Indy 8.1 Install problems

I'm trying to install the latest version of indy (8.1) in delphi6 and I get
the same error over and over. (i'm using the dclindy60.dpk)

First of all I completely removed all traces of the old indy components.
Then I compiled the new 8.1 package and it compiles fine with a few
warnings.  When I try to install it I get the error

"The procedure Entry Point @idstream@initialization$qqrv could not be loaded
in the dynamic link library indy60.bpl" then
"Could not load package C:\program
files\borland\delphi6\projects\bpl\dclindy.bpl.  The specified procedure
could not be found.".

I have verified that that files is in the bpl directory.  But I still get
the error message.  When I try and install the other file that says it's for
delphi 6 I get another error.

"Package  .......\indy60.bpl cannot be installed because it is not a design
time package"

any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?  This is pretty much the standard
install of Delphi6.  Nothing has been changed.  Other than removing the old
indy.

Thanks!

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3b5388fd_1@dnews>, sbarn...@barnettweb.com says...

> I'm trying to install the latest version of indy (8.1) in delphi6 and I get
> the same error over and over. (i'm using the dclindy60.dpk)

> First of all I completely removed all traces of the old indy components.
> Then I compiled the new 8.1 package and it compiles fine with a few
> warnings.  When I try to install it I get the error

> "The procedure Entry Point @idstream@initialization$qqrv could not be loaded
> in the dynamic link library indy60.bpl" then
> "Could not load package C:\program
> files\borland\delphi6\projects\bpl\dclindy.bpl.  The specified procedure
> could not be found.".

> I have verified that that files is in the bpl directory.  But I still get
> the error message.  When I try and install the other file that says it's for
> delphi 6 I get another error.

> "Package  .......\indy60.bpl cannot be installed because it is not a design
> time package"

> any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Please check to see if you have any old Indy files from the Delphi
install.  You probably should have Borland's MSI remove Indy from your
computer otherwise that install could try to "fix" the Borland install
messing up the Indy install.  This is done from Control Panel|Add Remove
Programs control panel applet.  Select Borland Delphi 6 and click the
"Change" button.  Then Select Modify|Program Files|Indy.  Press the down
arrow and select "Do Not Install".

After doing this, check your Windows\System Directory for a file such as
"Indy60.bpl" and delete it.  If you do not do so, you are likely to get
a conflict you described.

Incidentily, you do not install the Indy60.bpl into Delphi.  That's just
the run-time file.  You install the DclIndy60.bpl.

I also need to warn you that there is a bug in the Borland Delphi 6
install.  Even if you decide not to install in Delphi 6 (probably this
is also the case if Borland's install removes Indy), there still will be
debug DCU's from Indy 8.0.  Those have the prerfix "Id".  Those have to
be remvoed from the lib\Debug directory.  Please take care with that as
a mistake could mess up something.

I know what I say is complicated.  I have been working on an Indy
install that may help with some of this.  If I have discouraged you from
installing Indy yourself, you may wish to wait until an official Indy
install is released.  That may not be a bad idea anyway considering that
some Indy files on the Indy FTP site have some known bugs and things can
change rapidly (sometimes several times a day).

HTH.
--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

Thanks for the help!

One problem..  I followed everything you said..  I cleaned out everything to
do with the old indy install.  when i try and install the new one i still
get the error that says  "C:\program
files\borland\delphi6\projects\bpl\dclindy60.bpl could not be installed
because it is not a design time package."

Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks again!

"J. Peter Mugaas" <oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu> wrote in message

> [...]

> the run-time file.  You install the DclIndy60.bpl.

> I also need to warn you that there is a bug in the Borland Delphi 6
> install.  Even if you decide not to install in Delphi 6 (probably this
> is also the case if Borland's install removes Indy), there still will be
> debug DCU's from Indy 8.0.  Those have the prerfix "Id".  Those have to
> be remvoed from the lib\Debug directory.  Please take care with that as
> a mistake could mess up something.

> I know what I say is complicated.  I have been working on an Indy
> install that may help with some of this.  If I have discouraged you from
> installing Indy yourself, you may wish to wait until an official Indy
> install is released.  That may not be a bad idea anyway considering that
> some Indy files on the Indy FTP site have some known bugs and things can
> change rapidly (sometimes several times a day).

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

Hmmm...

I guess you can ignore that last post.  I changed one of the install options
from design time to design time/run time and it installed fine.  Now i just
have to figure out how to get the md5 sum of a file :)

Know of any good places to get help with how to use the new 8.1?  Help with
indy stuff seems to be few and far between.  I'm new to indy so I could be
wrong.

> [...]

> the run-time file.  You install the DclIndy60.bpl.

> I also need to warn you that there is a bug in the Borland Delphi 6
> install.  Even if you decide not to install in Delphi 6 (probably this
> is also the case if Borland's install removes Indy), there still will be
> debug DCU's from Indy 8.0.  Those have the prerfix "Id".  Those have to
> be remvoed from the lib\Debug directory.  Please take care with that as
> a mistake could mess up something.

> I know what I say is complicated.  I have been working on an Indy
> install that may help with some of this.  If I have discouraged you from
> installing Indy yourself, you may wish to wait until an official Indy
> install is released.  That may not be a bad idea anyway considering that
> some Indy files on the Indy FTP site have some known bugs and things can
> change rapidly (sometimes several times a day).

