"Invalid field type" exception

I have the following problem:
  I am transfering data from a remote ODBC accessed table to a local
ODBC accessed M$-Excel spreadsheet-table. I'm not quite getting how
exactly the conversion from the spreadsheet to table is implemented, but
that's not the question.
  I am receiving a "Invalid field type" EDBEngine exception while doing
a TBatchMove. It does not matter (seems to me) whether I specify the
cell formats in the Excel table or not. Maybe I am doing that in a wrong
way?
  Maybe some of you can throw some ideas in about that exception and
accessing Excel spreadsheets via Delphi (and/or via ODBC) in general?

                            Thanks in advance,
                                Juris.

P.S. Could you please reply by e-mail?