YESNO +
          MB_SYSTEMMODAL) = mrYes then
          ReWrite(EQFile);

        {Close out the files}
        CloseFile(EQFile);
        CloseFile(OutFile);
      end;
  except
    on E:Exception do
      begin
        MessageBox(Handle, PChar(E.Message), 'File Error',
MB_ICONERROR);
        if TTextRec(EQFile).Mode <> fmClosed then
          CloseFile(EQFile);
        if TTextRec(OutFile).Mode <> fmClosed then
          CloseFile(OutFile);

Llauron purchased 1 Block of Acrylia Ore for ( 55p).
Dachunk purchased 1 Small Piece of Acrylia for ( 40p).
Tenebrus purchased 13 Bone Chips for ( 3p 9g).
Zappz purchased 3 Woven Spider Silk for ( 1p 5g).
Cluff purchased 3 Tares Lichen for ( 3p).
Arakias purchased 1 Windstone for ( 199p).
Scroo purchased 1 Gatorscale Leggings for ( 300p).
Doloroso purchased 2 Bone Chips for ( 6g).
Rastafa purchased 3 Terrorantula Silk for ( 30p).
Vertuos purchased 6 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 30p).
Fang purchased 1 Woven Frost Giant Beard for ( 20p).
Rysha purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 8p).
Yisbik purchased 1 Permafrost Crystals for ( 25p).
Znuj purchased 2 Griffon Feathers for ( 9p).
Fang purchased 1 Woven Frost Giant Beard for ( 20p).
Zhazha purchased 1 A Faded Velishoul's Tome Page for ( 5p).
Zhazha purchased 1 A Faded Velishoul's Tome Page for ( 5p).
Rollar purchased 1 Mammoth Hide Leggings for ( 68p).
Leli purchased 1 Permafrost Crystals for ( 30p).
Leli purchased 1 Permafrost Crystals for ( 30p).
Leli purchased 1 Permafrost Crystals for ( 30p).
Peru purchased 1 Centi Toes for ( 10p).
Ellorya purchased 20 Bone Chips for ( 6p).
Ellorya purchased 12 Bone Chips for ( 3p 6g).
Enas purchased 1 Nilitim's Grimoire Pg. 300 for ( 4p).
Bazaarho purchased 1 Griffon Feathers for ( 4p 5g).
Fodor purchased 2 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 10p).
Shazba purchased 1 Essence of Shadow for ( 20p).
Shazba purchased 1 Essence of Shadow for ( 20p).
Zyrdae purchased 2 Permafrost Crystals for ( 68p).
Genor purchased 1 Ulthork Hide Legs for ( 5p).
Azieru purchased 1 Velium War Maul for ( 48p).
Fodor purchased 1 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 5p).
Mendari purchased 1 Lichenclover for ( 3p).
Taladael purchased 1 Part of Tasarin's Grimoire Pg. 312 for ( 4p).
Taladael purchased 1 Part of Tasarin's Grimoire Pg. 312 for ( 4p).
Taladael purchased 1 Part of Tasarin's Grimoire Pg. 312 for ( 4p).
Taladael purchased 1 Part of Tasarin's Grimoire Pg. 312 for ( 4p).
Rayni purchased 1 Runed Circlet for ( 155p).
Lisandra purchased 1 Iceball for ( 30p).
Jhet purchased 14 Fish Rolls for ( 12p 6g).
Lohst purchased 2 Glove of Rallos Zek for ( 10p).
Elior purchased 1 Frozen Mantle for ( 30p).
Mepurty purchased 2 Permafrost Crystals for ( 72p).
Fornan purchased 1 White Wolf-hide Cloak for ( 150p).
Venix purchased 2 Ulthork Meat for ( 8p).
Venix purchased 1 Snow Bunny Meat for ( 4p).
Venix purchased 1 Snow Bunny Meat for ( 4p).
Charlona purchased 4 Bone Chips for ( 1p 2g 4s).
Vegeda purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 4p 9g).
Vegeda purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 4p 9g).
Vegeda purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 4p 9g).
Vegeda purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 4p 9g).
Bodcea purchased 2 Words of the Suffering for ( 6p).
Bodcea purchased 3 Words of Disillusionment for ( 15p).
Bodcea purchased 1 Words of Collection (Beza) for ( 3p).
Taladael purchased 1 A Faded Salil's Writ Page for ( 10p).
Villiam purchased 1 Patch of Gnoll Fur for ( 1p).
