How do I change the character set?

How do I edit the character set to produce my own user defined characters?

Thanks,

Stormreaver
stormrea...@cwcom.net

Re:How do I change the character set?

Stormreaver wrote:

> How do I edit the character set to produce my own user defined characters?

It is really tedious to answer your question. Do you mean:
1) normal PC textmode?
2) Turbo Pascal graphics mode with the .CHR fonts?
3) Windows fonts?

1) If you fix your program to be used on the VGA - textmode computers
only (not on MDA monochrome or CGA colour) then you can load a local
character set using the INT $10 BIOS calls. Look in Ralph Brown's
"interrupt" list at INT 10H for more information. Link in the
"information" chapter of the TP-links. But this is not a Pascal question
nor a Turbo Pascal question. You have to use ASM or better the INTR
procedure to run BIOS system calls from within your Turbo Pascal
program.

2) For GRAPH.TPU graphic mode, there are 2 choices. Normally the stroked
fonts .CHR are used. You find a font editor in the BGI chapter of the
TP-links. Another approach are bitmap fonts, you find links in the
graphics
chapter of the TP-links.

3) For Windows look for the appropriate API calls to set the fonts. this
is not covered here and is not a Pascal question at all.

http://start.at/tp-links
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser/           mailto:meg-gla...@eunet.at
http://www.geocities.com/~franzglaser/ http://members.xoom.com/f_glaser/

Re:How do I change the character set?

I'll clarify the question, I mean the characters you call up with the CHR
function, not the graph mode characters

Stormreaver wrote:

> I'll clarify the question, I mean the characters you call up with the CHR
> function, not the graph mode characters
> Stormreaver wrote in message <3739bf6...@news2.mcmail.com>...
> >How do I edit the character set to produce my own user defined characters?

You must consider: a character is what the PC paints on the screen,
with pixels. There is a code, a list of enumerated characters, named
the PC character code which is a superset of the famous old Ascii code.

The Ascii chars are well defined, but they are only a part of all
available characters.

You have to modify the list in the BIOS, which paints the characters
on the screen. But you will probably also need to modify the characters
in the printer.

In article <373c5a8...@news2.mcmail.com>,

Stormreaver <stormrea...@cwcom.net> wrote:
>I'll clarify the question, I mean the characters you call up with the CHR
>function, not the graph mode characters

That does  not clear that much. The Chr function does not specify how
the result is used.

Osmo

Other Threads