What is better to use Delphi or Java ?

Hi ppl !
What is better to use Delphi or Java in databases programming for
Intranet/Internet in the sense of productivity, performance, cost etc. ?

Re:What is better to use Delphi or Java ?

Depends on customer's system and your plans for future systems. For mixed
environments, Java is definitely better option than Delphi.
Consider:
1. for database application front-end performance is least important factor
(except for reports)
2. productivity depends on experience of your staff - generally there's just
a slight difference in Delphi's favor.
3. productivity and maintainability of java apps highly depend on
development tool you choose
4. Delphi app will run MSWindows environments only, but there are coming out
delphi->java translators, so if can wait a bit, do it, because they will
extend runability.

If your staff is good in Java, do it in Java, if your staff is good in
Delphi, forget Java. If good in both, you could also combine them - separate
data entry, query&view, analize,.... modules.
Cost?
Learning is allways the biggest cost.
--
----------------------
Regards

Dmitry wrote:

> Hi ppl !
> What is better to use Delphi or Java in databases programming for
> Intranet/Internet in the sense of productivity, performance, cost etc. ?

What matters in this decision is, "what do these languages offer that is
important to my application?"

Java is popular on web-pages because you don't know if the user's
running a PC, or a Macintosh, or a Linux box, or a Sun workstation.
Since Java is an interpreted system, it's supported on all those
platforms.  Yes it's slower than native code but you don't care.

Delphi, or any other native code compiler, produces a file that is
specific to one operating environment but that is highly optimized for
use in that environment.  Overhead is minimal.

You see from my description that these two languages are really two
sides of a coin.  Java emphasizes things that Delphi does not, at a cost
that Delphi does not have, and vice-versa.

Other Threads