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

Click Compile, not Install. Then open dclIndy60.dpk and there you have to
click Install.

--
 Doychin Bondzhev - Team Indy
doyc...@dsoft-bg.com

"Stacey Barnett" <sbarn...@barnettweb.com> wrote in message

> [...]

> > the run-time file.  You install the DclIndy60.bpl.

> > I also need to warn you that there is a bug in the Borland Delphi 6
> > install.  Even if you decide not to install in Delphi 6 (probably this
> > is also the case if Borland's install removes Indy), there still will be
> > debug DCU's from Indy 8.0.  Those have the prerfix "Id".  Those have to
> > be remvoed from the lib\Debug directory.  Please take care with that as
> > a mistake could mess up something.

> > I know what I say is complicated.  I have been working on an Indy
> > install that may help with some of this.  If I have discouraged you from
> > installing Indy yourself, you may wish to wait until an official Indy
> > install is released.  That may not be a bad idea anyway considering that
> > some Indy files on the Indy FTP site have some known bugs and things can
> > change rapidly (sometimes several times a day).

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

Visit the web site http://www.nevrona.com/indy/ There is some new demos that
cover some of the new features in Indy 8.1. For MD5 there is MDxHashDemo.

--

In article <3b53c112$1_2@dnews>, sbarn...@barnettweb.com says...

> Thanks for the help!

> One problem..  I followed everything you said..  I cleaned out everything to
> do with the old indy install.  when i try and install the new one i still
> get the error that says  "C:\program
> files\borland\delphi6\projects\bpl\dclindy60.bpl could not be installed
> because it is not a design time package."

> Any idea what might be causing that?

I'm not sure but I usually do not recommend that you have the compiler
place the binary there as it could lead to conflicts later on
particularly as the install I am making will place the binaries in
elsewhere and add it to your path.  I often think of that directory as
the directory where BPL's come and STAY.

Another bit of kind advice I would give is to check your path.  If you
have two copies of something in different directories and they both are
listed on your path, you are likely to run into problems.

HTH.

In article <3b53c2a6_2@dnews>, sbarn...@barnettweb.com says...

> Hmmm...

> I guess you can ignore that last post.  I changed one of the install options
> from design time to design time/run time and it installed fine.  Now i just
> have to figure out how to get the md5 sum of a file :)

> Know of any good places to get help with how to use the new 8.1?  Help with
> indy stuff seems to be few and far between.  I'm new to indy so I could be
> wrong.

As my collique had mentioned, there are some Indy demos which are now
available for Indy 8.1 and there is an ongoing help effort.  Look at the
Teams home page for more information.  The new helpl file is not
complete yet but the contents of the help file are available in our VCS
and you can request access to that (or better still, you might be able
to provide some assistance in editing topics).  The old Indy 8.0 help
file might provide some assistance (there were some API changes though).

This having been said, I can provide you a general overview of Indy.
Indy is a little dirrent than many Internet components.  Indy is based
on blocking sockets where you program things in a sequence and the
functions do not return until they succede or fail (you use either
multithreading with the clients or use TIdAntiFreeze to prevent GUI
lockup).

In Indy, you would write a client program in a sequence such as this:

IdTCPClient.Connect;
try
  IdTCPClient.ReadLn;  {Read our greeting banner}
  IdTCPClient.WriteLn('COMMAND'); {Send a command}
  Reply := IdTCPClient.ReadLn;  {Read Our response}
finally
  IdTCPClient.Disconnect;
end;

The servers are like this as well accept that they are run through
events for each connection and you would do your ReadLn and WriteLn
within the conext of the thread.  There is a thread for each client
connection.  A server that would complement the client would be like
this:

procedure TForm1.IdTCPServer1Execute(AThread: TIdPeerThread);
var cmd : String;
begin
  AThread.Connection.WriteLn('My Banner');
  cmd := AThread.Connection.ReadLn;
  {whatever processing for the command}
  AThread.Connection.WriteLn('Reply');
end;

The thing you have to keep in mind is that many server events are
triggered in the context of your thread and not the context of your main
program.  Thus, you have to be very careful about updating your
program's GUI in the thread and you have to keep in mind that the same
program code may be running several times at once (concurrently).  In
fact, this could litterally happen without any pre-emptive multitasking
if you are running a Windows NT operating system with multiple CPU's.
Thus, you have to be careful about most your code and ensure that what
your code is using will be thread-safe (some older database frameworks
might not be thread-safe).

HTH.

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu
http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~oma00215/  ICQ Number:  14297043
Finger for PGP Key

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

I have had good luck updating things in the main program on my indy servers
using syncronize and critical sections.

Tony Caduto

Re:Indy 8.1 Install problems

In article <3b542f7d$2_2@dnews>, tcad...@execpc.com says...
> I have had good luck updating things in the main program on my indy servers
> using syncronize and critical sections.

Those are a good way to do that but I think that you would get a big
performce penalty for it.  Remember that the virtue is that you are
delaying something in the thread until it's safe to access the main
thread (those delays can be significant).

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu
http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~oma00215/  ICQ Number:  14297043