HELP please, problems using Delphi 7 E with SQL server

Greetings,

I have DE7 (it is wonderful !!!!) and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise.

I will using ADO componets to connect to db on the SQL server.

My problem is my SQL server resides on another domain in my
company on an W2K server machine (ie. sqlserver.net) and my pc
as well as the server where my app will reside is on another
(ie. myappserver.net). I have installed Delphi on both machines
(my pc and the appserver) so both have the stuff need from
Delphi to run. I have also installed the client tools on the
appserver to be able to connect to the SQL Server machine.

I can not see the SQL server from my app server. I assume I have
to define a ODBC connection so my application will see the db
tables apporpriately. I am trying to make the connection from
the app server to the sql server db. Both have machine names,
both have unique IP addresses. I have tried goning the the
connection wizard for the SQL server client to connect to the DB
table, but I must be naming something wrong.

What would the syntax be in the wizard to connect to the db
server ? Do I use the machine name ? I can not see it (they
reside on separate domains, but I can connect to the machine
when I map drives. Do I use the IP addresses ? How?

If anyone can give me any advice on to the solution to my
problem I would greatly appreciate it. Even if the solution is
to look it up somewhere else in another NG or web page.. please
give the url or the place to go....

You know, I never get lost .... people are always telling where to go ! <G>

Regards,

Greg

Re:HELP please, problems using Delphi 7 E with SQL server

Hi Greg!

I have Delphi 7 too ! Great product hey ?!?!

I noticed your post on the Borland NG and was curious if anyone
has contacted you about it through email or whatever.

Did you ever solve your problem ? Did you find any place that
references your question?

I am trying to develop a web app with Delphi 7 Enterprise to
SQL Server 2000 database. My problem is that my SQL server
resides on a machine in one domain and the web server is on
another domain. They each have their own IP addresses, but I do
not know how to get my web server to see my SQL server. I have
the client tools installed on it but I do not know what else I
have to do.

On my own pc (which is on the same domain as the SQL server
machine) has no problem seeing the database, but I suspect the
reason is because it is on the same domain where my web server
is not.

Seems to me I have to configure my web server as a client to
see the SQL server, but do not know what to enter during the
config wizard.

Do you have any ideas?

Do you know where I might find out ?

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Bruce VanOrder
Web Master / DBA
United States Army Special Operations Command
Ft. Bragg, NC

"Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>First, make sure you can "see" your SQL Server by using the ping utility at
>command prompt. Then, try entering the server manually in the connection
>string wizard in Delphi.

Tried the ping... my web server sees the machine the SQL server is on
just fine. Now the other question. And please pardon my ignorance.
Where is the 'connection string wizard' in Delphi you refer to above? I have
Delphi 7 Enterprise, and I honestly looked. I can not find it.

I will continue to seek this out while I wait for a response.

My other question. (You see I have always had this stuff set up for me so I would only have to worry about appplication development and not setting up db connections)

Once I find where to enter the string, How/What would I enter
into it? My assumption would be the following combo of IP
address/server name:

111.22.333.44\mysqlservername

Is this the correct syntax ?

Again I appologise for my ignorance..... <G> and I appreciate
your input as well as anyone else who has their opinion as well
they would like to share. Please refer to down further in this post where I describe my situation.

Regards,

Bruce VanOrder
Web Master / DBA
United States Army Special Operations Command
Ft. Bragg, NC

>SQL Servers don't always show up in the drop-down
>list, but that doesn't mean you can't connect to them.

>--

>Alain Quesnel
>cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

>"Bruce" <vanor...@soc.mil> wrote in message

>> Hi Greg!

>> I have Delphi 7 too ! Great product hey ?!?!

>> I noticed your post on the Borland NG and was curious if anyone
>> has contacted you about it through email or whatever.

>> Did you ever solve your problem ? Did you find any place that
>> references your question?

>> I am trying to develop a web app with Delphi 7 Enterprise to
>> SQL Server 2000 database. My problem is that my SQL server
>> resides on a machine in one domain and the web server is on
>> another domain. They each have their own IP addresses, but I do
>> not know how to get my web server to see my SQL server. I have
>> the client tools installed on it but I do not know what else I
>> have to do.

>> On my own pc (which is on the same domain as the SQL server
>> machine) has no problem seeing the database, but I suspect the
>> reason is because it is on the same domain where my web server
>> is not.

>> Seems to me I have to configure my web server as a client to
>> see the SQL server, but do not know what to enter during the
>> config wizard.

>> Do you have any ideas?

>> Do you know where I might find out ?

>> Thanks for any information.

>> Regards,

>> Bruce VanOrder
>> Web Master / DBA
>> United States Army Special Operations Command
>> Ft. Bragg, NC

Other Threads