BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

Hi:

I'm a new subscriber to this newsgroup, and I don't know if you address
such high level questions from users not programmers, but here is my
problem anyway.

I have two applications: one a failure program that uses Oracle 7.25
databases and one analysis program that uses mssql databases.  Both are
purchased products from separate vendors that use BDE.  The first one
uses BDE 4.0 and the second BDE 5.0 which is loaded on the client side.
Each program works fine by itself, but when loaded on the same machine
only the last one loaded works.  Actually, it works provided the Borland
directory on c: program files is deleted prior to installation of the
BDE 4.0 application.  I know that BDE 5.0 should be backward compatible
so I tried to set up the BDE 5.0 administrator parameters identical to
the working state of the BDE 4.0 application but no success.

Is there something else I need to do?

I keep hearing about merging the configuration files, Is that
idapi32.cfg file?

There is a chance of getting an update to Ver 5.0 on the older first
program, but I wonder if that will fix my problems.

Please help

Thanks
-jsh

Re:BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

Can you be more specific? If you install both programs which one will not
run? What is the exact text of the error message?

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

Each program works fine by itself. If you install both programs the one
loaded first will not run.
When program A is loaded first and NOT running - when a database query
is made the hourglass with an SQL under it just sits there forever.
When program B is loaded first and NOT running you get an error message
the the wrong version of BDE is loaded and the program ends.  It is
looking for 5.0 and seeing 4.0.

To get program A to work you have to delete the Borland directory on c:
program files and load it.  Once program B is loaded a will not run  and
you get the above symptoms.

To get program B to work you need just to install it.

Any ideas on how to them both to work?

Bill Todd wrote:

> Can you be more specific? If you install both programs which one will not
> run? What is the exact text of the error message?

> Bill
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

The problem is that each program's installation routine should check the
Windows registry to see whether a copy of the BDE is already installed
on the computer. If the BDE is installed, the installation program
should simply update the BDE files if necessary. Both applications have
defective installation routines because they both fail to check for an
existing BDE.

Some installation programs (I think Corel's Office is one of them) allow
you to choose which components to install, and you can disable
installation of the BDE. That is what you want to do. You should
uninstall both products and both copies of the BDE. Delete the files if
necessary, and the registry entries if possible. Then install one of the
products with its copy of the BDE, update it if necessary to BDE version
5.01 (available at http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde), then install
the other product without its copy of the BDE.

If you can't disable installation of the BDE on either product, you
should contact the vendors to see if they can provide either an update
with a correct installation routine that will recognize an existing BDE,
or instructions for editing the registry so your system recognizes only
one BDE.

Stick to your guns. This is a serious defect in the products, and the
vendors must fix it or refund your money. Users need to insist that
developers who deploy the BDE do so correctly.

  Richard

Re:BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

The problem may be that one of the programs is doing a partial BDE install.
You can tell be looking in the directory where the EXE is and see if there
are any BDE files there. Another approach is to search your hard drive for
IDAPI32.DLL and see if a) there is more than one copy and b) if one of them
is in the same directory as one of the EXE's. If so, you will need to delete
all of the BDE files from the EXE directory. What you need to get to a
single full installation of BDE 5.x.

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:BDE 4.0 vs BDE 5.0

Thanks to Bill and Richard:

Thanks Guys, but no luck with either suggestion.

Richard, the bde4.0 application has 2500 clients while the bde5.0
application has 10 clients.  I will try, but I suspect both vendors will
say and can prove that their product works fine.  I believe, as many of
us do, that they work in isolation and don't even consider other
applications needing to co-exist.  I still believe it's a *.cfg problem.

Bill, thanks for the input, but there is only one .dll and the only .exe
file is the bdeadmin the others are on the server side.

Thanks again
-jsh