Replacement for D5 Std CD

I'm planning to wipe my hard drive, but have mislaid my D5
Standard installation CD.

Where can I get a replacement? Cheap?

What if I install the downloadable D5 demo? If Borland can find
my registration record, will I be able to permanently enable it?

Thanks,
Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

If you call Borland, they will ship a replacement for you for a minimal fee.
I think mine was $15.00.  You do have to provide proof of purchase.

Edwin

"Elliott Shevin" <shev...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I'm planning to wipe my hard drive, but have mislaid my D5
> Standard installation CD.

> Where can I get a replacement? Cheap?

> What if I install the downloadable D5 demo? If Borland can find
> my registration record, will I be able to permanently enable it?

> Thanks,
> Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

Nathaniel wrote:

> If you call Borland, they will ship a replacement for you for a minimal fee.
> I think mine was $15.00.  You do have to provide proof of purchase.

And they still have CDs left.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Nathaniel" <enwal...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>If you call Borland, they will ship a replacement for you for a minimal fee.
>I think mine was $15.00.  You do have to provide proof of purchase.

Thank you, Nathaniel! Alas, it was a gift. And even if it weren't, I discarded any proof long ago. But they probably have a record of my registration nonetheless, so all is not lost.

Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>And they still have CDs left.

There's always a down side. :-S

I'll have backed up my hard drive to CDs before reformatting.
If I were to copy the installed files back from the CD, would
much fiddling in the Registry be needed to make it functional?

I've got Norton Registry Editor, and could export any
significant branches of the registry before backing up,
then reimport them to the new Registry. But I should point
out that the reason I'll be reformatting is to upgrade from
Win95 to Win98 SE.

Ever behind the curve,
Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

Elliott Shevin wrote:

> "Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >And they still have CDs left.

> There's always a down side. :-S

> I'll have backed up my hard drive to CDs before reformatting.
> If I were to copy the installed files back from the CD, would
> much fiddling in the Registry be needed to make it functional?

At a minimum you will need your whole Delphi directory, the common files\borland
shared directory, all bpl's in the <windows\system> directory and the Delphi
registry entries in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  Don't forget
BDE settings too.  I know I've missed at least one item, probably more.  Copying
a whole install like that is not a simple matter.

> I've got Norton Registry Editor, and could export any
> significant branches of the registry before backing up,
> then reimport them to the new Registry. But I should point
> out that the reason I'll be reformatting is to upgrade from
> Win95 to Win98 SE.

Why not just try to do a normal upgrade between the two.  I've done that upgrade
in the past without issues.  If it works it would be the simplest way to go.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
Give me time, won't you give me that time!
Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Why not just try to do a normal upgrade between the two.  I've done that upgrade
>in the past without issues.  If it works it would be the simplest way to go.

Actually, I am hoping I can. :-)

Obviously, this is the least painful course.

I won't know until the Win98 CD arrives whether you can go directly from Win95 to Win98 SE.

One of the benefits I hope to reap, though, is the ability to address my entire 15gig HD, which Win95 won't. In fact, the drive is in three accessible partitions now, and C: doesn't have a lot of space left. I hope to merge the entire drive into one partition. Do you know a good Partition Magic knockoff?

Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Elliott Shevin" <shev...@aol.com> wrote:
>I won't know until the Win98 CD arrives whether you can go directly from Win95 to Win98 SE.

FWIW, I went from Win95C to Win98SE without too many problems,
and without losing any of my Delphi installations.  I know I've
still got some "junk" that could be eliminated by a clean install,
but too many programs I didn't want the hassle of re-installing
and re-registering.  You may want to back up that partition to
something like Powerquest DriveImage or Norton Ghost first,
just in case something goes wrong.

>One of the benefits I hope to reap, though, is the ability to address my entire 15gig HD, which Win95 won't. In fact, the drive is in three accessible partitions now, and C: doesn't have a lot of space left. I hope to merge the entire drive into one partition. Do you know a good Partition Magic knockoff?

Well, I use PM, but I've seen several freeware imitations around.
Don't know which to recommend, though. Actually, there may be
some advantages to keeping your other files separate from the
partition with your Windows files.

Rick Carter
Rick.Car...@cincww.rcc.org
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

Elliott Shevin wrote:

> Do you know a good Partition Magic knockoff?

No, I use Partition Magic <g>.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.
Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe.
But was that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?
Give me time, won't you give me that time!
Welcome back to the circus.            (Fish)

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Elliott Shevin" <shev...@aol.com> wrote:
>Do you know a good Partition Magic knockoff?

One more thing to mention: I wouldn't take a chance on a PM
knock-off without first backing up the whole partition to Ghost
or DriveImage, unless you want to take a chance on losing
everything. (I won't even use PM without making such an image
first.) If you're too cheap to buy one of those products, you
could get by with the demo version of NovaStor's "Instant
Recovery," if you can put up with the slow, clunky interface
and the nag screens.

> "Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >Why not just try to do a normal upgrade between the two.  I've done that
upgrade
> >in the past without issues.  If it works it would be the simplest way to
go.

> Actually, I am hoping I can. :-)

> Obviously, this is the least painful course.

> I won't know until the Win98 CD arrives whether you can go directly from

Win95 to Win98 SE.

One thing I don't quite understand, is why you'd spend good money for a copy
of Windows Playstation when you could have just as easily bought XP Home for
the same price...

John

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"John Elrick" <jelr...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>One thing I don't quite understand, is why you'd spend good money for a copy
>of Windows Playstation when you could have just as easily bought XP Home for
>the same price...

Who knew? All the XP I could find was $20 more.

And my machine might not be up to it.

Elliott

Re:Replacement for D5 Std CD

"Rick Carter" <Rick.Car...@cincww.rcc.org> wrote:
>If you're too cheap to buy one of those products,

Spot-on!

>You could get by with the demo version of NovaStor's "Instant
>Recovery," if you can put up with the slow, clunky interface
>and the nag screens.

For one afternoon, I'll live with it. :-)

Actually, it got at least one highly favorable review, so it's probably at least tolerable.

Thanks for this advice. It might save my {*word*82}next Sunday. I was going to just use Nero to image the disk, but if disaster does strike, one of the utilities you named can put things back together with a lot less fuss.

Elliott

Other Threads