Foldarn purchased 1 Permafrost Crystals for ( 36p).
Vertuos purchased 13 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 65p).
Soulcifer purchased 1 Block of Velium for ( 75p).
Uugypoo purchased 5 Ulthork Meat for ( 20p).
Greenhead purchased 20 Bone Chips for ( 6p 2g).
Anasu purchased 1 Froglok {*word*76} for ( 5p).
Keeni purchased 1 Velium War Maul for ( 45p).
Skyfyere purchased 2 Salil's Writ Pg. 288 for ( 6p).
Ghaej purchased 1 Ulthork Hide Legs for ( 5p).
Strongholdd purchased 1 Split Paw Hide Tunic for ( 3p).
Caressable purchased 1 Frozen Mantle for ( 30p).
Tanjibul purchased 1 Salil's Writ Pg. 174 for ( 5p).
Sumamax purchased 1 Glove of Rallos Zek for ( 5p).
Rottun purchased 1 Words of Collection (Beza) for ( 3p).
Ladyanna purchased 1 Flame of Vox for ( 1p 2g).
Baske purchased 1 Griffenne {*word*76} for ( 5p).
Jecti purchased 1{*word*19}atrice Beak for ( 18p).
Carlador purchased 1 Chunk of Condensed Shadow for ( 9p).
Crusadis purchased 2 Froglok {*word*76} for ( 10p).
Vertuos purchased 1 Low Quality Bear Skin for ( 3p 5g).
Vertuos purchased 2 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 10p).
Vertuos purchased 1 Low Quality Wolf Skin for ( 3p).
Athetiz purchased 17 Bone Chips for ( 5p 2g 7s).
Wolfess purchased 1 Ringmail Pants for ( 8p).
Roriz purchased 1 Spell: Corpal Empathy for ( 9p).
Oxiont purchased 1 Ulthork Hide Legs for ( 5p).
Klaxidan purchased 6 Low Quality Rockhopper Hide for ( 18p).
Rainebowe purchased 1 Chipped Bone Bracelet for ( 300p).
Taladael purchased 1 A Faded Salil's Writ Page for ( 10p).
Taladael purchased 1 A Faded Salil's Writ Page for ( 10p).
Suxark purchased 1 Flame of Vox for ( 1p 2g).
Capio purchased 1 Bear Meat for ( 1p).
Tgirving purchased 1 Frost Giant Meat for ( 1p).
Reza purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 8p 4g).
Reza purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 8p 4g).
Reza purchased 15 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 6p 3g).
Reza purchased 9 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 3p 7g 8s).
Jagslash purchased 1 Block of Permafrost for ( 450p).
Dachunk purchased 4 Medium Quality Rockhopper Hide for ( 20p).
Dachunk purchased 3 Low Quality Rockhopper Hide for ( 9p).
Capio purchased 3 Ice Goblin {*word*76} for ( 15p).
Zasasrni purchased 1 Kromrif Head for ( 3p 5g).
Saabe purchased 1 Coterie Belt for ( 8p).
Kudenadonis purchased 2 Ulthork Meat for ( 8p).
Turakamu purchased 1 Polished Bone Bracelet for ( 100p).
Vertuos purchased 4 Medium Quality Cat Pelt for ( 20p).
Mystake purchased 1 Lizardskin Tribal Mask for ( 50p).
Falco purchased 1 Morning Dew for ( 34p).
Saryn purchased 1 A {*word*76}ling Carapace for ( 25p).
Lahar purchased 1 Sarnak {*word*76} for ( 10p).
Lacquer purchased 1 Ulthork Meat for ( 4p).
Spiritlink purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 10p).
Spiritlink purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 10p).
Spiritlink purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 10p).
Solis purchased 20 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 10p).
Solis purchased 6 CLASS 4 Bone Hooked Arrow for ( 3p).
Duergond purchased 1 Symbol of Loyalty to Vox for ( 19p).
Andugul purchased 3 A Faded Salil's Writ Page for ( 30p).
Duppo purchased 1 Iceball for ( 29p).
Ikira purchased 4 Permafrost Crystals for ( 136p).
Ikira purchased 1 Iron Oxide for ( 49p).
Azzaar purchased 1 Frozen Mantle for ( 30p).
Luminati purchased 1 Wooly Rhino Horn for ( 22p).
Luminati purchased 1 Wooly Rhino Horn for ( 22p).
Uklaa purchased 1 Jade Chokidai Prod for ( 474p).

