DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

Hi,

I've writtent an application in Delphi Dev. 2.0 which loads a DLL.
This works fine in Windows 95, but unfortunately the DLL can't be
found when I run the app in NT 4.0

The DLL is is the app's startup directory and I've even tried putting
it in the system root directory, alias c:\winnt35.

When I start the app a message box pops up sayin that the required DLL
can't be found. It displays the path in which it searches for it,
which includes both the apps startup dir + the system root dir...?

I don't have nay problems though with apps written in MS VC++.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be...?

Thanks,

--
Lene Kjelds{*word*249}

Re:DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

l...@post6.tele.dk (Lene Kjelds{*word*249}) wrote:

In NT, it expects the extension too.  if you are declaring the DLL as
'mydll', change it to 'mydll.dll'

>I've writtent an application in Delphi Dev. 2.0 which loads a DLL.
>This works fine in Windows 95, but unfortunately the DLL can't be
>found when I run the app in NT 4.0

>The DLL is is the app's startup directory and I've even tried putting
>it in the system root directory, alias c:\winnt35.

>When I start the app a message box pops up sayin that the required DLL
>can't be found. It displays the path in which it searches for it,
>which includes both the apps startup dir + the system root dir...?

Sean Cunningham
MSI Consulting Group
www.msiconsulting.com

Re:DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

> I've writtent an application in Delphi Dev. 2.0 which loads a DLL.
> This works fine in Windows 95, but unfortunately the DLL can't be
> found when I run the app in NT 4.0

> --

Make sure that your declarations in Delphi include the DLL filename AND the
dll extentsion

eg
  function MyFunc(dwData: DWORD); external 'mydll.dll';

Peter

Re:DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

: l...@post6.tele.dk (Lene Kjelds{*word*249}) wrote:

>Hi,

>I've writtent an application in Delphi Dev. 2.0 which loads a DLL.
>This works fine in Windows 95, but unfortunately the DLL can't be
>found when I run the app in NT 4.0

>The DLL is is the app's startup directory and I've even tried putting
>it in the system root directory, alias c:\winnt35.

>When I start the app a message box pops up sayin that the required DLL
>can't be found. It displays the path in which it searches for it,
>which includes both the apps startup dir + the system root dir...?

>I don't have nay problems though with apps written in MS VC++.

Win95 will accept DLL names like "mydll.dll" AND "mydll".

WinNT only accepts ONE of these (don't ask me which - don't remember).

I really would appreciate if you could followup with a solution to
your problem - a user has reported exactly the same problem with an NT
4 system. According to him all workarounds known to me simply fail (I
am trying to load MAPI32.DLL dynamically).

Thanks
Stefan
--
Stefan.Hoffmeis...@UNI-Passau.DE
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/

Re:DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

Hi everybody,

I received several e-mails with the solution... Sean is correct. I
also received a few requests to pass on the information so I'm just
confirming it here for the benefit of everybody.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I've mailed everybody my thanks
but for the benefit of everybody else. Check out my company... we
publish a couple of free software packages which you might find
usefull. the URL is http://www.intelitech.com

Regards,

--
name:   Lene Kjelds{*word*249}
e-mail: l...@post6.tele.dk

Re:DLL not found in Windows NT 4.0

in NT you need the full name: xxx.dll this also works in Win95. xxx by
itself works in Win95 but not NT.  The problem is with NT's DLL loader.

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
paulm at pccity.com.au - now working!

Stefan Hoffmeister <Stefan.Hoffmeis...@UNI-Passau.DE> wrote in article
<333ca509.11392...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>...

> : l...@post6.tele.dk (Lene Kjelds{*word*249}) wrote:

> >Hi,

> >I've writtent an application in Delphi Dev. 2.0 which loads a DLL.
> >This works fine in Windows 95, but unfortunately the DLL can't be
> >found when I run the app in NT 4.0

> >The DLL is is the app's startup directory and I've even tried putting
> >it in the system root directory, alias c:\winnt35.

> >When I start the app a message box pops up sayin that the required DLL
> >can't be found. It displays the path in which it searches for it,
> >which includes both the apps startup dir + the system root dir...?

> >I don't have nay problems though with apps written in MS VC++.

> Win95 will accept DLL names like "mydll.dll" AND "mydll".

> WinNT only accepts ONE of these (don't ask me which - don't remember).

> I really would appreciate if you could followup with a solution to
> your problem - a user has reported exactly the same problem with an NT
> 4 system. According to him all workarounds known to me simply fail (I
> am trying to load MAPI32.DLL dynamically).

> Thanks
> Stefan
> --
> Stefan.Hoffmeis...@UNI-Passau.DE