Timeout Error on SQL Server 7.0 using MSSQL

Hi

I am trying to access a SQL server 7 database using the BDE and the
MSSQL native driver.  Using an MSSQL alias I get timeout errors
(the SQL operation is immaterial, the error always occurs after around
300 seconds)

1998/10/14  10:29:30 :: existing database deleted on user confirmation.
1998/10/14  10:34:36 :: ERROR: ALTER DATABASE:EDBEngineError.Lock time
out.
SQL Server connection timed out.
DBError :0
  Category    :40
  ErrorCode   :10249
  Message     :Lock time out.
  NativeError :0
  SubCode     :9
DBError :1
  Category    :51
  ErrorCode   :13059
  Message     :SQL Server connection timed out.
  NativeError :10024
  SubCode     :3
Exiting...

The ALIAS settings dont seem to help
MAX QUERY TIME=36000
TIMEOUT=36000

IF I use an ODBC dsn with a SQL Server alias, I dont get this error.

I would prefer to use the MSSQL native driver for speed and ease of
setup.
Any suggestions ?

thanks
Ian