Multiple bitmaps

Hi, I am writing a program that plot many objects on a map,  the objects has
a symbol (bitmap) associated with them. I've heard that several TBitmaps can
use the same bitmap-handle, so I have a simple question, should i use a
TList and just keep one TBitmap for each symbol or should every object have
its own TBitmap to store the symbol?

The later option is simpler to code because the viewer is designed to
support diffrent types of objects and the objects is responible to handle
all their data on their own.

Is there a good way to share data between objects of the same class?
ie the first object creates a stringlist, and when additional objects are
created they get a pointer to that stringlist.
I think I want something like static variables in cpp.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Any suggestions?

Regards