Paradox 7.0 conversion to Interbase

We currently have a product developed with Paradox 7.0 tables running on
either Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0.  There are approx. 100 tables of
varying sizes.  We would like to switch to Interbase Server and/or
Interbase Local, so that we can have a Client Server for larger sites and
Local Interbase for local site.

Has anyone else gone down this path?  If so what are the issues we should
be looking for?

Dean Matthews
Health Plus Systems
dmatt...@agt.net

Re:Paradox 7.0 conversion to Interbase

Dean Matthews wrote:

> We currently have a product developed with Paradox 7.0 tables running on
> either Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0.  There are approx. 100 tables of
> varying sizes.  We would like to switch to Interbase Server and/or
> Interbase Local, so that we can have a Client Server for larger sites and
> Local Interbase for local site.

> Has anyone else gone down this path?  If so what are the issues we should
> be looking for?

> Dean Matthews
> Health Plus Systems
> dmatt...@agt.net

In Paradox Delphi works faster with TTable objects, with InterBase
server much faster you will access data with TQuery object.
If you are using OnFilterRecord events and large result sets in Paradox
move to TQuery and try to replace OnFilterRecord with SQL.
Delphi works slow with large result sets from SQL databases.
Try to not use Locate, FindFirst functions to locate in dataset for
editing single record. If you are using list for selecting and another
form for editing record use parametried query in this form to get single
record. THis will be much faster than locating record (its also fetch a
lot of records from database).
  Baltic Advanced  Technologies
  Solutions for software developers
  http://www.batsoft.com
  OverPLAY,OverDIG,OptStyle and more...

Re:Paradox 7.0 conversion to Interbase

We had a product that we first wrote in Paradox and then switched to
Interbase for the same reason you are.  The one thing we found was that
it was EXTREMELY slower for the one user site.  We converted stuff back
and forth between TQuery and TTable methods but could never get the
Interbase version even close to the Paradox version.  What was possible
was to have two versions of the product.  We didn't have to change a
single line of code to switch back and forth between Paradox and
Interbase (just change the Alias in the BDE Config).  We would then only
use Interbase if they were going to have more than 5 people using it at
the same time.

But, we were doing some extremely complicated stuff that required a lot
of searching multiple tables, etc. that we knew would be slower in
Interbase.  If you aren't doing much filtering or a lot of FindKey type
of things, Interbase will probably be fine.

One last tidbit.  It is not Interbase that is slow,  Personal Oracle and
Sybase SQLAnywhere had the same problem with speed.

Michael Binette

Michael Binette wrote:
> We had a product that we first wrote in Paradox and then switched to
> Interbase for the same reason you are.  The one thing we found was that
> it was EXTREMELY slower for the one user site.  We converted stuff back
> and forth between TQuery and TTable methods but could never get the
> Interbase version even close to the Paradox version.  What was possible
> was to have two versions of the product.  We didn't have to change a
> single line of code to switch back and forth between Paradox and
> Interbase (just change the Alias in the BDE Config).  We would then only
> use Interbase if they were going to have more than 5 people using it at
> the same time.

Mayby the reason for poor performance was that you didn't change a
single line of code ?

Aage J.
11

Other Threads