PNG component

Hi there,

Is the a good component around for the PNG graphics format? Thank you.

Jens

Re:PNG component

Hi Jens,

"Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi there,

> Is the a good component around for the PNG graphics format? Thank you.

If you only want loading then download my GraphicEx library
(www.lischke-online.de).

Ciao, Mike

Re:PNG component

Thank you, Mike, seems to be a very good library. But I think not the
one I need (perhaps for other projects of mine). I need loading and
saving PNG images, and I am searching for a simple component (or
something similar), small (not very much other functionality), free,
with source code would be best.

Ciao, Jens

"Mike Lischke (Team JEDI)" wrote:

> Hi Jens,

> "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi there,

> > Is the a good component around for the PNG graphics format? Thank you.

> If you only want loading then download my GraphicEx library
> (www.lischke-online.de).

> Ciao, Mike

Re:PNG component

Jens

Mike's library is brilliant.

For a freeware, source included PNG read/write library check out
http://www.overpower.com.br/png. Very comprehensive with samples and decent
help.

Regards

--
Keith Blows
ke...@eta.co.za

"Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> wrote in message

> Thank you, Mike, seems to be a very good library. But I think not the
> one I need (perhaps for other projects of mine). I need loading and
> saving PNG images, and I am searching for a simple component (or
> something similar), small (not very much other functionality), free,
> with source code would be best.

> Ciao, Jens

> "Mike Lischke (Team JEDI)" wrote:

> > Hi Jens,

> > "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hi there,

> > > Is the a good component around for the PNG graphics format? Thank you.

> > If you only want loading then download my GraphicEx library
> > (www.lischke-online.de).

> > Ciao, Mike

Re:PNG component

Keith,

I looked at the overpower library briefly, in source code, and found it
really quite slow compared to what I was using before.  Maybe it was just
me, but if Jens doesn't mind a DLL, perhaps he would like to look at Eric
Enger's page:

  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

This includes saving etc.  I've done a few mods to handle greyscale images
and embedded text comments as I prefer.  I've been using the 1998 DLL in
widely distributed software for well over a year without problems.

David

"Keith Blows" <keithblo@_nosp...@woollyware.com> wrote in message

> Jens

> Mike's library is brilliant.

> For a freeware, source included PNG read/write library check out
> http://www.overpower.com.br/png. Very comprehensive with samples and
decent
> help.

> Regards

> --
> Keith Blows
> ke...@eta.co.za
> Tel: (011) 624-3636
> Fax: (011) 624-1188
> Cell: (083) 714-9908
> Web: http://www.eta.co.za
> "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> wrote in message
> > Thank you, Mike, seems to be a very good library. But I think not the
> > one I need (perhaps for other projects of mine). I need loading and
> > saving PNG images, and I am searching for a simple component (or
> > something similar), small (not very much other functionality), free,
> > with source code would be best.

> > Ciao, Jens

> > "Mike Lischke (Team JEDI)" wrote:

> > > Hi Jens,

> > > "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

you.

> > > If you only want loading then download my GraphicEx library
> > > (www.lischke-online.de).

> > > Ciao, Mike

Re:PNG component

Thank you, Keith, I think this is exactly what I need.

> Mike's library is brilliant.

I didn't say it isn't. Just too much for my little project. Also it
doesn't have to be fast, but sometimes the user has to open or save PNG
images. So, thank you again.

Jens

Re:PNG component

David

Thanks for the update on the speed issues, most of my apps have very modest
requirements and run on powerful machines, so I've not noticed the speed
issue you experience.

