SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

Hi,

I am responsible for writing some software that performs high-speed testing of
electronic components and automatically commits test results to a remote SQL
server database.  I am using Borland C++ 5.0 (32-bit), which has the same BDE
and database components as 32-bit Delphi.  Performing these operations as
quickly as possible is a very high priority.  Looking through this newsgroup, I
have noticed some people saying that TQuery components are the way to go for
maximum speed.  My Borland documentation states "To use remote SQL servers, you
also must have installed SQL Links (available separately from Borland
International)."  Is it possible to use ODBC with a remote SQL server using
TQuery components without buying SQL Links?  If so, is there any disadvantage
to doing so?  How do the native drivers compare with ODBC drivers in terms of
speed?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Connors

Re:SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

andy0...@ix.netcom.com (Andy Connors) wrote:
>Is it possible to use ODBC with a remote SQL server using
>TQuery components without buying SQL Links?

Of course you can. That's what ODBC is for.

>If so, is there any disadvantage to doing so?

Yes, in terms of speed.

>How do the native drivers compare with ODBC drivers in terms of speed?

Like a Ferrari versus a Ford T.

>Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

Jasper