Re:Missing text when opening notepad from within Delphi 6

"Jason" <{*word*104}o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hopefully someone can help me with this since I'm not sure what's
> going on. I've written a program that goes through a standard text
> file, parses some information from it, and then writes the parsed
> information to a new standard text file. This part works great with no
> problems.

> Next the program launches notepad.exe with this new text file as its
> parameter so the use can view it. Here's were the problem happens. On
> longer files some of the ending text gets cut off. Shorter files seem
> to have no problem. Since the program is so small I've included the
> whole parse/view routine. Below that I've pasted the actual text file
> it's having problems with. When it gets to the last line "Uklaa
> purchased 1 Jade Chokidai Prod for ( 474p)." it cuts off the text
> after the first number 4.

> If I try to open this text file outside of Delphi using notepad it
> works just fine.

> Thanks,
> Jason

> procedure TForm1.btnProcessClick(Sender: TObject);
<snip>
>         {Parse the text file}
>         while not EOF(EQFile) do
>           begin
>             ReadLn(EQFile, EQText);
>             if (Pos('purchased', EQText) > 0) and
> (Pos('right-clicking', EQText) = 0) then
>               begin
>                 {Purchase line of text}
>                 EQText := Trim(Copy(EQText, Pos(']', EQText) + 1,
> Length(EQText)));
>                 WriteLn(OutFile, Copy(EQText, 1, Length(EQText)));
>               end;
>           end;

Insert "Flush(OutFile);" here to flush the textfile buffer. Since you get
another program to open the file before you have closed it, you need to make
sure that Delphi has written all the internal-to-Delphi buffers to disk.

--
Michael Brown

Re:Missing text when opening notepad from within Delphi 6

Jason wrote in message ...

[...]

>Next the program launches notepad.exe with this new text file as its
>parameter so the use can view it. Here's were the problem happens. On
>longer files some of the ending text gets cut off. Shorter files seem
>to have no problem.

Did you _close_ the file?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

Re:Missing text when opening notepad from within Delphi 6

Firstly, to solve your problem. The Windows file system caches data (unlike
DOS). That means that some of the data might only be flushed to the disk
when your file is closed. If you open the file with Notepad before you did a
CloseFile, then expect problems.

Another thing: Long file names can have spaces. Change your CreateProcess
statement to the following: (Add double quotes ("my long filename.txt")
around filename). It might not solve your problem, but do it in any case.

CreateProcess(PChar(WinDir + '\Notepad.exe'),
  PChar(' "' + ExtractFilePath(dlgFileName.FileName) + 'Purchases.txt"'),
  nil, nil, False, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, nil, nil, si, pi);

And if it works fine if you open it from explorer, then maybe you want to
look at the ShellExecute function as well. There is an additional advantage,
if you register some other editor to be used for opening txt files, then
ShellExecute will use it.
--
Regards

John Bester