Board index » delphi » Win32 API ?!?

Win32 API ?!?

Hi!

Is there any useful 32Bit Windows API Documentation on the Internet,
(especially) for Borland Delphi? URLs are welcome.

Tschau
           Jan

 * Origin: No woman no cry!  (2:2426/3195.148)

 

Re:Win32 API ?!?


There is a help file with D3 called win32.hlp. It describes the 32 bit API
and tells you which functions work with 95 and NT.

Eric...

Quote
Jan Kulmann wrote in message ...
>Hi!

>Is there any useful 32Bit Windows API Documentation on the Internet,
>(especially) for Borland Delphi? URLs are welcome.

>Tschau
>           Jan

> * Origin: No woman no cry!  (2:2426/3195.148)

Re:Win32 API ?!?


Right Eeker, but that file is not correct ... i mean i found some mistakes,
and some functions missing !!!

So where to find a better/more complete one ??

Eeker a crit dans le message <6crrr0$km...@news1.i1.net>...

Quote
>There is a help file with D3 called win32.hlp. It describes the 32 bit API
>and tells you which functions work with 95 and NT.

>Eric...

>Jan Kulmann wrote in message ...
>>Hi!

>>Is there any useful 32Bit Windows API Documentation on the Internet,
>>(especially) for Borland Delphi? URLs are welcome.

>>Tschau
>>           Jan

>> * Origin: No woman no cry!  (2:2426/3195.148)

Re:Win32 API ?!?


In article <6ctvpm$...@saturne.mnet.fr>, "Benoit MICHAUD" <BMich...@mnet.fr>
writes:

Quote
>Right Eeker, but that file is not correct ... i mean i found some mistakes,
>and some functions missing !!!

How did you access it - I found that the context index (look for items using
Index | Index) was not complete, however if you look for items by using Index |
Find and wait for a word list to be loaded, then a quite comprehensive lot of
information becomes available. Also use the back & forward buttons( << and >> )
when you have found an item for some useful nuggets of information. But you
really have to _search_ for the data.

Also you need to look at the WIN32.help file in conjunction with the
declarations in Delphi .PAS files in the Source \ RTL \ Sys and Source\RTL\Win
directories. This is necessary because Delphi may not always declare a header
in the format you might expect from the Win32.HLP file (eg var Item instead of
pItem for a pointer to an Item named lpItem in the C declaration).

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Re:Win32 API ?!?


Am 23 Feb 98  13:36:06 schrieb Eeker  an All  zum Thema
<Re: Win32 API ?!?>

E> There is a help file with D3 called win32.hlp. It describes the 32 bit
E> API and tells you which functions work with 95 and NT.

Sure, your're right. But the Win32-API Onlinehelp is not good enough that
everybody, who is interested in, can understand what Microsoft really meant!

What I need (and I hope to find sometimes) is a documentation which explains
the API-Calls in a way the Delphi Onlinehelp explained their own procedures and
calls. I mean, a bit more examples, a bit more explanations, so that everybody
can understand what is meant.

Tschau
           Jan

Re:Win32 API ?!?


   I agree. It is not complete, but the best I have found so far. Usually,
what I have to do is, find the function that does what I want. Then, use
Delphi's (I guess you would call it) code anticipator and type it in a
parameter at a time, wait until Delphi tells me the next one it expects, and
fill in the blanks. This gets me around the different declarations that
Delphi uses versus the original C that the API was written in.
   Another thing I do that seems to help me narrow down the function I want
is, find one function that is close to what I want, then look under Group.
There it shows me the functions related to the one I have found. Again, a
tedious way to find a needle in a haystack! :)
   I do agree, this is not a very efficient way to do it. If I find anything
better, I'll be sure to post it. Just that this is all I have seen so far.

Quote
AlanGLLoyd wrote in message

<19980224142001.JAA05...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
Quote
>In article <6ctvpm$...@saturne.mnet.fr>, "Benoit MICHAUD"

<BMich...@mnet.fr>
Quote
>writes:

>>Right Eeker, but that file is not correct ... i mean i found some
mistakes,
>>and some functions missing !!!

>How did you access it - I found that the context index (look for items
using
>Index | Index) was not complete, however if you look for items by using
Index |
>Find and wait for a word list to be loaded, then a quite comprehensive lot
of
>information becomes available. Also use the back & forward buttons( << and
>> )
>when you have found an item for some useful nuggets of information. But you
>really have to _search_ for the data.

