SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

Hello

I am having difficulty successfully calling a stored procedure from
Delphi 6 SP2 using the CoreLab dbExpress driver. Simple stored
procedures work OK, but when I try to return a string value in a
paramter the ExecProc crashes. Here is an example of the stored
procedure:

--------------------------------

CREATE PROCEDURE DELPHI_IOTEST
            @FOO_OUT INT OUTPUT,
            @MSG_OUT varchar(255) output
AS
BEGIN
    /* suppress messages or they'll wipe out our return parameters */
  SET NOCOUNT ON

    /* initialize output parameters */
  SELECT @FOO_OUT = 77
  SELECT @MSG_OUT = 'Some text message returned'
END
GO

----------------------------

Testing this from the MS Query Analyzer shows that it works as
expected and returns the values.

In Delphi, I drop a TSQLConnection and a TSQLStoredProcedure on a
form, make the appropriate associations and add a button to call the
ExecProc in the on click event.

Upon execution, clicking the button results in an exception during the
ExecProc call:

'Assertion Failure (D:\Projects\Delphi\SDAC\source\OLEDBAccess.pas,
line 1564.)'

I believe this to be a reference to CoreLab file. I have corresponded
with CoreLabs regarding this issue but have yet to recieve a solution.

Am I the only one using the CoreLab SQL Server driver? Anyone else
having success with these kinds of stored procedure calls? Am I doing
something in the declaration of the stored procedure that I shouldn't?

AJ

PS - I have tried Timur Islamov's MS-SQL driver as well;
unfortunately, it has other issues which make it an unsuitable
substitute.

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

AJ wrote:

Contact Core Labs?

--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

On Tue, 14 May 2002 13:12:45 +0930, "Dave Nottage (TeamB)"

<dav...@deletethis.smartchat.net.au> wrote:
>AJ wrote:
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>Contact Core Labs?

ba-dump, bump! :)

Yes, as I posted I have sent several emails but so far the responses
have been unspecific to resolving the issue.

Any idea where Borland's MS-SQL driver for dbExpress is at????

AJ

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

I can only say its 80% done. Don't ask me when it will ship :-)

T.Ramesh.

"AJ" <wrig...@autocite-engineering-nospam.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 14 May 2002 13:12:45 +0930, "Dave Nottage (TeamB)"
> <dav...@deletethis.smartchat.net.au> wrote:

> >AJ wrote:
> >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

> >Contact Core Labs?

> ba-dump, bump! :)

> Yes, as I posted I have sent several emails but so far the responses
> have been unspecific to resolving the issue.

> Any idea where Borland's MS-SQL driver for dbExpress is at????

> AJ

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

On Tue, 14 May 2002 16:19:55 -0700, "Ramesh Theivendran"

<rtheivend...@borland.com> wrote:
>I can only say its 80% done. Don't ask me when it will ship :-)

>T.Ramesh.

Fair enough. Good to hear that its in the works. :-)

>"AJ" <wrig...@autocite-engineering-nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 14 May 2002 13:12:45 +0930, "Dave Nottage (TeamB)"
>> <dav...@deletethis.smartchat.net.au> wrote:

>> >Contact Core Labs?

>> ba-dump, bump! :)

>> Yes, as I posted I have sent several emails but so far the responses
>> have been unspecific to resolving the issue.

>> Any idea where Borland's MS-SQL driver for dbExpress is at????

>> AJ

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

I thought these drivers were supposed to be reasonable easy to write. If it
takes Borland gurus so long to get one driver out for such a popular
database, how will mere mortals do it?  :P

Jeff

"Ramesh Theivendran" <rtheivend...@borland.com> wrote in message

> I can only say its 80% done. Don't ask me when it will ship :-)

> T.Ramesh.

> "AJ" <wrig...@autocite-engineering-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 14 May 2002 13:12:45 +0930, "Dave Nottage (TeamB)"
> > <dav...@deletethis.smartchat.net.au> wrote:

> > >Contact Core Labs?

> > ba-dump, bump! :)

> > Yes, as I posted I have sent several emails but so far the responses
> > have been unspecific to resolving the issue.

> > Any idea where Borland's MS-SQL driver for dbExpress is at????

> > AJ

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

Driver development depends on the client library and the features you want
to support in the driver.  For example, MySQL driver just took 2 weeks. OCI
has 100's of API to deal with. MySQL on the other hand has very few.

