BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

Apologies if this is a common question.

Under T.Pascal 7:

I vagely remember, some years ago, that there were some freeware fonts
for TP7. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate any except the
SMFONTS which are not really the sort of fonts I was after. Does anyone
know where I can locate a more extensive set of .CHR fonts so that I can
select one that is, shall I say, less clunky?

I would also have hoped that (at least) VGAx256c mode BGI driver was
available. I presume there is, does anyone have any recommendations?

--
Oz

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

Oz wrote:

Once again:
chapters BGI and graphics.

Look for the FE fonteditor, several links to gurus and
BGI drivers and other Graph.TPU replacements. Also look
for bitmap fonts etc.

Franz Glaser

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

In article <35FC542C.2D5B7...@eunet.at>, Ing. Franz Glaser
<meg-gla...@eunet.at> writes

>Oz wrote:

>Once again:
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2926/tp.html
>chapters BGI and graphics.

Yes, indeed I did that before posting here. I was hoping that
those with experience would suggest particular drivers they
were happy with.

>Look for the FE fonteditor,

Indeed. However making one's own fonts is never as good as
using someone's who has a flair for it.

>several links to gurus and
>BGI drivers and other Graph.TPU replacements.

Indeed. However that does not tell you how reliable or
effective they are. A newsgroup can (often).

>Also look
>for bitmap fonts etc.

Unfortunately not really very scaleable. OTOH this application
is likely to enforce VGA so some decent bitmapped fonts might
be OK. I'm not looking for superfancy stuff at all. A couple
of clear sans-serif at 20/30/40 pixelheight and a Timesroman
style at a similar height. The sort of thing that would be
suitable for partially sighted as well as fully sighted
people. A recommendation would be appreciated.

--
Oz

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

Oz wrote:

> In article <35FC542C.2D5B7...@eunet.at>, Ing. Franz Glaser
> <meg-gla...@eunet.at> writes
> >Oz wrote:

> >Once again:
> >http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2926/tp.html
> >chapters BGI and graphics.

> Yes, indeed I did that before posting here. I was hoping that
> those with experience would suggest particular drivers they
> were happy with.

> >Look for the FE fonteditor,

> Indeed. However making one's own fonts is never as good as
> using someone's who has a flair for it.

> >several links to gurus and
> >BGI drivers and other Graph.TPU replacements.

> Indeed. However that does not tell you how reliable or
> effective they are. A newsgroup can (often).

> >Also look
> >for bitmap fonts etc.

> Unfortunately not really very scaleable. OTOH this application
> is likely to enforce VGA so some decent bitmapped fonts might
> be OK. I'm not looking for superfancy stuff at all. A couple
> of clear sans-serif at 20/30/40 pixelheight and a Timesroman
> style at a similar height. The sort of thing that would be
> suitable for partially sighted as well as fully sighted
> people. A recommendation would be appreciated.

> --
> Oz

The svga256.bgi is good enough for my purposes, perhaps it might be good
enough for yours.
The FE-editor is quite an old story. I tried it once, with little
result. I've been told (but that might just be a rumour) that it doesn't
work entirely as it should.
Bitmapfonts are inherently not scalable which makes them look much
better then the average CHR-font. I noticed that you're not interested
in using the SMFONTs, but I can't see your point when you say you need
some sans-serif fonts and a Times-like font. They're both there in
SMFONT-format and, although not scalable, in different sizes.

The only option I can see is that you use TrueType-fonts. There's a
group of people working on a package that lets you use these in a
standard Pascal, but I have forgotten the name of the initiative.
There'll probably be someone here who knows and if not I can dig it up.

