SQL Server 7 Client Connectivity

Can someone please tell me the dll's that are required for SQL server 7
client connectivity please.  I have lost the SQL  server cd and urgently
require to install a client

Thank you very much

Dan

--

Re:SQL Server 7 Client Connectivity

Dan,

I have been struggling with this for some time.  What amazes me is that
there is not more developers who need to deploy their applications to a
target machine remotely WITHOUT the SQL CD.

In my scenario, the client's web site it hosted remotely so the application
I am writing needs to connect to that SQL 7 server over the network.  I have
posted a few messages and got no answers that worked.  I can't belive that
there is not more people who have resolved this and are willing to share it.

I was first told that all you needed to do was copy and register the
ntwdblib.dll file to the target machine.  I tried that and it did not work.
The next solution was to just install MDAC 2.5 on the target machine.  Again
that did it on *some* machines but not others.  It is  BIG mystery.

I was also told that all you needed to do was execute SQLREDIS.EXE on the
target machine.  That did not do it.  So at this point I have one machine
out in the field ( a sales rep for the company in California) in a limbo
state, who cannot get my application working after I have tried all of the
above.

If you find out please let me know.

Thanks

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software

"Dan Parker" <d...@borer.co.uk> wrote in message news:3cb54ce5_2@dnews...
> Can someone please tell me the dll's that are required for SQL server 7
> client connectivity please.  I have lost the SQL  server cd and urgently
> require to install a client

> Thank you very much

> Dan

> --

Re:SQL Server 7 Client Connectivity

How are you connecting to the database?  If you are using ADO, then
all you need is to have MDAC 2.1 or later installed.  The SQL Server
OLE DB provider used by ADO is a standard component of MDAC.

What version of MDAC does your client have?  Have you tried having him
install a later version?

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:32:08 -0700, "Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com>
wrote:

>Dan,

>I have been struggling with this for some time.  What amazes me is that
>there is not more developers who need to deploy their applications to a
>target machine remotely WITHOUT the SQL CD.

>In my scenario, the client's web site it hosted remotely so the application
>I am writing needs to connect to that SQL 7 server over the network.  I have
>posted a few messages and got no answers that worked.  I can't belive that
>there is not more people who have resolved this and are willing to share it.

>I was first told that all you needed to do was copy and register the
>ntwdblib.dll file to the target machine.  I tried that and it did not work.
>The next solution was to just install MDAC 2.5 on the target machine.  Again
>that did it on *some* machines but not others.  It is  BIG mystery.

>I was also told that all you needed to do was execute SQLREDIS.EXE on the
>target machine.  That did not do it.  So at this point I have one machine
>out in the field ( a sales rep for the company in California) in a limbo
>state, who cannot get my application working after I have tried all of the
>above.

>If you find out please let me know.

>Thanks

Chris Miller
VersaTrans Solutions, Inc.

Re:SQL Server 7 Client Connectivity

Hello Chris,

I know, ADO would of been the way to go but currently is not as doable as I
might like.  To answer your questions you can read a bit more of my history
in the following threads in this newsgroup:

"Everyone does not understand the SQL Layer requirements like me: Ok?"
"Warning! Don't bother writing an distributable MSSQL application!"

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software
http://www.fgsoft.com