Select a SQL Database , Interbase , Oracle , Sysbase or MSSQL ? Easy , Reliable and Fast ?

Hi
  I am now using Delphi 2.0 Client/Server , I am going to have a site
with a large database of over 300,000 records(about 60 byte data each)
accessible through Internet.
  It is naturally I prefer to use Interbase , I read some postings here
that it is easy to use.
  I also heard that oracle is like by many people and I also have
choices of Sysbase and MSSQL.
  So what I am wondering , is there significant difference in speed
between the databases ?
  I read news that ODBC are slower , so does that mean I need to work
extra if I am not using Interbase but other SQL drivers?
  I think speed need not be fastest(any benchmark?) , I think its ease
of use and is it reliable.So what do you think is the best
selection.Interbase , Oracle , Sysbase or MSSQL or other database ?
  BTW , anyone also writing CGIs using Delphi ? mail me and we can share
our experience and codes.

Re:Select a SQL Database , Interbase , Oracle , Sysbase or MSSQL ? Easy , Reliable and Fast ?

kevinlin wrote:

> Hi
>   I am now using Delphi 2.0 Client/Server , I am going to have a site
> with a large database of over 300,000 records(about 60 byte data each)
> accessible through Internet.
>   It is naturally I prefer to use Interbase , I read some postings here
> that it is easy to use.
>   I also heard that oracle is like by many people and I also have
> choices of Sysbase and MSSQL.
>   So what I am wondering , is there significant difference in speed
> between the databases ?
>   I read news that ODBC are slower , so does that mean I need to work
> extra if I am not using Interbase but other SQL drivers?
>   I think speed need not be fastest(any benchmark?) , I think its ease
> of use and is it reliable.So what do you think is the best
> selection.Interbase , Oracle , Sysbase or MSSQL or other database ?
>   BTW , anyone also writing CGIs using Delphi ? mail me and we can share
> our experience and codes.

What platform ? NT only ?

If it is NT only, I would eliminate Sybase because it looks not as
good as MS SQL-Server, the reasons being:
 - reliability: I seemed to experience more problems with Sybase
(System 11) than MS 6.5
 - tools: Sybase still have not understood what they should be.
Their supplied tools are a joke compared to MS SQL-Server.

I could also mention the better built-in facilities for WEB pages
you get with MS SQL-Server.

Please note that I am not a 'Microsoft shop' and currently use
System 11 (from Sybase) on NT.

Oracle: I don't know very well but it is hard to believe that so
many people would get it wrong... The question might be 'How good
is it under NT ?'

Interbase: I know some listener won't like it, but... 'It is a
minor player in the database market and might not be there
tomorrow.

ODBC: Using any of the major databases (SQL Server, Oracle...)
does not involve using ODBC. This would only apply for things like
SQL Anywhere...

These are only my personal views and do not imply those of Swiss
Bank in any way.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Eric Mamet <eric.ma...@gb.swissbank.com> wrote:
>ODBC: Using any of the major databases (SQL Server, Oracle...)
>does not involve using ODBC. This would only apply for things like
>SQL Anywhere...

actually ODBC is just a standardized access-api for applications.
the only other standard method to access a dbms is embedded sql.

ODBC is always involved if for example you want to include reports
into excel or word documents.

ciao, jan

kevinlin wrote:

> Hi
>   I am now using Delphi 2.0 Client/Server , I am going to have a site
> with a large database of over 300,000 records(about 60 byte data each)
> accessible through Internet.
>   It is naturally I prefer to use Interbase , I read some postings here
> that it is easy to use.
>   I also heard that oracle is like by many people and I also have
> choices of Sysbase and MSSQL.
>   So what I am wondering , is there significant difference in speed
> between the databases ?
>   I read news that ODBC are slower , so does that mean I need to work
> extra if I am not using Interbase but other SQL drivers?
>   I think speed need not be fastest(any benchmark?) , I think its ease
> of use and is it reliable.So what do you think is the best
> selection.Interbase , Oracle , Sysbase or MSSQL or other database ?
>   BTW , anyone also writing CGIs using Delphi ? mail me and we can share
> our experience and codes.

Ease of use: Interbase or SQL Anywhere
   SQL Anywhere is more fullfeatured,
   Interbase faster, when queroes are hand-tuned (just my experience)
Reliability: DB2 Common Server
   Also very good at optimizing complex queries.

I had a four table join with group by and sum.
The query times were:
 SQL Anywhere: 60 sec.
 Interbase: 15 sec (after a lot of handtuning)
 DB2: 6 sec. (no tuning at all)
I acknowledge that DB2 may have larger buffers/caches in it's
default setup. Still, the speed was impressive.

Regards,

Karl

Other Threads