Delphi on Linux?

Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
be hard.

--Dan

Re:Delphi on Linux?

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:53:35 -0500, Dan Star <dans...@execpc.com>
wrote:

}Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
}Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
}be hard.

I really think it would be very hard to do!

Don't forget how much the Windows APIs come into things.

And if they did port it, you'd probably have to start a fair amount of
your projects from scratch.  Especially if they're making direct API
calls!

Cheers...

wrote:

}Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
}Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
}be hard.

BTW: I'm all for it, if it can be done!!!!

Cheers...

Re:Delphi on Linux?

At the recent Borland conference the technology keynote demonstrated the
object compiler for Linux.  This compiler worked with .OBJ files produced
through C++ or Delphi.  Throughout the conference the leadership contiuned
to make reference to Delphi for Linux at almost every event.

The CEO stated in the opening keynote "Thanks Microsoft, for giving us the
money to port all our stuff to Linux!'.  I guess that about sums it up.

Conclusion: There WILL be a Delphi for Linux.

Dan Star <dans...@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
> Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
> be hard.

> --Dan

Re:Delphi on Linux?

> Conclusion: There WILL be a Delphi for Linux.

The most powerful RAD on the planet together with the most powerful OS
on the planet, I am in heaven! :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re:Delphi on Linux?

Looking forward to it.  All Linux now needs is a RAD development
enviroment.  Delphi would dominate I think if done right.

--Dan

Robert Dytmire wrote:

> At the recent Borland conference the technology keynote demonstrated the
> object compiler for Linux.  This compiler worked with .OBJ files produced
> through C++ or Delphi.  Throughout the conference the leadership contiuned
> to make reference to Delphi for Linux at almost every event.

> The CEO stated in the opening keynote "Thanks Microsoft, for giving us the
> money to port all our stuff to Linux!'.  I guess that about sums it up.

> Conclusion: There WILL be a Delphi for Linux.

> Dan Star <dans...@execpc.com> wrote in message
> > Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
> > Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
> > be hard.

> > --Dan

Re:Delphi on Linux?

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:53:35 -0500, Dan Star <dans...@execpc.com> wrote:
>Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
>Solaris version in the works so I wouldn't think a port to Linux would
>be hard.

Here are some _official_ information sources:

  Inprise Announces Commitment To Linux

http://www.borland.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?http://www.borland.com/abo...

  Borland Linux Developer Survey Results (the survey ended July 31, 1999)
  http://www.borland.com/linux/

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Re:Delphi on Linux?

Robert Dytmire wrote:

> At the recent Borland conference the technology keynote demonstrated the
> object compiler for Linux.  This compiler worked with .OBJ files produced
> through C++ or Delphi.  Throughout the conference the leadership contiuned
> to make reference to Delphi for Linux at almost every event.

> The CEO stated in the opening keynote "Thanks Microsoft, for giving us the
> money to port all our stuff to Linux!'.  I guess that about sums it up.

> Conclusion: There WILL be a Delphi for Linux.

YESSS... I can finally ditch winblows!

MH.

--
Martin Harvey.
mc...@harvey27.demon.co.uk

Re:Delphi on Linux?

: Dan Star <dans...@execpc.com> wrote:

>Does Borland have any plans for Delphi on Linux?  I know there is a
>Solaris version in the works

To clarify - JBuilder for Linux and Solaris is in beta testing and has
been demoed in public.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:Delphi on Linux?

> YESSS... I can finally ditch winblows!

> MH.

And give up your base clients? How many businesses do you think will go to
Linux? It's hard enough for a business to find decent network people for the
pitance they want to pay them, do you think they could afford a Linux system
complete with on-board programmer to maintain it?

I guess I just don't understand all the Linux hype. Practically speaking,
Unix and Unix-based (Linux) systems require more expertise and knowledge to
maintain. It has been my experience that businesses are more and more hiring
idiots and semi-idiots (experience vs inexperience) to maintain their
networks and PC's. This is mainly due to the fact that they don't want to
spend the money to pay for quality people. Maybe Linux is great as a
development environment and for guys/gals like us that can handle the
flexibility that it gives, but I see more and more businesses moving away
from Unix boxes except those that have a specific need for them. And most of
those pay highly for maintenance.

Now, my view may be slanted because I have never worked for mega companies,
mostly companies with 500 or less employees. I would be willing to bet,
though, that these types of businesses account for at least 85% of all
businesses. And most of the ones that I have dealt with have a hard time
swallowing the 50K plus price tag of a good network person. Pay anything
less than that and you get a semi-trained, half-conscience network
administrator who can't be found when the system crashes on Saturday and
everyone is working on stuff that needs to go out the door on Monday
morning.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I just don't see much call for Linux by
anyone except programmers. But, I also don't get to go to these computer
shows around the country, either, so maybe I'm wrong here.

Woody

Re:Delphi on Linux?

