Importing text data into access 97 database via ADO

Problem 1 - ISAM
-------------------

An access 97 database contains a link to an external text file that will be
updated frequently.
I want to import this data into a new table in that database.
Using access directly, I can run a query that creates a table from that
linked table e.g.:

SELECT *
INTO NEWTABLE
FROM TABLE_THAT_IS_LINK_TO_TEXT_FILE.

Trying to run this same query from an application connecting to access via
ADO (MDAC 2.6 installed), I get error "Could not find Installable ISAM". I
have verified the existence of and registered MSText35.dll. Is there another
way around this ISAM issue?

Problem 2 - Transferring data sets
----------------------------------

Having not found a solution to problem 1, and time being a factor, I tried
another approach. Connect an ADOTable component directly to the text file
using the necessary connection string. This works fine.

My question is whether or not there is a way to do a bulk transfer of this
data into the access database now that I have it in the ADOTable. Is there
anything faster than looping through all the records in the ADOTable
connected to the text file and doing an SQL insert statement with the values
of each (very time consuming and sensitive to special characters in values).

Thank you for any advise you may offer.
--
lionel

Re:Importing text data into access 97 database via ADO

1. You should post your code here and write where (on which line) you get
this error.

2. Yes, OLEDB Direct at http://www.oledbdirect.com. It can be even faster
than bulk-copy using you select.

Regards,
Vassiliev V.V.
http://www.oledbdirect.com

"Lionel Pierre" <lio...@pantherinternational.com> ???Y/???Y
????? ???Y??: news:3c7ce715$1_1@dnews...

> Problem 1 - ISAM
> -------------------

> An access 97 database contains a link to an external text file that will
be
> updated frequently.
> I want to import this data into a new table in that database.
> Using access directly, I can run a query that creates a table from that
> linked table e.g.:

> SELECT *
> INTO NEWTABLE
> FROM TABLE_THAT_IS_LINK_TO_TEXT_FILE.

> Trying to run this same query from an application connecting to access via
> ADO (MDAC 2.6 installed), I get error "Could not find Installable ISAM". I
> have verified the existence of and registered MSText35.dll. Is there
another
> way around this ISAM issue?

> Problem 2 - Transferring data sets
> ----------------------------------

> Having not found a solution to problem 1, and time being a factor, I tried
> another approach. Connect an ADOTable component directly to the text file
> using the necessary connection string. This works fine.

> My question is whether or not there is a way to do a bulk transfer of this
> data into the access database now that I have it in the ADOTable. Is there
> anything faster than looping through all the records in the ADOTable
> connected to the text file and doing an SQL insert statement with the
values
> of each (very time consuming and sensitive to special characters in
values).

> Thank you for any advise you may offer.
> --
> lionel