Anyway, you should compare the time needed to write a dbExpress driver with
how long you might need to spend writing  a ODBC, JDBC, BDE driver.

Also, we don't work full time on these drivers.

T.Ramesh.

> Also, we don't work full time on these drivers.

> T.Ramesh.
> "Jeff Butterworth" <jef...@drs.com.au> wrote in message
> > I thought these drivers were supposed to be reasonable easy to write. If
> it
> > takes Borland gurus so long to get one driver out for such a popular

Somehow I think the Microsoft driver has been a rather low priority on
Borland's development task list. If management allocated sufficient
development resources, I'm sure Borland could have such a driver out in a
relatively short time. Of course, this is pure speculation and I could be
entirely wrong. Microsoft's OLE DB could be such a nightmare that it could
take hordes of Borland developers years to develop a driver for SQL Server
(although, somehow I doubt it's that bad! <g>)

Cheers,
Andy Mackie.

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

Hi Ramesh,

The document regarding 'The future of the BDE and SQL Links' shows that
dbExpress is to become the recommended access layer for conection to MSSQL.

Does that also apply for MTS and/or COM+ applications using MSSQL?

i.e. the new MSSQL driver and dbExpress will run successfully in an MTS/COM+
environment supporting MTS transactions and connection pooling?

--
Dave Rowntree

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

Dave,
Good points. As of now no work has been done to support MTS transactions or
connection pooling. But certainly will look at it.

T.Ramesh.

"Dave Rowntree" <da...@brookswood.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi Ramesh,

> The document regarding 'The future of the BDE and SQL Links' shows that
> dbExpress is to become the recommended access layer for conection to
MSSQL.

> Does that also apply for MTS and/or COM+ applications using MSSQL?

> i.e. the new MSSQL driver and dbExpress will run successfully in an
MTS/COM+
> environment supporting MTS transactions and connection pooling?

> --
> Dave Rowntree

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

Thanks a lot.
--
Dave Rowntree

> Dave,
> Good points. As of now no work has been done to support MTS transactions
or
> connection pooling. But certainly will look at it.

> T.Ramesh.

Re:SQL Server 2000 Stored Procedure and Core Lab driver

UPDATE:

Problem solved! CoreLabs has released an updated version of their
driver which corrects the issue. :D

v1.15 is available on their web site - the link is still titled v1.14,
but the content is indeed the new driver v1.15, AND IT WORKS!

My public thanks to Dmitry at CoreLabs for assisting me and getting
this issue resolved in a timely manner.

<big smiles here>

AJ

On Tue, 14 May 2002 17:07:56 GMT,

wrig...@autocite-engineering-nospam.com (AJ) wrote:
>Hello

>I am having difficulty successfully calling a stored procedure from
>Delphi 6 SP2 using the CoreLab dbExpress driver. Simple stored
>procedures work OK, but when I try to return a string value in a
>paramter the ExecProc crashes. Here is an example of the stored
>procedure:

>--------------------------------

>CREATE PROCEDURE DELPHI_IOTEST
>            @FOO_OUT INT OUTPUT,
>            @MSG_OUT varchar(255) output
>AS
>BEGIN
>    /* suppress messages or they'll wipe out our return parameters */
>  SET NOCOUNT ON

>    /* initialize output parameters */
>  SELECT @FOO_OUT = 77
>  SELECT @MSG_OUT = 'Some text message returned'
>END
>GO

>----------------------------

>Testing this from the MS Query Analyzer shows that it works as
>expected and returns the values.

>In Delphi, I drop a TSQLConnection and a TSQLStoredProcedure on a
>form, make the appropriate associations and add a button to call the
>ExecProc in the on click event.

>Upon execution, clicking the button results in an exception during the
>ExecProc call:

>'Assertion Failure (D:\Projects\Delphi\SDAC\source\OLEDBAccess.pas,
>line 1564.)'

>I believe this to be a reference to CoreLab file. I have corresponded
>with CoreLabs regarding this issue but have yet to recieve a solution.

>Am I the only one using the CoreLab SQL Server driver? Anyone else
>having success with these kinds of stored procedure calls? Am I doing
>something in the declaration of the stored procedure that I shouldn't?

>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>AJ

>PS - I have tried Timur Islamov's MS-SQL driver as well;
>unfortunately, it has other issues which make it an unsuitable
>substitute.

Other Threads