Board index » delphi » BDE Problem in Windows 2000 Net

BDE Problem in Windows 2000 Net

Hello,

one of our customer moved from a Windows 98 to a Windows 2000 peer to
peer network. App written in Delphi 5.0 with central Paradox DB. With
BDE everything is configured right. Now with Windows 2000. Client 1
connects, Client 2 connects, Client 3 hardly connects and requires an
extremely long time to connect to the database. Speed of data-access is
also very slow.

Did anybody experience this effect? Does anybody know a solution?

 

Re:BDE Problem in Windows 2000 Net


Quote
"Arnd Baranowski" <baranow...@syskotec.de> wrote in message

news:3B03D4FA.DC518C2A@syskotec.de...

Quote
> Hello,

> one of our customer moved from a Windows 98 to a Windows 2000 peer to
> peer network. App written in Delphi 5.0 with central Paradox DB. With
> BDE everything is configured right. Now with Windows 2000. Client 1
> connects, Client 2 connects, Client 3 hardly connects and requires an
> extremely long time to connect to the database. Speed of data-access is
> also very slow.

> Did anybody experience this effect? Does anybody know a solution?

We had some similar issues with Win2k.  What finally worked for us besides
all the other useful help on here about opportunistic locking with Win2k was
an issue with Corel WordPerfect Suite.  We found that if the Corel suite was
the first installation of the BDE on the machine then the second and beyond
clients had troubles accessing the data.  When we uninstalled the Corel
WordPerfect Suite, then installed the BDE seperately, and then reinstalled
the Corel suite the problem went away.  We never really came up with a good
reason why this worked, but by that point I was so happy I didn't care.

HTH,
--
Mike Simons
Software Developer
MCS Spectrum

Re:BDE Problem in Windows 2000 Net


Thanks for that reply! I will check.
Quote
Michael Simons wrote:
> "Arnd Baranowski" <baranow...@syskotec.de> wrote in message
> news:3B03D4FA.DC518C2A@syskotec.de...
> > Hello,

> > one of our customer moved from a Windows 98 to a Windows 2000 peer to
> > peer network. App written in Delphi 5.0 with central Paradox DB. With
> > BDE everything is configured right. Now with Windows 2000. Client 1
> > connects, Client 2 connects, Client 3 hardly connects and requires an
> > extremely long time to connect to the database. Speed of data-access is
> > also very slow.

> > Did anybody experience this effect? Does anybody know a solution?

> We had some similar issues with Win2k.  What finally worked for us besides
> all the other useful help on here about opportunistic locking with Win2k was
> an issue with Corel WordPerfect Suite.  We found that if the Corel suite was
> the first installation of the BDE on the machine then the second and beyond
> clients had troubles accessing the data.  When we uninstalled the Corel
> WordPerfect Suite, then installed the BDE seperately, and then reinstalled
> the Corel suite the problem went away.  We never really came up with a good
> reason why this worked, but by that point I was so happy I didn't care.

> HTH,
> --
> Mike Simons
> Software Developer
> MCS Spectrum

Re:BDE Problem in Windows 2000 Net


On Thu, 17 May 2001 16:08:23 -0400, "Michael Simons"

Quote
<msim...@mcsspectrum.com> wrote:
>...  When we uninstalled the Corel
>WordPerfect Suite, then installed the BDE seperately, and then reinstalled
>the Corel suite the problem went away.  We never really came up with a good
>reason why this worked, but by that point I was so happy I didn't care.

The reasons is because Corel does not follow the proper BDE installation
procedures.  This improper installation can cause problems for any other
properly installed BDE application as they are now hit by an improperly
installed/configured BDE from Corel...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads