Using 32bits extender under TP6.0 or BP7.0

Hello,

        I have a _big_ problem: I'm writing a small database program but I
        have not enough memory to read all of the database (luckily, the
        database is now small enough but in a couple of days it will be too
        big). Since the guy who previously worked on the program used Turbo
        Pascal 6.0 I'm stuck with it... So what I need right now, I think,
        is a 32bits extender that lets me use all of the computer's memory,
        preferably as linear memory. If anybody could direct me to where
        to find such a program or which compiler (Pascal ofcourse,
        translating to C would be too great a job for +- 12000 lines) to
        use, I would be most thankful.

                                                JD
PS: email preferred
PPS: Please no flames as I was forced to use TP6.0 ...

 All you get in return is a shit shallow grave,        |  jero...@cs.vu.nl
  'cause in war there's no way you can win - Bodycount |  FWI - VU Holland

Re:Using 32bits extender under TP6.0 or BP7.0

JD (jero...@cs.vu.nl) wrote:

:       I have a _big_ problem: I'm writing a small database program but I
:       have not enough memory to read all of the database (luckily, the
:       database is now small enough but in a couple of days it will be too
:       big). Since the guy who previously worked on the program used Turbo
:       Pascal 6.0 I'm stuck with it...

If you update to Borland Pascal 7 you might get up to 16 Megabytes.
Many programs can be easily converted to run in protected mode
that is offered by version 7.

If this is not enough or the 64k segment size does also
cause problems, please read the web page
http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal.html
We try to convince Borland to remove these memory restrictions
in a new version of Borland Pascal for DOS.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg
Tel +49 761 203 9516, Fax 9540, e-mail: hartn...@uni-freiburg.de

r...@pe1chl.ampr.org (Rob Janssen) wrote:
>In <DHoCKL.CFw.0...@cs.vu.nl> jero...@cs.vu.nl (JD) writes:
>>        I have a _big_ problem: I'm writing a small database program but I
>>        have not enough memory to read all of the database (luckily, the
>>        database is now small enough but in a couple of days it will be too
>>        big).
>Probeer het eens anders op te zetten, d.w.z. niet de hele database in
>het geheugen te lezen.

Could you please answer in an understandable language ???? :)))

Alexandre Boisrame  (Toulouse - France)
     100766....@compuserve.com

e...@cs.vu.nl (Poll JE) wrote:

 >If you can't understand Netherlandish (*), make sure you don't post
 >articles on a local newsgroup in the Netherlands.

If you want to answer in Dutch, make sure you remove any international
forums from the Newsgroups line. Otherwise, mail or use English. I know
it feels silly.

 - Peter

Alexandre Boisrame (100766....@compuserve.com) wrote:

: r...@pe1chl.ampr.org (Rob Janssen) wrote:

: >In <DHoCKL.CFw.0...@cs.vu.nl> jero...@cs.vu.nl (JD) writes:

: >>      I have a _big_ problem: I'm writing a small database program but I
: >>      have not enough memory to read all of the database (luckily, the
: >>      database is now small enough but in a couple of days it will be too
: >>      big).

: >Probeer het eens anders op te zetten, d.w.z. niet de hele database in
: >het geheugen te lezen.

: Could you please answer in an understandable language ???? :)))

--PLINK--

If you can't understand Netherlandish (*), make sure you don't post
articles on a local newsgroup in the Netherlands.
As a matter of fact: I know that <jero...@cs.vu.nl> is Dutch, and that
he understands Dutch perfectly well (at least I hope so for him).
It seems to us that he is the one who posted the message.
Note that this is my opinion only and that I myself would be very happy
to post an answer in English on our vucsm.* groups.

        Greetings, Edo.

(*) Sorry, sometimes I am in a nationalistic mood, and I don't call
myself Dutch then. Matter of principle, just ignore it... It will pass.

Re:Using 32bits extender under TP6.0 or BP7.0

: >het geheugen te lezen.

Translation:

Try doing things differently, in otherwords, don't read the entire
database into memory.

Regards

James Burroughs

ARS Administrator

Service desk / Hulpburo (7I5G)

Information Technology / Inligtings Tegnologie

Telkom S.A.

eMAIL   : BURROUJH @ TELKOM09

Internet: Burro...@Telkom09.Telkom.Co.Za

ph      : +27(012)311-4280 (Service Desk)

ph      : +27(012)311-2461 (Direct)

Fax     : +27(012)324-4478

Pager   : +27(012)341-7607 Code:24342

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ORIGINAL MESSAGE STARTS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

Other Threads