Printer Problems (W95)

Karl Dyson wrote:

> Hello there,

> I've been writing a program recently (in Tp7) which needs to run under
> the MS-DOS shell in Windows 95. Which it does.

> Until... you try to print.

> I've tried using many different printer units and this problem still
> remains:

> If the printer is offline or inaccessible, then Windows 95 still keeps
> trying to print. It brings up a requester and if you click "Cancel" it
> crashes the pascal program.

> Does anyone have a printer unit which can get around this problem? I
> have looked in the SWAG archive and none of them have helped.

> I'd appreciate any help you could give,

> Thanks,

> Karl
> --
> Karl Dyson <ka...@feklore.demon.co.uk>
> "Obnoxiousness is not a problem, it is an art."

All of my programming is in TP7. When one of my clients moved to Win95,
the exact same problem turned up. The only solution that I have found is
to drop out of Windoze completely. Then the printer works fine.

If this isn't acceptable you may have to switch to TPW 1.5 or Delphi.

--
Val Mehling - anti-spam in effect.
For e-mail reply to:

Re:Printer Problems (W95)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:42:45 -0700, Val Mehling <va...@ix.nutcom.com>
wrote:

>> If the printer is offline or inaccessible, then Windows 95 still keeps
>> trying to print. It brings up a requester and if you click "Cancel" it
>> crashes the pascal program.
>> Does anyone have a printer unit which can get around this problem? I
>> have looked in the SWAG archive and none of them have helped.
>> I'd appreciate any help you could give,

[...]

>All of my programming is in TP7. When one of my clients moved to Win95,
>the exact same problem turned up. The only solution that I have found is
>to drop out of Windoze completely. Then the printer works fine.

This problem may be overcome by telling Win95 _not_ to spool a DOS
print job but to send it directly to LPT. The default setting is
spooling (which is safer, of course).

My Computer
  Printers
   click alt-rightbutton on the icon for the current printer
     Details
       push lower left button

i.e. the button besides the button named probably "spooling".
The first field of this box is usually checked (spooling). You may
uncheck it.

Regards
Horst

Re:Printer Problems (W95)

Horst Kraemer wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:42:45 -0700, Val Mehling <va...@ix.nutcom.com>
> wrote:

> >> If the printer is offline or inaccessible, then Windows 95 still keeps
> >> trying to print. It brings up a requester and if you click "Cancel" it
> >> crashes the pascal program.

> >> Does anyone have a printer unit which can get around this problem? I
> >> have looked in the SWAG archive and none of them have helped.

> >> I'd appreciate any help you could give,

> [...]

> >All of my programming is in TP7. When one of my clients moved to Win95,
> >the exact same problem turned up. The only solution that I have found is
> >to drop out of Windoze completely. Then the printer works fine.

> This problem may be overcome by telling Win95 _not_ to spool a DOS
> print job but to send it directly to LPT. The default setting is
> spooling (which is safer, of course).

> My Computer
>   Printers
>    click alt-rightbutton on the icon for the current printer
>      Details
>        push lower left button

> i.e. the button besides the button named probably "spooling".
> The first field of this box is usually checked (spooling). You may
> uncheck it.

> Regards
> Horst

Thank you. I have printed out your message and will try it as soon as
possible.

--
Val Mehling - anti-spam in effect.
For e-mail reply to:
  va...@earthlink.net

Re:Printer Problems (W95)

>>> If the printer is offline or inaccessible, then Windows 95 still keeps
>>> trying to print. It brings up a requester and if you click "Cancel" it
>>> crashes the pascal program.
>This problem may be overcome by telling Win95 _not_ to spool a DOS
>print job but to send it directly to LPT. The default setting is
>spooling (which is safer, of course).

This is not an ideal solution - but if it works it'll do just fine. :)

Thanks for the help.

Karl
--

Val Mehling <va...@ix.nutcom.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<3591C735.6...@ix.nutcom.com>...

> Karl Dyson wrote:

> > Hello there,

> > I've been writing a program recently (in Tp7) which needs to run under
> > the MS-DOS shell in Windows 95. Which it does.

> > Until... you try to print.

> > I've tried using many different printer units and this problem still
> > remains:

> > If the printer is offline or inaccessible, then Windows 95 still keeps
> > trying to print. It brings up a requester and if you click "Cancel" it
> > crashes the pascal program.

> > Does anyone have a printer unit which can get around this problem? I
> > have looked in the SWAG archive and none of them have helped.

> > I'd appreciate any help you could give,

> > Thanks,

> > Karl
> > --
> > Karl Dyson <ka...@feklore.demon.co.uk>
> > "Obnoxiousness is not a problem, it is an art."

Did you try the "Print directly to port" option of Windows 95? It *might*
help because the data isn't supposed to be spooled anymore.

--
Arsne von Wyss - avonw...@gmx.net
| Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://www.beaulieu-software.ch/avonwyss |