  Amen!  --  I am SO tired of hearing about Linux...  --  Yes, it's cool...
Yes, it's free...  NO, it'll NEVER get within 20 miles of my computer, or
ANYONE I personally know....  --  Until *ANY* OS can come up with a system
like Windows (with DirectX, etc...), I'm sticking with (as will 99% of the
world) Windows....

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software          Bomb Tech:  If you see me running, try and keep up!"

Woody <woody....@ih2000.net> wrote in message

> > YESSS... I can finally ditch winblows!

> > MH.

> And give up your base clients? How many businesses do you think will go to
> Linux? It's hard enough for a business to find decent network people for
the
> pitance they want to pay them, do you think they could afford a Linux
system
> complete with on-board programmer to maintain it?

> I guess I just don't understand all the Linux hype. Practically speaking,
> Unix and Unix-based (Linux) systems require more expertise and knowledge
> maintain. It has been my experience that businesses are more and more
hiring
> idiots and semi-idiots (experience vs inexperience) to maintain their
> networks and PC's. This is mainly due to the fact that they don't want to
> spend the money to pay for quality people. Maybe Linux is great as a
> development environment and for guys/gals like us that can handle the
> flexibility that it gives, but I see more and more businesses moving away
> from Unix boxes except those that have a specific need for them. And most
of
> those pay highly for maintenance.

> Now, my view may be slanted because I have never worked for mega
companies,
> mostly companies with 500 or less employees. I would be willing to bet,
> though, that these types of businesses account for at least 85% of all
> businesses. And most of the ones that I have dealt with have a hard time
> swallowing the 50K plus price tag of a good network person. Pay anything
> less than that and you get a semi-trained, half-conscience network
> administrator who can't be found when the system crashes on Saturday and
> everyone is working on stuff that needs to go out the door on Monday
> morning.

> Just my thoughts on the matter. I just don't see much call for Linux by
> anyone except programmers. But, I also don't get to go to these computer
> shows around the country, either, so maybe I'm wrong here.

> Woody

Re:Delphi on Linux?

Bravo!

And since when is LINUX such great technology? The sad fact of the matter is
that its architecture rests on UNIX which was originally designed to manage
phone switches with < 8KB of RAM and tape storage. Security? No better,
maybe worse, than competing O/S. About all it has to offer is low
acquisition cost and open source. While this may appeal to some the high
maintenance costs are going to discourage the majority.

Woody <woody....@ih2000.net> wrote in message

> > YESSS... I can finally ditch winblows!

> > MH.

> And give up your base clients? How many businesses do you think will go to
> Linux? It's hard enough for a business to find decent network people for
the
> pitance they want to pay them, do you think they could afford a Linux
system
> complete with on-board programmer to maintain it?

> I guess I just don't understand all the Linux hype. Practically speaking,
> Unix and Unix-based (Linux) systems require more expertise and knowledge
> maintain. It has been my experience that businesses are more and more
hiring
> idiots and semi-idiots (experience vs inexperience) to maintain their
> networks and PC's. This is mainly due to the fact that they don't want to
> spend the money to pay for quality people. Maybe Linux is great as a
> development environment and for guys/gals like us that can handle the
> flexibility that it gives, but I see more and more businesses moving away
> from Unix boxes except those that have a specific need for them. And most
of
> those pay highly for maintenance.

> Now, my view may be slanted because I have never worked for mega
companies,
> mostly companies with 500 or less employees. I would be willing to bet,
> though, that these types of businesses account for at least 85% of all
> businesses. And most of the ones that I have dealt with have a hard time
> swallowing the 50K plus price tag of a good network person. Pay anything
> less than that and you get a semi-trained, half-conscience network
> administrator who can't be found when the system crashes on Saturday and
> everyone is working on stuff that needs to go out the door on Monday
> morning.

> Just my thoughts on the matter. I just don't see much call for Linux by
> anyone except programmers. But, I also don't get to go to these computer
> shows around the country, either, so maybe I'm wrong here.

> Woody

Re:Delphi on Linux?

Woody wrote:

> > YESSS... I can finally ditch winblows!

> > MH.

> And give up your base clients?

What clients? The work I do for my company is embedded stuff in C... I
program in Delphi simply because I like it.

> How many businesses do you think will go to
> Linux? It's hard enough for a business to find decent network people for the
> pitance they want to pay them, do you think they could afford a Linux system
> complete with on-board programmer to maintain it?

If you don't have the programmer, you have the same maintainability and
flexibility as windows. If you do have the programmer, then it's
considerably better.

MH.

--

Jason Wallace wrote:

>--  Until *ANY* OS can come up with a system
> like Windows (with DirectX, etc...), I'm sticking with (as will 99% of the
> world) Windows....

I'm lousy with all the game and game playing things. But is there some
special reason why there should be DirectX support for the usual business
applications? Is DirectX even widely used with AutoCAD or other graphics
applications?

Beside DirectX, I don't no much about Linux (in practice) either.
Yet someone said DirectX would be on it's way also to Linux.

Personally, I don't know what will be my favorite operating system
after 3 years. It could even be Epoc, or something else.

Markku Nevalainen

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads