how do i start another app and accessing access 97 mdb's

Hello,

I had some experience with Modula-2, and now i am starting with Delphi,
i use version 4 standard.
I have no idea that this question is even right for this group, but here
it is.

I am trying to distribute a program written in the run-time version of
access 97. I have 5 different distributions. for this i want to write a
program in delphi that gives the user a choise wath setup to use. So how
do i start another program from within Delphi ?

When the user pushes a button the program must terminate itself and run
another program, i have looked in the help files but can't find the
appropriate command to do so.

second question

I want to get rid of the access run-time and build it totally in delphi.
Whenever i try to link to the access mdb it starts to ask about
passwords and stuff. On this i know that the link is made via ODBC. I
don't want this...i want the bde to address the mdb directly. I bought
delphi 4 specialy for this reason, as the commercials announst that it
has native support for an access 97 database.

idealy would be that i can use the ms-jet to handle the data and delphi
to take care of the front. i don't want to use VB and i don't have time
to learn C++ to a level i can build a profesional database.

I have nowhere in the help-files found specified on how to address an
access 97 database

Thanks in advance

Re:how do i start another app and accessing access 97 mdb's

Start another app.
You must use the window API call , Winexec(..) or ShellExecute(..),
for more details please read the window API function call help file.

Accessing access 97.
I have somethings not understand your question, but I try to
give you a hints, if I got a miss understanding you question , please
let me know !
If you want delphi can read / write the access 97 not use the ODBC
you must have the Access 97 installed or you have the DAO 3.5 installed,
because the Delphi need this DLL files for connection.

Re:how do i start another app and accessing access 97 mdb's

Hello,

I have MS_Access 97, the ODE, VB 5 and VB 6 installed. The project is
curently written and distributed in the MS-Access runtime version, but i
want to get rid of that and make it into a real program.

I bought Delphi 4 because it advertised that there was native MS-Access 97
support for the mdb, but that is not working, it keeps going via the ODBC,
it indeed asks for some dll's, but i have them and even after pointing to
them manualy, it still doesn't work.

i want to get rid of the access runtime, but not of the jet-engine, i think
its a lot better then the bde of borland. I don't want 100+ tables and
indexes and queries floating around everywhere.

thanks for the other tip, i looked into that and that works

Jan

Pan wrote:
> Start another app.
> You must use the window API call , Winexec(..) or ShellExecute(..),
> for more details please read the window API function call help file.

> Accessing access 97.
> I have somethings not understand your question, but I try to
> give you a hints, if I got a miss understanding you question , please
> let me know !
> If you want delphi can read / write the access 97 not use the ODBC
> you must have the Access 97 installed or you have the DAO 3.5 installed,
> because the Delphi need this DLL files for connection.

Re:how do i start another app and accessing access 97 mdb's

Jan, here's something you can do:

(1) connect to your database using the MSACCESS driver.  If you want some
specific information, email me at solution.REMOVET...@fgi.net and I will
give you some details.
(2) for distribution, the latest version of Installshield Express will
install the DAO 3.5 DLLs for you.  This will eliminate your overhead of the
Access97 runtime, which you will have to install if you don't get the latest
version of Installshield Express.
(3) another suggestion, that I just thought of:  since you have VB6, create
a simple application that references the DAO structure (simple DB program)
and create an installation file for it.  Then install that program before
you install your Delphi DB.  Again, if you want some specifics, email me.

I don't blame you for wanting the Access database structure, for I use it
myself sometimes.  The major problem with Access that I found is that it
takes tremendous overhead (9MB) and is not feasable for small applications.

Good luck on learning D4.  It's a great program, and, in my opinion,
superior to VB.

Jan Adriaenssens wrote in message <3686D69E.BF7E0...@glo.be>...

>Hello,

>I have MS_Access 97, the ODE, VB 5 and VB 6 installed. The project is
>curently written and distributed in the MS-Access runtime version, but i
>want to get rid of that and make it into a real program.

>I bought Delphi 4 because it advertised that there was native MS-Access 97
>support for the mdb, but that is not working, it keeps going via the ODBC,
>it indeed asks for some dll's, but i have them and even after pointing to
>them manualy, it still doesn't work.

>i want to get rid of the access runtime, but not of the jet-engine, i think
>its a lot better then the bde of borland. I don't want 100+ tables and
>indexes and queries floating around everywhere.

>thanks for the other tip, i looked into that and that works

>Jan

Re:how do i start another app and accessing access 97 mdb's

Hello Douglas

I know its a great program, i did modula-2 and liked the structure of the
language very much

1) have you found a way HOW to link native to the access driver from within
Delphi ? Everyone that i talked to sayd it wasn't working.Allan Strydom gave me
a solution for it, something that can be found on
http://members.xoom.com/islamov/ and is called diamond
It ignores both the BDE and ODBC
The problem is just that the native support for access 97 that is supost to be
build in inti D4 is not working.

2) I presume you are talking about about IS 5.5 ? If i have to install the
rumtime i can just as well stay with the program that i have now, so that is the
last thing i want to do

3) Thanks, i havent thought of that one, i could easely create a setup that does
nothing more then installing the DAO engine, i am going to look into that, but
talking about overhead won't that install also the VB runtime ?

Happy newyear to all of you

Jan

Douglas G. Phillips wrote:
> Jan, here's something you can do:

> (1) connect to your database using the MSACCESS driver.  If you want some
> specific information, email me at solution.REMOVET...@fgi.net and I will
> give you some details.
> (2) for distribution, the latest version of Installshield Express will
> install the DAO 3.5 DLLs for you.  This will eliminate your overhead of the
> Access97 runtime, which you will have to install if you don't get the latest
> version of Installshield Express.
> (3) another suggestion, that I just thought of:  since you have VB6, create
> a simple application that references the DAO structure (simple DB program)
> and create an installation file for it.  Then install that program before
> you install your Delphi DB.  Again, if you want some specifics, email me.

> I don't blame you for wanting the Access database structure, for I use it
> myself sometimes.  The major problem with Access that I found is that it
> takes tremendous overhead (9MB) and is not feasable for small applications.

> Good luck on learning D4.  It's a great program, and, in my opinion,
> superior to VB.

Other Threads