>Also you need to look at the WIN32.help file in conjunction with the
>declarations in Delphi .PAS files in the Source \ RTL \ Sys and
Source\RTL\Win
>directories. This is necessary because Delphi may not always declare a
header
>in the format you might expect from the Win32.HLP file (eg var Item instead
of
>pItem for a pointer to an Item named lpItem in the C declaration).

>Alan Lloyd
>alangll...@aol.com

Re:Win32 API ?!?


There is a Delphi book that I just got and it covers only Windows
Apis. Here is the ISBN: 1556225563. If you goto any book store they
can look it up for you. Then name of the book is: The Tomes of Delphi
3 : Win32 Core Api

Hope this helps.

Wayne

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:12:29 +0100, Jan_Kulmann@INVALID_FTN_ADDRESS

Quote
(Jan Kulmann) wrote:
>Hi!

>Is there any useful 32Bit Windows API Documentation on the Internet,
>(especially) for Borland Delphi? URLs are welcome.

>Tschau
>           Jan

> * Origin: No woman no cry!  (2:2426/3195.148)

Re:Win32 API ?!?


On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:08:23 +0100,

Quote
Jan_Kulm...@p148.f3195.n2426.z2.sesom.de (Jan Kulmann) wrote:
>Am 23 Feb 98  13:36:06 schrieb Eeker  an All  zum Thema
><Re: Win32 API ?!?>

>E> There is a help file with D3 called win32.hlp. It describes the 32 bit
>E> API and tells you which functions work with 95 and NT.

>Sure, your're right. But the Win32-API Onlinehelp is not good enough that
>everybody, who is interested in, can understand what Microsoft really meant!

>What I need (and I hope to find sometimes) is a documentation which explains
>the API-Calls in a way the Delphi Onlinehelp explained their own procedures and
>calls. I mean, a bit more examples, a bit more explanations, so that everybody
>can understand what is meant.

>Tschau
>           Jan

Jan,

If you happen to find such a file, *please* let us know. Win32.hlp is
indeed 'usable', but only the hard way!

Pierre Gemis

Re:Win32 API ?!?


I have a book (actually over a year now) which is for C++ and explains
standard win32 API with examples and everything. It is still not for Delphi,
but it made alot of things clear.

Win32 Programming API bible
Waite Press Group

Jack

Benoit MICHAUD heeft geschreven in bericht <6ctvpm$...@saturne.mnet.fr>...

Quote
>Right Eeker, but that file is not correct ... i mean i found some mistakes,
>and some functions missing !!!

>So where to find a better/more complete one ??

Re:Win32 API ?!?


It is my dream that Daniel Appleman takes up Delphi and writes something
as good for it as the stuff he did on using the API from VB.  Actually,
I use his VB tomes for API use from Delphi all the time!  Helps if you
know VB datatypes to start with, though...

Quote
wa...@saegroup.com wrote:

> There is a Delphi book that I just got and it covers only Windows
> Apis. Here is the ISBN: 1556225563. If you goto any book store they
> can look it up for you. Then name of the book is: The Tomes of Delphi
> 3 : Win32 Core Api

> Hope this helps.

> Wayne

> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:12:29 +0100, Jan_Kulmann@INVALID_FTN_ADDRESS
> (Jan Kulmann) wrote:

> >Hi!

> >Is there any useful 32Bit Windows API Documentation on the Internet,
> >(especially) for Borland Delphi? URLs are welcome.

> >Tschau
> >           Jan

> > * Origin: No woman no cry!  (2:2426/3195.148)

Re:Win32 API ?!?


Quote
wa...@saegroup.com wrote:

: There is a Delphi book that I just got and it covers only Windows
: Apis. Here is the ISBN: 1556225563. If you goto any book store they
: can look it up for you. Then name of the book is: The Tomes of Delphi
: 3 : Win32 Core Api

I just picked up this book myself, and it looks excellent.
As far as material on the web, there is a group called "Project
JEDI" that is at work publishing information on Delphi and the
Win32 API.  I don't have the URL handy, but search through old
postings to this group at http://www.dejanews.com
--
============================================================
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net
============================================================

Other Threads