compiling source code

hello,

Is it possible to run a program written and compiled in Delphi 2 or 3 to
let it work under Win3.11, i didn't use any 32bit components, but it
doesn't work,  or do i have to compile the source code under Delphi 1.

regards, mario.

Re:compiling source code

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:01:50 -0600, mario.vandewa...@ping.be wrote:
>hello,

>Is it possible to run a program written and compiled in Delphi 2 or 3 to
>let it work under Win3.11, i didn't use any 32bit components, but it
>doesn't work,  or do i have to compile the source code under Delphi 1.

If you want your program to run on Windows 3.X you'll have to compile
it with Delphi 1, since both Delphi 2 and 3 create 32-bit code,
whereas Delphi 1 only creates 16-bit code. Since Windows 3.X is a
16-bit platform, you have to use Delphi 1.

Greets,
Wim

BTW It's always nice to help a fellow PING-er ;ppp

---
"May the source be with you!"
Wim Vandersmissen
Homepage : http://www.ping.be/djeez
E-Mail   : dJ...@ping.be
---

Re:compiling source code

Hi,
If you don't use Win95/NT special features (such as registry, for example)
your 32bits app *can* run under Win3.11 with Win32s installed on it (Win32s
converts 32bits things to 16bits and backward, it is furnished by M$)
--
Philippe Poilbarbe
Administrateur Systme (Unix, VMS, NT) System administrator

mario.vandewa...@ping.be a crit dans l'article
<879540792.25...@dejanews.com>...

> hello,

> Is it possible to run a program written and compiled in Delphi 2 or 3 to
> let it work under Win3.11, i didn't use any 32bit components, but it
> doesn't work,  or do i have to compile the source code under Delphi 1.

> regards, mario.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Re:compiling source code

is this really true?

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:47:35 -0500, "Philippe Poilbarbe"

<PPoilba...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>If you don't use Win95/NT special features (such as registry, for example)
>your 32bits app *can* run under Win3.11 with Win32s installed on it (Win32s
>converts 32bits things to 16bits and backward, it is furnished by M$)

---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------
Perry Fecteau, Republican
perryfect...@juno.com is my spam address.  To send mail to me directly,
remove the asterisks from perfecto*@*ct2.nai.net.  Take a peek at my web
page.
---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------

Re:compiling source code

Let's just say that Win32s is a subset of Win32 API. However, this only
regards to low level material such as threads and things like that. Code
created with Delphi 2 or 3 can NOT run under win3.11, even if Win32s is
installed.

Re:compiling source code

mario.vandewa...@ping.be wrote:

> hello,

> Is it possible to run a program written and compiled in Delphi 2 or 3 to
> let it work under Win3.11, i didn't use any 32bit components, but it
> doesn't work,  or do i have to compile the source code under Delphi 1.

> regards, mario.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Hi

I think if you install WIN32s you schould be able to run your program.
I'm not shure what about DLLs which are compiled under 32-bit.

Hope this help
Stefan Mauron
Stefan Mauron
Projectmanagement
Email: stefan.mau...@eas.ericsson.se

          I removed my reply address to avoid spamming.
                Please use Email-address above

Re:compiling source code

  Yes it is, but it's a little more complicated then that:

  #1:  If you're using the BDE, ReportSmith or some of the newer 'Win95
features (long file names, etc...) --  Then no, you can't use your app. on a
Win 3.x machine with Win32s installed.

  #2:  TEST YOUR APP on a machine with Win32s before releasing it!   --  You
may take all the precautions in the world to make sure it works with Win32s,
but it may not look right (font sizes, the way a dialog looks, etc...) and
you may develop other 'interesting errors'.

  It can work, but it's a MAJOR pain in the {*word*82}to make it work right...

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

Perry.Fect...@Republican.COM wrote in message

<34743be2.254975...@news.nai.net>...
>is this really true?

>On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:47:35 -0500, "Philippe Poilbarbe"
><PPoilba...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>>Hi,
>>If you don't use Win95/NT special features (such as registry, for example)
>>your 32bits app *can* run under Win3.11 with Win32s installed on it
(Win32s
>>converts 32bits things to 16bits and backward, it is furnished by M$)

>---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------
>Perry Fecteau, Republican
>perryfect...@juno.com is my spam address.  To send mail to me directly,
>remove the asterisks from perfecto*@*ct2.nai.net.  Take a peek at my web
>page.
>---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------

Re:compiling source code

  YES you can do it...  I know this for a fact, since 2 of the applications
we've written require Win32s for our apps...  (to run on Win 3.x)  --  IT
can be done, it's just majorly tricky...

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

Mr 50% wrote in message <348f8277.11603...@news.prestel.co.uk>...
>Trade confirmed from: de...@majoka.removeprestel.co.ANDTHISuk (Mr 50%)
>Order details:

>>Trade confirmed from: perfe...@ct2.nai.net
>>(Perry.Fect...@Republican.COM) Order details:

>Oops something went wrong there I err em goofed in replying to the
>wrong post !, NO YOU CAN'T USe D2&3 programs on Win3.xx

>>YES !

>>>is this really true?

>Mr50% _________________________________________________
>* Time Tells Trend - Dow Site at :-                    *
>* http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6284/index.html  *
>*______________________________________________________*

Re:compiling source code

Trade confirmed from: perfe...@ct2.nai.net
(Perry.Fect...@Republican.COM) Order details:

YES !

>is this really true?

>On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:47:35 -0500, "Philippe Poilbarbe"
><PPoilba...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>>Hi,
>>If you don't use Win95/NT special features (such as registry, for example)
>>your 32bits app *can* run under Win3.11 with Win32s installed on it (Win32s
>>converts 32bits things to 16bits and backward, it is furnished by M$)

>---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------
>Perry Fecteau, Republican
>perryfect...@juno.com is my spam address.  To send mail to me directly,
>remove the asterisks from perfecto*@*ct2.nai.net.  Take a peek at my web
>page.
>---------------------http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto--------------------------

Mr50% _________________________________________________
* Time Tells Trend - Dow Site at :-                    *
* http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6284/index.html  *
*______________________________________________________*

Re:compiling source code

Trade confirmed from: de...@majoka.removeprestel.co.ANDTHISuk (Mr 50%)
Order details:

>Trade confirmed from: perfe...@ct2.nai.net
>(Perry.Fect...@Republican.COM) Order details:

Oops something went wrong there I err em goofed in replying to the
wrong post !, NO YOU CAN'T USe D2&3 programs on Win3.xx

>YES !

>>is this really true?

Mr50% _________________________________________________
* Time Tells Trend - Dow Site at :-                    *
* http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6284/index.html  *
*______________________________________________________*

Re:compiling source code

> > Is it possible to run a program written and compiled in Delphi 2 or 3
> > let it work under Win3.11, i didn't use any 32bit components...
> > regards, mario.
> I think if you install WIN32s ..
> Stefan Mauron

The problem is taht Windows 3.1 use a 16bits Protected Mode & Win32 a 32
bits one !
So Delphi 2&3 create 32bits code for 32bits Protected Mode.

By the way it's possible to Write a DOS 32 bits Protected Mode with at
least Delphi 2.
But By default, Delphi install a Windows STUB. You need Borland's 32RTM
(Borland C++ Builder) and to change the EXE Stub to call 32RTM. Take a look
at DCC32.EXE, It's a Windows 32 Console application, but you can use it
under DOS (not Windows 95 DOS, a old one !), you just need 32RTM !!!

I just wonder why Borland does'nt allow Delphi to Compile DOS program ?
(For Delphi 1.0 search for "Delphi does DOS")

--
Regards
Paul TOTH

Other Threads