Installation of BDE

Hello,

We have to redistrubute BDE (version 2.5, I think. Got the version from the
Help | About menu. Ships with Version 1 DBASE and PARADOX drivers) with our
application. The install process must create the aliases. Is there some
information available on doing this with this particular version of the BDE?
Maybe thru a C program or even thru InstallShield's InstallScript.

Any information I've found about the installationof the BDE has only
discussed the more recent versions of the BDE.

Any info on this is appreciated, as this is an urgent matter.

Thanks.

Jose Negron
Jose_Neg...@dtc.org

Re:Installation of BDE

In article <6l6jr4$q...@forums.borland.com>, Jose_Neg...@dtc.org says...

> We have to redistrubute BDE (version 2.5, I think. Got the version from the
> Help | About menu. Ships with Version 1 DBASE and PARADOX drivers) with our
> application. The install process must create the aliases.

I don't think IS (32-bit?) will create custom settings in 16-bit BDE
without a lot of effort.  You need an alternate strategy.

Either:

1. Ship a default .CFG file with your best guess for aliases to match
deployment defaults,  Have the user launch the BDE config utility and
make manual changes if they mess with the default deployment paths.
(Notes in your Readme).
 - or -
2. Roll some code (Delphi or C++) for a run-once final setup routine
which finds key files to locate where the user installed them and calls
BDE functions to create the matching aliases.  It doesn't look
impossible, but not a trivial task.  I think... Look at
DbiOpenCfgInfoList() as a starting point, but I've never tried it.
 - or -
3.  If you expect users to get really creative about deploy directories
and the aliases must be set by magic you may need to write your own
custom deployer which traps their choices and writes new aliases.
--
Paul Franks (TeamB)

Re:Installation of BDE

>We have to redistrubute BDE (version 2.5, I think. Got the version from the
>Help | About menu. Ships with Version 1 DBASE and PARADOX drivers) with our
>application. The install process must create the aliases. Is there some
>information available on doing this with this particular version of the BDE?

DbiAddAlias works in Delpi 1.  There are also a couple of 3rd party components
for this available for Delphi 1

>Maybe thru a C program or even thru InstallShield's InstallScript.

I don't know about installshield but Wise install handles configuring aliases
for 16 bit BDE.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Installation of BDE

Thanks for the info guys.

But I don't have access to Delphi and I don't have any docs on usage of BDE.
Do happen to know where I get this info?

I'll probably end up 'rolling my own', however I do believe that dll's can
be used by InstallScript, I'll do further research. If that's the case maybe
I can call BDE directly from the installation.

Thanks again.

Jose Negron
Jose_Neg...@dtc.org

Jose Negron wrote in message <6l6jr4$q...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hello,

>We have to redistrubute BDE (version 2.5, I think. Got the version from the
>Help | About menu. Ships with Version 1 DBASE and PARADOX drivers) with our
>application. The install process must create the aliases. Is there some
>information available on doing this with this particular version of the
BDE?
>Maybe thru a C program or even thru InstallShield's InstallScript.

>Any information I've found about the installationof the BDE has only
>discussed the more recent versions of the BDE.

>Any info on this is appreciated, as this is an urgent matter.

>Thanks.

>Jose Negron
>Jose_Neg...@dtc.org

Re:Installation of BDE

If you use WISE installation software ( similar to InstallShield) it is all
automated.
Very easy to include the BDE in your installation.

Re:Installation of BDE

>But I don't have access to Delphi

Then why are you posting in the Delphi newsgroups?

> and I don't have any docs on usage of BDE.
>Do happen to know where I get this info?

There are a lot of BDE examples on the Inprise website.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Installation of BDE

BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian Bushay TeamB) wrote:

>>But I don't have access to Delphi
>Then why are you posting in the Delphi newsgroups?

Actually, he posted in every single BDE newsgroup across the board.

