Compiler error 88

Can someone please explain exactly what this compiler error 88 means?
It stops at a procedure call between two parameters.  It says there is
a '(' expected. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
danima...@hotmail.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:Compiler error 88

JRS:  In article <8cqmb1$pr...@nnrp1.deja.com> of Sun, 9 Apr 2000
19:40:19 seen in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, humplik...@my-deja.com
wrote:

>Can someone please explain exactly what this compiler error 88 means?
>It stops at a procedure call between two parameters.  It says there is
>a '(' expected. What am I doing wrong?

Your greatest error is probably that you have not posted the offending
Pascal statement and a few lines before it; also the beginning of the
declaration of the procedure.

All that can safely be said, IMHO, is that the compiler has been led to
believe that your plan is such that a '(' is now permissible & perhaps
essential (sometimes you can give it something other than what it claims
to expect).

One possibility is that you have given, as a parameter, a function name
(e.g. Fred) rather than a function call (e.g. Fred(<params>)).

Another is that you have designed the procedure to take a function name
as a parameter, but declared it for a (function) value.

Please do not multi-post articles.  You have also posted it to
c.l.p.misc, where it is unanswerable (since you don't say whose Pascal
you are using) and off-topic (since you posted to c.l.p.borland, one
assumes Borland's Pascal).

Re:Compiler error 88

<throws crystal ball out window>  post the relevant parts of your code:
the procedure definition, the procedure call, and any user-defined types
used as parameters.  or the whole program if it's small :)

(clpb added to ng list, since specific error # was given)

humplik...@my-deja.com wrote:

: Can someone please explain exactly what this compiler error 88 means?
: It stops at a procedure call between two parameters.  It says there is
: a '(' expected. What am I doing wrong?
: Thanks
: danima...@hotmail.com

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.