Align top takes precedence over align right

I have a form with a panel aligned to the top and another panel aligned
to the right. The panel aligned to the top takes precedence so that it
covers the whole top. The one on the right just covers the right not
including where the top one is.

The trouble is I want it the other way round so that the one aligned
right takes precedence. Normally, to do this, I would align my right
panel to the right put another panel it and align it to client then put
my top panel in and align it to the top. This works great. But I can't
do this now because I am writing an MDI application and I can't have
anything in the space that the other two panels don't use because that
is where the MDI child forms need to appear and they won't appear on top
of a panel.

This is quite tricky to explain, even though it's easy if I could show
you, I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks for any help in advance.
--
Ian Dunn                     I...@polyhedron.com

Re:Align top takes precedence over align right

You've explained it quite well but I don't think it's doable.  I think
you'll have to rethink your use of panels or whether you really want an MDI
app.

How about dockable forms on the outside of the MDI parent?

Paul / ColumbuSoft

Ian Dunn <I...@polyhedron.com> wrote in message

> I have a form with a panel aligned to the top and another panel aligned
> to the right. The panel aligned to the top takes precedence so that it
> covers the whole top. The one on the right just covers the right not
> including where the top one is.

> The trouble is I want it the other way round so that the one aligned
> right takes precedence. Normally, to do this, I would align my right
> panel to the right put another panel it and align it to client then put
> my top panel in and align it to the top. This works great. But I can't
> do this now because I am writing an MDI application and I can't have
> anything in the space that the other two panels don't use because that
> is where the MDI child forms need to appear and they won't appear on top
> of a panel.

> This is quite tricky to explain, even though it's easy if I could show
> you, I hope you understand what I mean.

> Thanks for any help in advance.
> --
> Ian Dunn                     I...@polyhedron.com

Re:Align top takes precedence over align right

I suspect you'll have to programmatically size the panels in the form's
OnResize event.

"Ian Dunn" <I...@polyhedron.com> wrote in message

> I have a form with a panel aligned to the top and another panel aligned
> to the right. The panel aligned to the top takes precedence so that it
> covers the whole top. The one on the right just covers the right not
> including where the top one is.

> The trouble is I want it the other way round so that the one aligned
> right takes precedence. Normally, to do this, I would align my right
> panel to the right put another panel it and align it to client then put
> my top panel in and align it to the top. This works great. But I can't
> do this now because I am writing an MDI application and I can't have
> anything in the space that the other two panels don't use because that
> is where the MDI child forms need to appear and they won't appear on top
> of a panel.

> This is quite tricky to explain, even though it's easy if I could show
> you, I hope you understand what I mean.

> Thanks for any help in advance.
> --
> Ian Dunn                     I...@polyhedron.com

Re:Align top takes precedence over align right

I could do this but the problem is that I need them to be aligned so
that they reduce the client area of the main form. Otherwise the MDI
child windows will appear underneath the panels.

In article <0bXv4.4637$Xk2.28...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, Bruce Roberts
<no.junk.please....@attcanada.net> writes

--
Ian Dunn                     I...@polyhedron.com