Screen saver not recognized by Windows 2000 and 98

First I tried to build a screen saver from scratch (Delphi 4).  Worked
alright, but Windows 2000 displays a blank description in the list of
available screen savers and greys out the options when I select it.  Then I
found the Borland article on the Web 'Creating a 32-bit screen saver in
Delphi' with a ready-to-run example.  Works great, but not recognized by
Windows; same symptoms.  According to MSDN there has to be an
'IDS_DESCRIPTION' in the string table, but how do I get that into a Delphi
program?  Tried compiler directive $DESCRIPTION to no avail (even with
'SCRNSAVE: text').

Does anyone know how to do this in Delphi?

Joep Beckeringh

Re:Screen saver not recognized by Windows 2000 and 98

You can't influence the index number of strings added by the
'resourcestring' keyword, so you will have to add the description by hand.
Install Borland Resource Workshop (included on the Delphi 5 Enterprise CD)
or some other resource editor, open the executable and add another string
table that holds entry 1 with the description as text.

"Joep Beckeringh" <j...@beckeringh.myweb.nl> schreef in bericht

> First I tried to build a screen saver from scratch (Delphi 4).  Worked
> alright, but Windows 2000 displays a blank description in the list of
> available screen savers and greys out the options when I select it.  Then
> found the Borland article on the Web 'Creating a 32-bit screen saver in
> Delphi' with a ready-to-run example.  Works great, but not recognized by
> Windows; same symptoms.  According to MSDN there has to be an
> 'IDS_DESCRIPTION' in the string table, but how do I get that into a Delphi
> program?  Tried compiler directive $DESCRIPTION to no avail (even with
> 'SCRNSAVE: text').

> Does anyone know how to do this in Delphi?

> Joep Beckeringh

Re:Screen saver not recognized by Windows 2000 and 98

Indeed, that did the trick (using Borland C++ 5.0 Resource Workshop).
Thanks.

Joep Beckeringh

Other Threads