Another option also springs to mind if you're not adverse to using dll's (I
am and will stay away from at almost ANY cost):

ImgSource 2.0 from Smaller Animals
(http://www.smalleranimals.com/isource.htm)  is a pretty comprehensive
thread-safe graphics library for $25. It's written in MS Visual C++ 6 and
occupies 630kb. It does not require the MFC. I used it when I was stuck with
Visual Basic, which has no support for any decent graphics format. I believe
it is quite fast. It supports the following functions:

2.0.0.0  _ISWriteBMP
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteTIFF
2.0.0.0  _ISWritePCX
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteTGA
2.0.0.0  _ISWritePNG
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteJPG
2.0.0.0  _ISWritePAX
2.0.0.0  _ISWritePSD
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteTLA
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteRGBToWMF
2.0.0.0  _ISWriteRGBToEMF
2.0.0.0  _ISWrite1BitToTIFFFax
2.0.0.0  _ISWrite1BitToTIFFFaxMultiPage

It may take a couple of hours to understand the library and convert the
required API functions, but nothing rocket science. For 25 bucks, it's a
steal and the upgrades are free. I highly recommend this one.

Regards

--
Keith Blows
ke...@eta.co.za

"David Taylor" <david.j.tay...@baesystems.com> wrote in message

> Keith,

> I looked at the overpower library briefly, in source code, and found it
> really quite slow compared to what I was using before.  Maybe it was just
> me, but if Jens doesn't mind a DLL, perhaps he would like to look at Eric
> Enger's page:

>   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

> This includes saving etc.  I've done a few mods to handle greyscale images
> and embedded text comments as I prefer.  I've been using the 1998 DLL in
> widely distributed software for well over a year without problems.

> David

> "Keith Blows" <keithblo@_nosp...@woollyware.com> wrote in message
> > Jens

> > Mike's library is brilliant.

> > For a freeware, source included PNG read/write library check out
> > http://www.overpower.com.br/png. Very comprehensive with samples and
> decent
> > help.

> > Regards

> > --
> > Keith Blows
> > ke...@eta.co.za
> > Tel: (011) 624-3636
> > Fax: (011) 624-1188
> > Cell: (083) 714-9908
> > Web: http://www.eta.co.za
> > "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> wrote in message
> > > Thank you, Mike, seems to be a very good library. But I think not the
> > > one I need (perhaps for other projects of mine). I need loading and
> > > saving PNG images, and I am searching for a simple component (or
> > > something similar), small (not very much other functionality), free,
> > > with source code would be best.

> > > Ciao, Jens

> you.

Re:PNG component

Hey there,

PNG Delphi by default tests all compression filters for that image before
compressing, if you really need speed try using Filters := [efNone] rather
than the default [efSub, efUp, efAverage, efPaeth]

"David Taylor" <david.j.tay...@baesystems.com> escreveu na mensagem

> Keith,

> I looked at the overpower library briefly, in source code, and found it
> really quite slow compared to what I was using before.  Maybe it was just
> me, but if Jens doesn't mind a DLL, perhaps he would like to look at Eric
> Enger's page:

>   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

> This includes saving etc.  I've done a few mods to handle greyscale images
> and embedded text comments as I prefer.  I've been using the 1998 DLL in
> widely distributed software for well over a year without problems.

> David

> "Keith Blows" <keithblo@_nosp...@woollyware.com> wrote in message
> > Jens

> > Mike's library is brilliant.

> > For a freeware, source included PNG read/write library check out
> > http://www.overpower.com.br/png. Very comprehensive with samples and
> decent
> > help.

> > Regards

> > --
> > Keith Blows
> > ke...@eta.co.za
> > Tel: (011) 624-3636
> > Fax: (011) 624-1188
> > Cell: (083) 714-9908
> > Web: http://www.eta.co.za
> > "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> wrote in message
> > > Thank you, Mike, seems to be a very good library. But I think not the
> > > one I need (perhaps for other projects of mine). I need loading and
> > > saving PNG images, and I am searching for a simple component (or
> > > something similar), small (not very much other functionality), free,
> > > with source code would be best.

> > > Ciao, Jens

> you.

Re:PNG component

Gustavo,

Thanks for that.  Any idea how long saving a 2080 by 1500 8-bit greyscale
image would take or is it quite content dependant?

