P - System users???

Hello everybody,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
variation in this group.
           |    Andrew Hodgson - And...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk   |
           |  Amiga 1200 030 33Mhz    |       6x86 P150+      |
           | 250Mb HD   HD Disk Drive | Quad Spd CD 1.5 Gb HD |
           | 6Mb Ram | CDTV |  US Robotics 28k8  |  24Mb Ram  |
                        The best of both worlds ......

Re:P - System users???

Andrew Hodgson <and...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Hello everybody,

>Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
>Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
>using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
>it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
>variation in this group.

Many years ago there used to be UCSD Pascal, which worked with a P-code
system. No idea whether it is still around. Of course, Visual Basic is
essentially a P-Code system too, but it is not Pascal.

Re:P - System users???

In message <5f3t4m$...@falcon.le.ac.uk> - "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>27
Feb 1997 12:02:30 GMT writes:
:>

:>Andrew Hodgson <and...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk> wrote:

:>>Hello everybody,
:>>
:>>Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
:>>Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
:>>using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
:>>it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
:>>variation in this group.
:>
:>Many years ago there used to be UCSD Pascal, which worked with a P-code
:>system. No idea whether it is still around. Of course, Visual Basic is
:>essentially a P-Code system too, but it is not Pascal.
:>

The p-system is being sold by Cabot Software in England. It is available for a
number of platforms and still seems to have a following. At one time this was
the most advanced development system available on the PC. Borland borrowed
many of the features of the P-System and included them in Turbo Pascal.

David Mauriello

Re:P - System users???

David Mauriello <pai...@cpcug.org> wrote in article
<5f4844$...@news3.digex.net>...
In message <5f3t4m$...@falcon.le.ac.uk> - "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>27
Feb 1997 12:02:30 GMT writes:
:>

:>Andrew Hodgson <and...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk> wrote:

:>>Hello everybody,
:>>
:>>Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
:>>Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
:>>using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
:>>it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
:>>variation in this group.
:>
:>Many years ago there used to be UCSD Pascal, which worked with a P-code
:>system. No idea whether it is still around. Of course, Visual Basic is
:>essentially a P-Code system too, but it is not Pascal.
:>

> The p-system is being sold by Cabot Software in England. It is available
for a
> number of platforms and still seems to have a following. At one time this
was
> the most advanced development system available on the PC. Borland
borrowed
> many of the features of the P-System and included them in Turbo Pascal.

still don't understand.

you mean P-Code system is a major variant of Pascal?

> At one time this was the most advanced development system available on

the PC.
it was replaced by something better or died without followers?

From Vinson ABS.

Re:P - System users???

"Vinson ABS" <illus...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>you mean P-Code system is a major variant of Pascal?

No, it is not a question of language, but of implementation. Borlands
products are native compilers, they produce .EXE files, which can be run
directly on any compatible computer. P-code systems work differnetly:
they compile the high level language into an intermediary code (called
P-code), which is then interpreted by the run-time system (Visual Basic
is probably the most prominent system using this approach now). One might
say the P-code is the maschine code for an imaginary microprocessor, and
the P-code interpreter is an emulator to run this code on a real
computer. All emulators are inherently slower than native code, however,
programs in P-code can be run on different hardware platforms without
changes, provided suitable emulators are available.

Re:P - System users???

In article <70Ce5DA$OzEzM...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Hodgson
<and...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk> writes

>Hello everybody,

>Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
>Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
>using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
>it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
>variation in this group.
>           |    Andrew Hodgson - And...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk   |
>           |  Amiga 1200 030 33Mhz    |       6x86 P150+      |
>           | 250Mb HD   HD Disk Drive | Quad Spd CD 1.5 Gb HD |
>           | 6Mb Ram | CDTV |  US Robotics 28k8  |  24Mb Ram  |
>                        The best of both worlds ......

Yes,
        As part of my open university degree I am using it. Pile of
shite in my opinion. What course r u doing?
--
Eric

Re:P - System users???

"Vinson ABS" <illus...@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>David Mauriello <pai...@cpcug.org> wrote in article
><5f4844$...@news3.digex.net>...
>In message <5f3t4m$...@falcon.le.ac.uk> - "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk>27
>Feb 1997 12:02:30 GMT writes:
>:>
>:>Andrew Hodgson <and...@tcamiga.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>:>>Hello everybody,
>:>>
>:>>Just wondering if there is anyone out there using P-system as opposed to
>:>>Turbo Pascal, I'm currently studying for a degree, and wer'e currently
>:>>using this as the base language. Does anyone have any experience with
>:>>it? Seems to me there should be more of discussion of this sort of
>:>>variation in this group.
>:>
>:>Many years ago there used to be UCSD Pascal, which worked with a P-code
>:>system. No idea whether it is still around. Of course, Visual Basic is
>:>essentially a P-Code system too, but it is not Pascal.
>:>
>> The p-system is being sold by Cabot Software in England. It is available
>for a
>> number of platforms and still seems to have a following. At one time this
>was
>> the most advanced development system available on the PC. Borland
>borrowed
>> many of the features of the P-System and included them in Turbo Pascal.
>still don't understand.
>you mean P-Code system is a major variant of Pascal?
>> At one time this was the most advanced development system available on
>the PC.
>it was replaced by something better or died without followers?
>From Vinson ABS.

Cabot Software and the Power System (P-System) are alive
and at the forefront of technology. Hypermedia P-Code (HPC)
is the latest development, which targets the new market of
Digital TV.  Digital TV requires the portability, features and
compact size of UCSD P-Code.  HPC was voted the second
best solution for digital TV by DAVIC the worldwide standards
group for digital TV.

For general development Cabot supports the standard
platforms such as MSDOS, Windows 3.x, 95 & NT as well as
many other systems including many variants of UNIX. 32 bit
and OOP technology are also available.

If anyone wants more detail just ask, we send out regular
newsletters, email us at ca...@compuserve.com if you
would like an information pack or newsletters.

Gordon Wilkie
Cabot Software

Other Threads