Good luck,

Remco de Korte

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

hello
>The FE-editor is quite an old story.  I've been told (but that might just

be a rumour) that it doesn't

>work entirely as it should.

right with fe(i don't know if there are several version)  when you save your
chr, the message corrupted font file or something like appear,
but  there is a patch.
anyway i don't use this fe because for my work i made ,some years ago, my
own chr editor.
bye
patrick
marseille

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

Remco de Korte wrote:

blahblah
<>

Try this:

The FREETYPE Project
http://www.physiol.med.tu-muenchen.de/~robert/freetype.html

Regards,

Remco de Korte
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/

Re:BGI & .CHR Pascal 7 (Dos)

Try Svga256.bgi (if it works in tp7, I could send you the others described
here if you mail me). It works fine but crashes if invalid videomode (not
enough video mem), but is slow (like other BGI drivers). You'll have to know
how to implement user-defined bgi drivers. I don't know which modes have
which number, but I looked with a text editor and came to the following
result:

SVGA256.BGI    (tested)
->VGA/MCGA 320x200x256    needs    64k
->SuperVGA 640x400x256    needs    256k
->SuperVGA 640x350x256    needs    256k
->SuperVGA 640x480x256    needs    512k
->SuperVGA 800x600x256    needs    512k
->SuperVGA 1024x768x256   needs    1M
->VESA 1280x1024x256      needs    2M

SVGA16.BGI    (tested)
->EGA/VGA 320x200x16      needs    32k
->VGA 640x200x16          needs    64k    (why VGA?)
->EGA/VGA 640x350x16      needs    128k
->VGA 640x480x16          needs    256k
->SuperVGA 800x600x16     needs    256k
->SuperVGA 1024x768x16    needs    512k

SVGA32K.BGI    (not tested on my old graphx card)
->VGA/MCGA 320x200x32k    needs    128k and 15bit (VGA/MCGA is wrong, needs
SVGA and 15bit)
->SuperVGA 640x350x32k    needs    512k
->SuperVGA 640x400x32k    needs    512k
->SuperVGA 640x480x32k    needs    1M
->SuperVGA 800x600x32k    needs    1M

SVGAS3.BGI    (I don't have a s3, CHECK IT BEFORE!)
->S3 640x480x256          needs    512k
->S3 800x600x256          needs    512k
->S3 1024x768x256         needs    1M
->S3 800x600x16           needs    256k
->S3 1024x768x16          needs    512k
->S3 1280x960x16          needs    1M
->S3 1280x1024x16         needs    1M
->S3 640x480x32768        needs    1M

TWK16M.BGI    (tested, every VGA, but register compatibles only, ALLOW USER
TO SWITCH BACK TO STD VGA MODE [may damage monitor])
->Tweaked VGA 704x528x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 720x540x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 736x552x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 752x564x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 768x576x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 784x588x16  needs    256k
->Tweaked VGA 800x600x16  needs    256k

TWK256M.BGI    (tested, every VGA, but register compatibles only, ALLOW USER
TO SWITCH BACK TO STD VGA MODE [may damage monitor])
->VGA Tweaked 320x400x256 needs    128k
->VGA Tweaked 320x480x256 needs    256k
->VGA Tweaked 360x480x256 needs    256k
->VGA Tweaked 376x564x256 needs    256k
->VGA Tweaked 400x564x256 needs    256k
->VGA Tweaked 400x600x256 needs    256k
->VGA Tweaked 320x240x256 needs    128k

--
visit my homepage: http://rpolzer.home.pages.de
eMail: rpolzer.REM...@THIS.gmx.de

Oz schrieb in Nachricht <+yPaBIAyAD$1E...@upthorpe.demon.co.uk>...

>Apologies if this is a common question.

>Under T.Pascal 7:

>I vagely remember, some years ago, that there were some freeware fonts
>for TP7. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate any except the
>SMFONTS which are not really the sort of fonts I was after. Does anyone
>know where I can locate a more extensive set of .CHR fonts so that I can
>select one that is, shall I say, less clunky?

>I would also have hoped that (at least) VGAx256c mode BGI driver was
>available. I presume there is, does anyone have any recommendations?

>--
>Oz

  Rudolf E. Polzer.vcf
< 1K Download