Windowstate in MDI Child Forms

Hi,

I've got a small MDI project. One Child form I would like to have maximized
when opened, but I also have another child form within the application that
I would like to keep small. Whenever I open the maximized a window, it seems
to maximize all the children, not just the single window.

Is their a way I can either stop this from happening (ie, when Maximizing a
window, it only maximizes one child), or force a particular child window to
stay at a certian size?

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

Re:Windowstate in MDI Child Forms

"Adam H." wrote:
> I've got a small MDI project. One Child form I would like to have maximized
> when opened, but I also have another child form within the application that
> I would like to keep small. Whenever I open the maximized a window, it seems
> to maximize all the children, not just the single window.

> Is their a way I can either stop this from happening (ie, when Maximizing a
> window, it only maximizes one child), or force a particular child window to
> stay at a certian size?

What should happen is that once you maximize one child, changing
to another child will maximize that child. That includes
switching to another child directly or closing the current
maximized child. That's the way MDI is designed. About all you
could do is have the form you don't want maximized force itself
back to "normal" when maximized. Of course, when you switch from
there to another child, you won't go back to maximization.

Good luck.

Kurt

Re:Windowstate in MDI Child Forms

Thanks Kurt for your reply...

>  About all you
> could do is have the form you don't want maximized force itself
> back to "normal" when maximized. Of course, when you switch from
> there to another child, you won't go back to maximization.

That's not quite the 'effect' that I was chasing. I thought I have seen
quickbooks do what I wanted. (Their navigation form), however after reading
your message, I've realised that they actually force the form back to normal
when the navigation form is brought back to the front.

The more I find out about these MDI forms, the more I realise their not as
customisable as I had hoped....

Thanks for your help...

"Adam H." wrote:
> The more I find out about these MDI forms, the more I realise their not as
> customisable as I had hoped....

Right. That's the biggest problem with MDI - it works "this way"
and if you don't like "this way", tough. Even MS won't use it in
their own apps.

Good luck.

Kurt

"Kurt Barthelmess (TeamB)" <KBarthelm...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> Right. That's the biggest problem with MDI - it works "this way"
> and if you don't like "this way", tough. Even MS won't use it in
> their own apps.

Isn't MS Word and Excell MDI applications, or do they create them a
different way?

"Adam H." wrote:
> > Right. That's the biggest problem with MDI - it works "this way"
> > and if you don't like "this way", tough. Even MS won't use it in
> > their own apps.

> Isn't MS Word and Excell MDI applications, or do they create them a
> different way?

They are not. MS presumably used a bunch of the original MDI code
in crafting the custom "MDI" code for Word and Excel, but they
didn't pass on the enhancements to the rest of us.

Good luck.

Kurt

Other Threads