HELP ME PLEASE! (Interbase sooo slow)

I have considered  throwing my computer out of the window in pure
frustration! I have an Interbase table with 20 000 records, and just
to run through the table sequentially is so slow, I manage to count
faster than the records is being processed! Not to mention if I try to
update records using joins. What have I done wrong? My pc is a 486 DX2
50, with 12 Mb ram. Please somone help me!  I thought maybe some
server parameters, but I really dont know.

Vidar

Re:HELP ME PLEASE! (Interbase sooo slow)

Vidar Eriksen wrote:

> I have considered  throwing my computer out of the window in pure
> frustration! I have an Interbase table with 20 000 records, and just
> to run through the table sequentially is so slow, I manage to count
> faster than the records is being processed! Not to mention if I try to
> update records using joins. What have I done wrong? My pc is a 486 DX2
> 50, with 12 Mb ram. Please somone help me!  I thought maybe some
> server parameters, but I really dont know.

> Vidar

The first thing I would do is add some memory to the PC.

Then back up and restore the database to see if that helps.

--

Robert Schieck
MER Systems Inc.

Client/Server Development and Training using Delphi,  InterBase and
Oracle

InterBase page  http://www.mers.com/interbase.html
udflib page     http://www.mers.com/product.html
TDUG page       http://www.mers.com/tdug.html      -Toronto Delphi Users
Group

Re:HELP ME PLEASE! (Interbase sooo slow)

You are trying to handle SQL systems like ISAM systems(Paradox, Dbase,
Foxpro, etc).
If you are using Interbase use TQuery's not TTables.
If you want to scan  tables, use stored procedures.

My advice is to stick to Paradox tables unless there are some important
things in SQL systems you require. The SQL language support in Interbase
is very sparse and you will have to write or buy a UDF library ( not
applicable to the D1 version) if you intend to engage in a lot of data
manipulation.
You may also try SQL Anywhere.
Upgrading your memory might also help.

Re:HELP ME PLEASE! (Interbase sooo slow)

In article: <4pkh72$...@nms.telepost.no>  nor...@telepost.no (Vidar

Eriksen) writes:

> I have considered  throwing my computer out of the window in pure
> frustration! I have an Interbase table with 20 000 records, and just
> to run through the table sequentially is so slow,

Well now...

I have an application using the Interbase NLM and Delphi (1 and/or 2).
The database structure is such that there is a master table and several
detail tables linking the whole thing together.  This is all set up on a
TForm using TTables.

I found that going <Next> on the Master Table was excruciatingly slow
IF THERE WERE NO MATCHING DETAIL records.

I tracked it down this far as the actual server performance is fine
- send an equivalent query and the information comes back instantly -
yet single stepping through the DB code and there seems to be a lot of
activity trying to matchup the detail tables.

Could there be something in this?

Am I missing something?

Might the problem lie elsewhere?

To go back to answering YOUR question:  What is the performance of a
query like?

--
Matt McKenzie

Re:HELP ME PLEASE! (Interbase sooo slow)

Below is the URL of an article describing the differences between Paradox
and Interbase. It is in Adobe Acrobat format. It might help understand
what is going on.

Interbase vs Paradox - http://www.informant.com/delphi/disamp.HTM

Other Threads