Conditional aggregate selects

In a Sybase project, I have a long select with many conditional
clauses inside a COUNT function. The values are then returned under
different field names as so:

SELECT COUNT(IF race = 'B' THEN 'B' ENDIF) as black,
  COUNT(IF race = 'W' THEN 'W' ENDIF) as white,
  COUNT(IF race = 'H' THEN 'H' ENDIF) as hispanic,
  COUNT(IF race = 'A' THEN 'A' ENDIF) as asian,
  COUNT(IF race = 'I' THEN 'I' ENDIF) as native,
  COUNT(IF race = 'O' THEN 'O' ENDIF) as other,
  COUNT(IF disabled = 'P' THEN 'P' ENDIF) as disabled_physical,
  COUNT(IF disabled = 'M' THEN 'M' ENDIF) as disabled_mental,
  COUNT(IF disabled = 'N' THEN 'N' ENDIF) as disabled_none,
  <...more statements...>
  FROM clients

This is my first IB project and I'm a bit befuddled about how to
achieve the same conditional type of select or whether it is possible
to specify different return field names through some means other than
the AS keyword. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Mark Shapiro
info...@swbell.net
.