>sigh<

Ken
---
Ken Mayer [TeamB]
Golden Stag Productions
http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv/homepage.htm
http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv/dbase/dbase.htm

Please respond in the newsgroup unless explictly asked otherwise

Re:Installation of BDE

On Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:56:24 GMT, BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian Bushay

TeamB) wrote:
>I don't know about installshield but Wise install handles configuring aliases
>for 16 bit BDE.

Installshield also handles the 16-bit BDE.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems
-
= Opinions expressed are not representative of my company, but just my own
= Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.dugg.org.za/
= Spam-garbled address: ellipse-data.co.za@stefan

Re:Installation of BDE

On Sat, 06 Jun 1998 01:12:08 GMT, BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian Bushay

TeamB) wrote:
>>But I don't have access to Delphi
>Then why are you posting in the Delphi newsgroups?

Brian, do I sense some impatience there?

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems
-
= Opinions expressed are not representative of my company, but just my own
= Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.dugg.org.za/
= Spam-garbled address: ellipse-data.co.za@stefan

Re:Installation of BDE

1. I post here because BDE=BORLAND Database Engine. Isn't it {*word*30}ing
obvious.

2. Usage of IS5 is corporate policy, so I can't use WISE. PERIOD.

3. The only docs/examples I've seen on the Inprise site are not clear and
most do not reference BDE 2.5 16-Bit. As far as IS5 the only examples with
the BDE I've seen deal with BDE 3.x and up. Not much help there.

If there's anyone who should be losing his patience it should be me.

Thanks for the non-help.

Jose Negron wrote in message <6l6jr4$q...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hello,

>We have to redistrubute BDE (version 2.5, I think. Got the version from the
>Help | About menu. Ships with Version 1 DBASE and PARADOX drivers) with our
>application. The install process must create the aliases. Is there some
>information available on doing this with this particular version of the
BDE?
>Maybe thru a C program or even thru InstallShield's InstallScript.

>Any information I've found about the installationof the BDE has only
>discussed the more recent versions of the BDE.

>Any info on this is appreciated, as this is an urgent matter.

>Thanks.

>Jose Negron
>Jose_Neg...@dtc.org

Re:Installation of BDE

How? Where can I get info on how IS5 does this (BDE 2.5 16-bit)?

Thx.

Stefan Paetow wrote in message <3579c0d2.6078...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:56:24 GMT, BBus...@DataGuidance.com (Brian Bushay
>TeamB) wrote:
>>I don't know about installshield but Wise install handles configuring
aliases
>>for 16 bit BDE.

>Installshield also handles the 16-bit BDE.

>Happy coding

>Stefan Paetow
>ellipse data systems
>-
>= Opinions expressed are not representative of my company, but just my own
>= Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.dugg.org.za/
>= Spam-garbled address: ellipse-data.co.za@stefan

Re:Installation of BDE

What did you expect? There is no specific BDE newsgroup.

<3578bc6c.13700...@forums.borland.com>...

In article <6lgqg8$4...@forums.borland.com>, Jose_Neg...@dtc.org says...

> 1. I post here because BDE=BORLAND Database Engine. ....

[omitted]

But with which product as a base? You cross-posted so widely it is
impossible to give specific help.  Everyone is guessing at how you may
get around the problem, but nobody except you knows the real limits.

And... no, 'obvious' is not engaged in {*word*225} activity.  Please avoid
strong language which may alienate all the folk who may still be able to
help you.

> 2. Usage of IS5 is corporate policy, so I can't use WISE. PERIOD.

> 3. The only docs/examples I've seen on the Inprise site are not clear and
> most do not reference BDE 2.5 16-Bit. As far as IS5 the only examples with
> the BDE I've seen deal with BDE 3.x and up. Not much help there.

Maybe if you can be more explicit with the details of your development
tool and some info about the deploy target?  When we know the real
problems and capabilities it is much easier to give direct advice.

Is there a reason why the alias *must* be created at install time?  Are
the end-users capable of configuring an alias if necessary with the BDE
Configuration utility?

