Multi-User Windows 95 Software & The Registry

Hi John,

I think you've got the right idea with the database for user
information.  Any data that needs the protection of a login deserves
better protection than that offered by W95.  W95 security can be
defeated in less than 2 minutes by anyone who has read "The Windows 95
Resource Kit".  So I think the separate login is
  a) a good idea
  b) saleable

Andy Sallee
ajsal...@umich.edu
Akkmmie Development, Inc.
75450,3...@compuserve.com

John Norsworthy wrote:

> I have a multi-user application that requires me to store:
> Office Information - Common to all users and stations
> Station Information - Specific settings for each station
> User Information - Information concerning the current logged user

> At this time I'm opting for a network database with user information stored
> there but this would require a seperate log in to my software.

> Any help or wisdom would be appreciated.

> John Norsworthy

Re:Multi-User Windows 95 Software & The Registry

John,

The Win32 Registry has the pieces you need already.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is the place to store User specific information.  The
only problem with this is when the User moves to a new workstation, Windows
NT 4.0 gets around this by using "roaming" profiles.  You could also write
a quick little applet that grabs the user info from the registry and moves
it to the network for just this problem.  Another method would be to access
the original machines Registry across the network, though I have found this
extremely unreliable in mixed mode environments.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is where you would store the Workstation information.
You already seem to grasp this so I shan't go into too much detail.

If you look closely, you will notice that the Windows 95 Registry doesn't
use HKEY_CURRENT_USER as heavily as it's big brother on NT 4.0 but it does
use it relatively well if you are using Profiles.

The other advantages to this approach are that you pick up better Windows
NT compatability.  If Borland will actually implement some of the things
that it will take to make Delphi continue to succeed and grow you should
eventually be able to take the app as it stands and target Windows NT and
all of it's hardware platforms.  If Borland gets really adventurous they
might even add an OS/2 Open32 port (wishful thinking I suppose, but hey
gotta let'em know we want it *grin*).

Andy Satori

John Norsworthy <n...@spiritone.com> wrote in article
<19961007045159....@spiritone.com>...

> I have a multi-user application that requires me to store:
> Office Information - Common to all users and stations
> Station Information - Specific settings for each station
> User Information - Information concerning the current logged user

> I've decided to put the office information in an .INI file in the
> applications directory.

> I intend on putting the station information in the registry,
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

> The question is what to do with the user information.  Should it be
stored
> in the registry?  You must consider that the user can be logged onto any
> station on the network.  Is the user information stored on the file
server
> and then copied into the current registry when a user logs in?  What
effect
> will different networks (Novell/NT) have on where this user information
> should be stored?

> At this time I'm opting for a network database with user information
stored
> there but this would require a seperate log in to my software.

> Any help or wisdom would be appreciated.

> John Norsworthy

> * Johnnie Norsworthy             - 76226.3...@compuserve.com
> * Naturally Resourceful Software - n...@spiritone.com

Other Threads