performance problem??

    I have write a inventory control system with delphi 3.0 and SQL
Server 6.5 and run it in Chinese Windows95. I am using a Pentium 200
with 64M as the workstation and Dual PentiumPro with 256M ram as the
server.
    But the speed is very slow when deploy and run the application. I
need to wait about 1 min for a form to be generated, since i move the
form generation from the application startup to the moment when the user
select the required module. If i place all the form generation at the
applicaition startup, i need to wait at least 10 min so that the main
menu will be popup.
    I am using TTable for all the form design, is it the reason ??? I
hear that TQuery is faster but i need to control many thing by myself,
is there any reference i can found on this issue??  How can i speed up
such process?? Can i shift some of the job to the server so that the
time can be reduce. Is there any document or books teach how to write an
efficient client-server application?? Is there any tuning can be done at
the SQL Server, SQL Client/BDE??
    The performance is not acceptable, we can't expect each workstation
can have a pentium 233 / higher with 64M ram. Most of the workstation is
only pentium 133/166 with 32M ram, if i run the application on such
configuration, what should i do??????

Regards,
{*word*106}.

Re:performance problem??

Hi!

Recently  We have finished the Alpha testing for an application using
delphi 2.0 and SQL Server 6.5. It's aMRP system and one module of the
application is inventory control. The front end is _Chinese_ Windows 95.
So, you see, it seems that we have quite similar experience.

More specific to your question, here are a few suggestions:
1. Using TQuery + TUpdateSQL, not the TTable component.
    Not only because TQuery is faster, it gives you more control over the
SQL statements generated by your application.  And, I am sure you will
encounter the 'connection number' problem using TTable with MSSQL Server
6.5.

2. Write as much back-end stored-procedures as possible.
   In our application,  among  a total of about 100,000 lines of code, over
30, 000 lines of code are written in the back-end Transact SQL Language .

3. Open TQuery only when necessary
   The most important thing in design Client/Server applications is to
control net work traciffic. Download the data only when necesary. For
example, if you have five TQueries in your form, and when the form is
shown, only 2 of them must be opend, then just open 2 when started. Yes,
this will required more coding, but I think there is no work-around.

Using these suggestions, I am sure your front end computer can be a 486
with 16M memory running Windows 95.  Although this is not the recommended
hard-ware configuration for our application, I have tested it. The result
is not ver satisfactory, but acceptable.

Hope this can help you.

By the way, I am a programmer in Shenzhen, mainland China. Since we are
doing nearly the same kind of job, maybe we can exchange ideas more often.
If you are interested, just send a personal e-mail to
yuf...@nenpub.szptt.net.cn.

dick Chu <di...@netvigator.com> 被写入到文章
<3465320E.8766E...@netvigator.com> 中...

>     I have write a inventory control system with delphi 3.0 and SQL
> Server 6.5 and run it in Chinese Windows95. I am using a Pentium 200
> with 64M as the workstation and Dual PentiumPro with 256M ram as the
> server.
>     But the speed is very slow when deploy and run the application. I
> need to wait about 1 min for a form to be generated, since i move the
> form generation from the application startup to the moment when the user
> select the required module. If i place all the form generation at the
> applicaition startup, i need to wait at least 10 min so that the main
> menu will be popup.
>     I am using TTable for all the form design, is it the reason ??? I
> hear that TQuery is faster but i need to control many thing by myself,
> is there any reference i can found on this issue??  How can i speed up
> such process?? Can i shift some of the job to the server so that the
> time can be reduce. Is there any document or books teach how to write an
> efficient client-server application?? Is there any tuning can be done at
> the SQL Server, SQL Client/BDE??
>     The performance is not acceptable, we can't expect each workstation
> can have a pentium 233 / higher with 64M ram. Most of the workstation is
> only pentium 133/166 with 32M ram, if i run the application on such
> configuration, what should i do??????

> Regards,
>{*word*106}.

Other Threads