To be sure of a fair comparison, I also looked at the current version of
Eric Enger's stuff (now done by Dominique Louis) as it works with a newer
LPNG.DLL, but unfortunately that version was also slower and, in the files I
downloaded, contained missing code that appeared to prevent writing working
correctly.  I had to fix that first.  So I'm sticking with Eric Enger's
original code for the time being.

For JPEG work, the fastest stuff so far is code with MMX optimisations, but
unfortunately the LPNG authors have only optimised
reading....understandably.

I have reported the fault to Dominique but have yet to hear back.

David

"Gustavo Daud" <gustavod...@uol.com.br> wrote in message

> Hey there,

> PNG Delphi by default tests all compression filters for that image before
> compressing, if you really need speed try using Filters := [efNone] rather
> than the default [efSub, efUp, efAverage, efPaeth]

> "David Taylor" <david.j.tay...@baesystems.com> escreveu na mensagem
> > Keith,

> > I looked at the overpower library briefly, in source code, and found it
> > really quite slow compared to what I was using before.  Maybe it was
just
> > me, but if Jens doesn't mind a DLL, perhaps he would like to look at
Eric
> > Enger's page:

> >   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

> > This includes saving etc.  I've done a few mods to handle greyscale
images
> > and embedded text comments as I prefer.  I've been using the 1998 DLL in
> > widely distributed software for well over a year without problems.

> > David

> > "Keith Blows" <keithblo@_nosp...@woollyware.com> wrote in message
> > > Jens

> > > Mike's library is brilliant.

> > > For a freeware, source included PNG read/write library check out
> > > http://www.overpower.com.br/png. Very comprehensive with samples and
> > decent
> > > help.

> > > Regards

> > > --
> > > Keith Blows
> > > ke...@eta.co.za
> > > Tel: (011) 624-3636
> > > Fax: (011) 624-1188
> > > Cell: (083) 714-9908
> > > Web: http://www.eta.co.za
> > > "Jens Gruschel" <j...@pegtop.de> wrote in message

Thank
> > you.

Re:PNG component

it's true it's content dependent since PNG compact better the kind of
graphics that GIF did (except PNG compacts better than GIF), but when it
can't compact well obviously the output file will be larger and the encoder
will take more time to write more bytes.

Since it's the first version, I already started a new version with more ASM
using and possibily MMX and more...
My main goal will be speed but I intend also to correct some of the bugs

> Gustavo,

> Thanks for that.  Any idea how long saving a 2080 by 1500 8-bit greyscale
> image would take or is it quite content dependant?

> To be sure of a fair comparison, I also looked at the current version of
> Eric Enger's stuff (now done by Dominique Louis) as it works with a newer
> LPNG.DLL, but unfortunately that version was also slower and, in the files
> downloaded, contained missing code that appeared to prevent writing
working
> correctly.  I had to fix that first.  So I'm sticking with Eric Enger's
> original code for the time being.

> For JPEG work, the fastest stuff so far is code with MMX optimisations,
but
> unfortunately the LPNG authors have only optimised
> reading....understandably.

> I have reported the fault to Dominique but have yet to hear back.

> David

> "Gustavo Daud" <gustavod...@uol.com.br> wrote in message
> > Hey there,

> > PNG Delphi by default tests all compression filters for that image
before
> > compressing, if you really need speed try using Filters := [efNone]
rather
> > than the default [efSub, efUp, efAverage, efPaeth]

> > "David Taylor" <david.j.tay...@baesystems.com> escreveu na mensagem
> > > Keith,

> > > I looked at the overpower library briefly, in source code, and found
it
> > > really quite slow compared to what I was using before.  Maybe it was
> just
> > > me, but if Jens doesn't mind a DLL, perhaps he would like to look at
> Eric
> > > Enger's page:

> > >   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

> > > This includes saving etc.  I've done a few mods to handle greyscale
> images
> > > and embedded text comments as I prefer.  I've been using the 1998 DLL
in
> > > widely distributed software for well over a year without problems.

> > > David

> > > "Keith Blows" <keithblo@_nosp...@woollyware.com> wrote in message

> > > decent

> the