Win95/98-client and InterBase server on Linux

Hi,

could anyone tell me if it is possible to use an Interbase server on the
Linux platform with clients on Win95/98 PCs.
And more important : how can I query the server ? By ODBC, or do I need
SQL links ?

Ann.: I'm working with the Delphi 4 Professional version

Jrgen

Re:Win95/98-client and InterBase server on Linux

Jrgen Schwarze wrote

>could anyone tell me if it is possible to use an Interbase server on the
>Linux platform with clients on Win95/98 PCs.

Yes, it is easy to use a Win32 client app to connect to an InterBase
database on a Linux server.  You do it in exactly the same way you would
connect your app to InterBase on an NT or NetWare or any other server.  When
specifying the location of the database in your BDE alias or ODBC DSN, use
the syntax:

    servername:/path/database.gdb

>And more important : how can I query the server ? By ODBC, or do I need SQL

links ?

You can use BDE with SQL-Links, you can use ODBC, you can use Java and JDBC,
or you can use the InterBase API.  All of those interfaces use the InterBase
client library (GDS32.DLL on Win32) so they all naturally conform to the
same connect syntax.

--
Bill Karwin
bkar...@interbase.com