Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

I switched to a Pentium Pro 200 mH, and BP7.0 appeared to work okay.
Now I have three problems, perhaps interrelated.

Most weird is when I try to detect a file using
assign(fn,name_of_file)
{$i-}reset{$i+}
if ioresult = 0 then begin
        do stuff when file exists....
end;

the program ALWAYS tell me the file exists, and opens it for input
from the keyboard if it does not exist. This is indeed a shocker! I
have rewritten important code using filefirst to get around this, but
I'm lost as to what's happening (I even reinstalled the compiler, to
no avail). BTW, this only occurs when I am in the IDE. BP works
normally with the standalone de{*word*81} or when the program is run from
the command line. It also works correctly from native MSDOS mode--just
not in a DOS box.

Second, when I type BP from the command line, it takes about 8 seconds
for loading to begin (no disk activity of any sort). The it comes up.

Third, BP hangs once in a while during an editing session.

HELP, you experts out there?  What kind of gremlin is pestering me?
(I've checked for viruses--none).

Cordially,

Herbert Gintis
Department of Economics

Second,

Re:Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

H|!

>I switched to a Pentium Pro 200 mH, and BP7.0 appeared to work okay.
>Now I have three problems, perhaps interrelated.

>Most weird is when I try to detect a file using
>assign(fn,name_of_file)
>{$i-}reset{$i+}
>if ioresult = 0 then begin
>        do stuff when file exists....
>end;

I think that this code won't compile on any pascal compiler. Better send
the correct example.

>the program ALWAYS tell me the file exists, and opens it for input
>from the keyboard if it does not exist. This is indeed a shocker! I
>have rewritten important code using filefirst to get around this, but

                                     ^^^^^^^^^ It's Ok if that one is working.
>I'm lost as to what's happening (I even reinstalled the compiler, to
>no avail). BTW, this only occurs when I am in the IDE. BP works
>normally with the standalone de{*word*81} or when the program is run from
>the command line. It also works correctly from native MSDOS mode--just
>not in a DOS box.

Then maybe, your BP 7.0 package is spoilt like the one I have.

                                                  SBR.
---
Bu...@stk.ksu.ras.ru
{Excuse me please for my bad russian, my native language is DELPHI 32-bit}

Re:Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

On 2 Nov 1996 05:11:20 +0600, "Bulat R. Sirazetdinov"

<bu...@stk.ksu.ras.ru> wrote:
>Hi!

>>I switched to a Pentium Pro 200 mH, and BP7.0 appeared to work okay.
>>Now I have three problems, perhaps interrelated.

>>Most weird is when I try to detect a file using
>>assign(fn,name_of_file)
>>{$i-}reset{$i+}
>>if ioresult = 0 then begin
>>        do stuff when file exists....
>>end;
>I think that this code won't compile on any pascal compiler. Better send
>the correct example.

Sorry! The code should read:
var
        fn : text;
    name_of_file : string;
begin
        name_of_file := 'abcdefg.hij';
>>assign(fn,name_of_file);
>>{$i-}reset(fn);{$i+}
>>if ioresult = 0 then begin
>>        do stuff when file exists....
>>end;

etc.....

Even when the file does not exist, ioresult returns 0, and BP7 opens
the file for input from the keyboard.

I reenstalled BP 7.0 and this continues. I don't see how I could have
a corrupt set of installation diskettes, since BP 7.0 worked fine for
me for years before this started to happen (after getting my Pentium
Pro, though I can't say for sure that it was immediately after, so
this may or may not be the problem).

Regards,

Herbert Gintis
Professor of Economics

gin...@econs.umass.edu (Herbert M. Gintis) wrote:

>Even when the file does not exist, ioresult returns 0, and BP7 opens
>the file for input from the keyboard.

Are you SURE your name_of_file is not blank.  If you open such a
filename for input you will get exactly that (ie read from keyboard).

Re:Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

On Tue, 05 Nov 1996 15:51:37 GMT, lest...@global.co.za (Lester Hanger)
wrote:

>gin...@econs.umass.edu (Herbert M. Gintis) wrote:

>>Even when the file does not exist, ioresult returns 0, and BP7 opens
>>the file for input from the keyboard.

>Are you SURE your name_of_file is not blank.  If you open such a
>filename for input you will get exactly that (ie read from keyboard).

Yes, I'm positive. I've tried assignments like
        assign(fnn,'slob.grr')

and like

        s := 'slob.grr';
        assign(fnn,s);