Board index » delphi » BDE Administrator

BDE Administrator

This one really annoys me-- newbie to Delphi environment.  I'm trying to
set up some Paradox tables.  I tried to work directly with the tables by
specifying the directory with the properties of the table in the form,
but tells me the index is read only.  I figure it might have something
to do with me trying to bypass the BDE administrator, but when I go in
there and try to tinker, it keeps demanding a password.  Who the hell
snuck into my office and put passwords on my system?  nobody, of
course.  So why does it demand password and where am I supposed to get
one when I never put one my data base files in the first place???

Thanks.

 

Re:BDE Administrator


"Bill Van Dyk" <bvandyk6...@home.com> wrote in message
news:3B09CFD8.FB0F256A@home.com...

Quote
> This one really annoys me-- newbie to Delphi environment.  I'm trying to
> set up some Paradox tables.  I tried to work directly with the tables by
> specifying the directory with the properties of the table in the form,
> but tells me the index is read only.  I figure it might have something
> to do with me trying to bypass the BDE administrator, but when I go in
> there and try to tinker, it keeps demanding a password.  Who the hell
> snuck into my office and put passwords on my system?  nobody, of
> course.  So why does it demand password and where am I supposed to get
> one when I never put one my data base files in the first place???

You should create your tables in Database Desktop for a start. You can save
them in your project directory so the name of the database will be the
project path or you can create an alias for that path.

HTH.

--
Smola
--
"And once again, the day is saved"
(http://supersmola.tripod.com/index.htm)

Re:BDE Administrator


Quote
On Tue, 22 May 2001 09:53:31 +0200, "Smola" <A...@inet.hr> wrote:

>"Bill Van Dyk" <bvandyk6...@home.com> wrote in message
>news:3B09CFD8.FB0F256A@home.com...
>> This one really annoys me-- newbie to Delphi environment.  I'm trying to
>> set up some Paradox tables.  I tried to work directly with the tables by
>> specifying the directory with the properties of the table in the form,
>> but tells me the index is read only.  I figure it might have something
>> to do with me trying to bypass the BDE administrator, but when I go in
>> there and try to tinker, it keeps demanding a password.

This can happen when trying to read a table which is at a higher level
than the BDE can handle. Don't have a clue how you might run into this
since you created the table with the same BDE you are using to read
it. The index problem might be caused by having a secondary index on a
table which has no primary index. If this is done, the secondary index
will not be maintained. [Which is a different problem than yours, but
there may be some tie-in.]

Smola is right about the Database Desktop: use it. Also, go ahead and
learn how to use aliases; they make life much easier.
HTH,
Dan
 Who the hell

Quote
>> snuck into my office and put passwords on my system?  nobody, of
>> course.  So why does it demand password and where am I supposed to get
>> one when I never put one my data base files in the first place???

>You should create your tables in Database Desktop for a start. You can save
>them in your project directory so the name of the database will be the
>project path or you can create an alias for that path.

>HTH.

>--
>Smola
>--
>"And once again, the day is saved"
>(http://supersmola.tripod.com/index.htm)

--
Dan Brennand
CMDC systems, inc.
Configuration Management and Document Control:
visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
[SPAM block: change at to @ in my e-mail address]

Re:BDE Administrator


Thanks both of you.  I found out that an Access table doesn't have that problem,
but I want to use Paradox or other tables.  I'll try your suggestions and see
what happens.
Quote
Dan Brennand wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001 09:53:31 +0200, "Smola" <A...@inet.hr> wrote:

> >"Bill Van Dyk" <bvandyk6...@home.com> wrote in message
> >news:3B09CFD8.FB0F256A@home.com...
> >> This one really annoys me-- newbie to Delphi environment.  I'm trying to
> >> set up some Paradox tables.  I tried to work directly with the tables by
> >> specifying the directory with the properties of the table in the form,
> >> but tells me the index is read only.  I figure it might have something
> >> to do with me trying to bypass the BDE administrator, but when I go in
> >> there and try to tinker, it keeps demanding a password.

> This can happen when trying to read a table which is at a higher level
> than the BDE can handle. Don't have a clue how you might run into this
> since you created the table with the same BDE you are using to read
> it. The index problem might be caused by having a secondary index on a
> table which has no primary index. If this is done, the secondary index
> will not be maintained. [Which is a different problem than yours, but
> there may be some tie-in.]

> Smola is right about the Database Desktop: use it. Also, go ahead and
> learn how to use aliases; they make life much easier.
> HTH,
> Dan
>  Who the hell
> >> snuck into my office and put passwords on my system?  nobody, of
> >> course.  So why does it demand password and where am I supposed to get
> >> one when I never put one my data base files in the first place???

> >You should create your tables in Database Desktop for a start. You can save
> >them in your project directory so the name of the database will be the
> >project path or you can create an alias for that path.

> >HTH.

> >--
> >Smola
> >--
> >"And once again, the day is saved"
> >(http://supersmola.tripod.com/index.htm)

> --
> Dan Brennand
> CMDC systems, inc.
> Configuration Management and Document Control:
> visit us at www.cmdcsystems.com
> [SPAM block: change at to @ in my e-mail address]

Other Threads