BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the default dBASE Driver Level to
install as 3, instead of the default 7.
My users can't use dBASE 7 and need 3.
Short of walking them over the phone thru BDE Admin for every workstation, I
have no workaround.
Needless to say, this is unacceptable.

I am using Wise InstallMaster, but it doesn't seem to be picking up current BDE
settings.
How can I set the BDE dBASE Driver Level to 3 after installation?
By the way, setting the Registry DOES NOT Help. For some reason, the BDE insists
on ignoring the Registry Setting.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland\Database Engine\Settings\DRIVERS\DBASE\TABLE
CREATE\LEVEL=3

Help!

Re:BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

Wise allows you to set any BDE configuration value as part of your
installation, however, the method for doing it is not well documented. You
must create an alias as part of your installation whether you need it or
not. In the Alias Parameters edit box include strings such as

\SYSTEM\INIT\LOCAL SHARE: TRUE
\DRIVERS\PARADOX\INIT\NET DIR: %MAINDIR%\BDENET

to change the BDE settings. The two examples above set Local Share to True
and set the NetDir path. The trick is to find the "path" string for the
parameter you wish to set. To find the path see the end of the examples for
DbiOpenCfgInfoList at www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex. It is too bad
this is not documented in the Wise manuals because it works great.

Bill

--

Bill Todd - TeamB

Re:BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

>No matter what I do I can't seem to get the default dBASE Driver Level to
>install as 3, instead of the default 7.

Are you saying you can't set this parameter or you can't create anything except
a level 7 table?

>My users can't use dBASE 7 and need 3.
>Short of walking them over the phone thru BDE Admin for every workstation, I
>have no workaround.
>Needless to say, this is unacceptable.

>I am using Wise InstallMaster, but it doesn't seem to be picking up current BDE
>settings.

For new installations you can set the value in the Idapi.cnf in the BDEinst
directory.  This is just a BDE config file with a different extension that gets
used as a template when creating a New BDE installation.

To modify and existing BDE config use dbiOpenCfginfolist
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

I'll try it.
Brian Bushay TeamB wrote:
> >No matter what I do I can't seem to get the default dBASE Driver Level to
> >install as 3, instead of the default 7.
> Are you saying you can't set this parameter or you can't create anything except
> a level 7 table?

> >My users can't use dBASE 7 and need 3.
> >Short of walking them over the phone thru BDE Admin for every workstation, I
> >have no workaround.
> >Needless to say, this is unacceptable.

> >I am using Wise InstallMaster, but it doesn't seem to be picking up current BDE
> >settings.

> For new installations you can set the value in the Idapi.cnf in the BDEinst
> directory.  This is just a BDE config file with a different extension that gets
> used as a template when creating a New BDE installation.

> To modify and existing BDE config use dbiOpenCfginfolist
> http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

I'll try this too.

Re:BDE default install dBASE Level BAD BAD BAD

Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks again.

This worked like a champ!

A Major Problem -- gone!

Did I say Thanks?

>> To modify and existing BDE config use dbiOpenCfginfolist
>> http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex/dbiopencfginfolist.html

Other Threads