MS Access performance

I have upgraded from Paradox to MS Access and in doing so, I encountered
sever problems in performance while trying to perform table updates.  The
code I used in paradox would run through 11,000 records in about 1 minute.
The same code with the necessary changes takes out 2 hours.  I tested the
while statement without going into edit mode and updating any records, and
the code went through the table in about 4 seconds.  When I use the While
statement with an EOF and include and edit and then post the edit, the
process takes about 2 hours.  Here is an example of some of the code:

      intMin := 0;
      taViolations.Edit;
      intMax := taViolations.RecordCount;
      taViolations.First;
      ProgressBar1.Max := intMax;
      Screen.Cursor := crHourGlass;//changes the cursor style to an Hour
Glass
      for i := intMin to intMax do
        begin
          Position := i;
          ProgressBar1.Position := i;
          taViolations.Next;
          taViolations.Edit;
          taViolationsTICKETYEAR.asInteger := 0000;
        end file://end to the above begin statement
    end;  file://end to the begin under the with statement
  ProgressBar1.Position := 0;
  Screen.Cursor := crDefault;  file://changes to cursor back to the Default
  checkbox1.State := cbUnchecked;

The whole problem is on the Edit and putting the changes to the field.  Any
Ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re:MS Access performance

Hi Yong

I use DAO 4 from Diamond access

I have written a little test with it and i can create 10.000 rec in 13 sec
with it.
Don't believe me download the Tester i made it available at my sites,
download.htm

--
Walter Verhoeven
ABC-Software-Engineering Ltd.

Young Angus Ranch <da...@inetnebr.com> wrote in message

> I have upgraded from Paradox to MS Access and in doing so, I encountered
> sever problems in performance while trying to perform table updates.  The
> code I used in paradox would run through 11,000 records in about 1 minute.
> The same code with the necessary changes takes out 2 hours.  I tested the
> while statement without going into edit mode and updating any records, and
> the code went through the table in about 4 seconds.  When I use the While
> statement with an EOF and include and edit and then post the edit, the
> process takes about 2 hours.  Here is an example of some of the code:

>       intMin := 0;
>       taViolations.Edit;
>       intMax := taViolations.RecordCount;
>       taViolations.First;
>       ProgressBar1.Max := intMax;
>       Screen.Cursor := crHourGlass;//changes the cursor style to an Hour
> Glass
>       for i := intMin to intMax do
>         begin
>           Position := i;
>           ProgressBar1.Position := i;
>           taViolations.Next;
>           taViolations.Edit;
>           taViolationsTICKETYEAR.asInteger := 0000;
>         end file://end to the above begin statement
>     end;  file://end to the begin under the with statement
>   ProgressBar1.Position := 0;
>   Screen.Cursor := crDefault;  file://changes to cursor back to the
>   checkbox1.State := cbUnchecked;

> The whole problem is on the Edit and putting the changes to the field.
Any
> Ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Other Threads