If you are not using Delphi, which development tool are you using?

--
Paul Franks (TeamB)

Re:Installation of BDE

1. The reason I cross posted is because there is no specific newsgroup
dealing with BDE. Besides I posted to only 5 groups.

2. I said from the beginning, we are redistrubuting BDE version 2.5 16-bit
and the alias must be created at install time. I also said that will
probably 'roll my own' in a C program. Doesn't matter what the base prod is.
That's more than enough info to at least point me in the right direction.
BTW, Inprise's site does not have the best info on this.

More detail...
Installing Delphi 1 app, uses BDE 2.5 16-bit & the install MUST create the
alias. I don't have Delphi. I must use InstallShiel5 Pro. I must write an
external program to access BDE API to create the alias. The BDE API seems to
be a hidden secret because I cannot find it.

3. Sometimes strong language seems to be the only way to get a point across.
Especially to those who seem to think questions like these are beneath them
and to those with smart alec remarks.

I can't be the only one needing to do something like this. And forgive me
for not being a Delphi/BDE expert, but I pay my rent by writing C/C++
programs and installations (as well a  myriad of other {*word*99}).

All I'm looking for is a straight answer. And if there's anyone that's being
alienated, it's me. Sorry if I offended anyone's {*word*269} ears but I have work
to do.

JN

Paul Franks wrote in message ...
>In article <6lgqg8$4...@forums.borland.com>, Jose_Neg...@dtc.org says...
>> 1. I post here because BDE=BORLAND Database Engine. ....

>[omitted]

>But with which product as a base? You cross-posted so widely it is
>impossible to give specific help.  Everyone is guessing at how you may
>get around the problem, but nobody except you knows the real limits.

>And... no, 'obvious' is not engaged in {*word*225} activity.  Please avoid
>strong language which may alienate all the folk who may still be able to
>help you.

>> 2. Usage of IS5 is corporate policy, so I can't use WISE. PERIOD.

>> 3. The only docs/examples I've seen on the Inprise site are not clear and
>> most do not reference BDE 2.5 16-Bit. As far as IS5 the only examples
with
>> the BDE I've seen deal with BDE 3.x and up. Not much help there.

>Maybe if you can be more explicit with the details of your development
>tool and some info about the deploy target?  When we know the real
>problems and capabilities it is much easier to give direct advice.

>Is there a reason why the alias *must* be created at install time?  Are
>the end-users capable of configuring an alias if necessary with the BDE
>Configuration utility?

>If you are not using Delphi, which development tool are you using?

>--
>Paul Franks (TeamB)

Re:Installation of BDE

In article <6lhl07$57...@forums.borland.com>, Jose_Neg...@dtc.org says...

> Installing Delphi 1 app, uses BDE 2.5 16-bit & the install MUST create the
> alias. I don't have Delphi. I must use InstallShiel5 Pro. I must write an
> external program to access BDE API to create the alias. The BDE API seems to
> be a hidden secret because I cannot find it.

The picture is a little clearer.  Third party app getting repackaged.
Hmmm... If you had Delphi or BC++ I think you would have a BDE reference
in helpfile format, but...

I'm not sure if the paper BDE 2.5 reference is still available from
Customer Service.  My copy shows part # SDE1120WW21770, BOR7608, User
Guide, Borland Database Engine 2.0.  I think you'll get more luck dealing
with Matt Gentes by email at  customer-serv...@corp.inprise.com  rather
than using a phone as first contact.

> 3. Sometimes strong language seems to be the only way to get a point across.
> Especially to those who seem to think questions like these are beneath them
> and to those with smart alec remarks.

Nah, it just gets a net-cop on your case.

> I can't be the only one needing to do something like this. And forgive me
> for not being a Delphi/BDE expert, but I pay my rent by writing C/C++
> programs and installations (as well a  myriad of other {*word*99}).

A relatively infrequent request.  Most folk who need the info have it
within a software package.
--
Paul Franks (TeamB)
Go to page: [1] [2]