Delphi Pascal / Closest match to other Pascal language

John R wrote:

>         Which version / flavor of Pascal does the language used in
> Delphi most closely resemble.  I am interested in getting a reference
> book on the language as I start to work with Delphi.

> Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated.
> jrid...@socomm.net

If you get a Borland Pascal 7 book, you will get a very good reference
on the pascal language.  It does not address true object oriented
concerns, but it will teach you syntax and low level constructs (linked
lists etc)

Carl

Carlton.hew...@cbn.org

Re:Delphi Pascal / Closest match to other Pascal language

In article <3257924a.2069...@news.socomm.net>,
   jrid...@socomm.net (John R) wrote:
]-      Which version / flavor of Pascal does the language used in
]-Delphi most closely resemble.  I am interested in getting a reference
]-book on the language as I start to work with Delphi.

how about the Object Pascal Language Guide?  is a bound copy
included with D2?  I don't know, but a PDF version comes on
the D1 upgrade CD, or you can get it from the Delphi Super Page
or Borland's ftp site.

Mark Vaughan

]-

In article <3257924a.2069...@news.socomm.net>, John R says...

>    Which version / flavor of Pascal does the language used in
> Delphi most closely resemble.  I am interested in getting a reference
> book on the language as I start to work with Delphi.

The language you use with Delphi 2.0 is Object Pascal (borland's one,
don't mix it with the old Object Pascal) version 9.0, and is
descendant Borland's Turbo Pascal. Objects were first introduced in
Turbo Pascal Version 5.5. Major changes since then were:

5.5:
objects
procedural types

6.0 (Turbo Pascal):
public, private keywords (allow control over field/method visibility)

7.0 (Borland Pascal with Objects 7.0):
protected keyword (seems borland just forgot to add it in 6.0)
inherited keyword (makes source easier to read)
abstract keyword (allows declaration of pure virtual methods)
dynamic methods (dispatched through the DMT by index, very useful in
message-driven systems like windows).

8.0: (delphi 1.0)
RTTI (that made Delphi possible)
class keyword (fixing terminology).
auto dereferencing
override keyword (also to fix terminology, now you declare _virtual_
method and then override it with _override_ keyword, old idea that was
used in Object Pascal).
virtual constructors support.

9.0:
variants
automation support
misc. calling conventions support (cdecl, stdcall, pascal and
register; Hey, all C funs, now we have fast calls too :) ).

So, 5.5 manual will be enough to learn the language (it even has 4
pages describing what object-oriented programming is for). Then you
can jump to the Delphi manuals (8.0 recommended) to learn Borland's
Object Pascal as it is now, and finally peek a couple of third-party
books to learn more about VCL.

Anyway, the best book is source code. There are some great pieces in
delphi's /SOURCE folder.

Other Threads