AutoCAD DXF Files

I have seen translations of graphics files GIF etc, but I am looking for a
translation of DXF files.

Does anyone know where to get the file definition or even better, is there
any code to translate the files.

Cheers

Harry

Re:AutoCAD DXF Files

On 13 Jun 1997 13:52:01 GMT, "Harry Bouckley" <h...@opera.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>I have seen translations of graphics files GIF etc, but I am looking for a
>translation of DXF files.

>Does anyone know where to get the file definition or even better, is there
>any code to translate the files.

>Cheers

>Harry

The AUTOCAD DXF file format is basically a straightforward text file,
which contains descriptions of everything in the drawing. The first
half of the file is all about the plot areas, line types, and so on.
The second half actually describes the drawing. Each element of the
drawing is described with a list of the relevant parameters; where it
is, what it is, where the corners are, what colour it is, and so on.

I had to work this out for myself some years ago, and the trick is to
make a simple drawing, make the DXF file, and then read it with a text
editor. Then change something, and see what has changed. It's time
consuming, but not very hard. Most of the object descriptions
translate straight into Pascal graphics routines, so all you have to
do is to extract the parameters from the DXF file, scale them as
needed, and insert them into the parameter list for the graphics
routine.

If I can still find it, I have a program to do this, in TP4. If you
would like it, e-mail me, and I'll try to find it.

Frank Wood
wood...@dircon.co.uk

Re:AutoCAD DXF Files

Harry Bouckley wrote:

> I have seen translations of graphics files GIF etc, but I am looking for a
> translation of DXF files.

> Does anyone know where to get the file definition or even better, is there
> any code to translate the files.

> Cheers

> Harry

I've written some conversion software (DXF to Mann photolithography
format) and the DXF format isn't grossly complex. I've pulled a Revision
13 spec in Windows help format off of the net, as well as a Revision 12
spec in standard ASCII format. Any search engine will find it for you.
Try

http://www.simtel.net/pub/avalon/format_specs/

for a start.

Regards,

P. Scott Harris

Re:AutoCAD DXF Files

"N.J.Moynihan/P.S.Harris" <moyni...@hookup.net> wrote:
>Harry Bouckley wrote:

>> I have seen translations of graphics files GIF etc, but I am looking for a
>> translation of DXF files.

>> Does anyone know where to get the file definition or even better, is there
>> any code to translate the files.

We use a commercial package called Graf/Drive plus.  There are
additional drivers that allow one to create DXF/Postscript/TIFF/etc.
files using BGI calls.  If you are just interested in creating DXF
files, you may wish to take a look at this library. It's about $150 or
so for the base package and $99 for the additional drivers.
Fleming Software: (703) 591-6451.  They even have a BBS #,
but I don't have that right now.  If you need it, just e-mail me and
I can dig it up.

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.